Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 04:11 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,042,579 times

Advertisements

No you are not too old at all. If I was running that Starbucks I would love some older folks to apply. Maybe they wouldn't be texting all day long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,472,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboyohboy View Post
Been out of work for almost a year. Was earning six figures but can't seem to find a job. I'm getting desperate. I applied to Starbucks for a management position but I'm 51 and I see it's mostly a young crowd there. Am I too old?
What field is this that you were earning six figures but have been able to find another job (for a year) with all that experience under the belt?

Old 09-29-2014, 06:30 PM

366 posts, read 434,295 times
It's funny that you mention this, because I was thinking that at age 42, I also am starting to get a little long in the tooth for some jobs.

Whenever I look for employment on job sites, I DO tend to move along past any jobs that contain the words..."fun college gig", or have pictures of employees enjoying a game of ping pong in the break room. This usually means that there isn't a soul there (including management) who was born before 1990. Not that those are bad places to work, I just don't feel I would fit in there, and they probably pay nothing.

No, I think you would be just fine there. 51 isn't old.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:57 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,348,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGuy123 View Post
Somebody please find the name of this book for me!
Google is your friend. Type "book ad executive gets job at starbucks" into the search engine and you will get links to buy the book and the New York Times review, among hundreds of other references.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:18 PM

6,887 posts, read 11,267,623 times
Smile Employees at Starbucks

My husband goes to Starbucks 3 times a day - sometimes, he hits a different one. (We work long hours).

He has seen all ages but he must be a creature of habit b/c they see him come in and presto, he's all set.

I personally like seeing all ages around but make sure you smile and look pleasant.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,913,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post

The local Starbucks near me as a number of middle aged people working there. A lot of these types of jobs are turning to hire older people because they tend on average to be more reliable workers.
We learned a whole different set of ethics - decades ago - and the generations above us made work tough until you learned the ropes. It's now called bullying or racism. We learned to work for a living and do any job the best you could without whining/cutting corners or you get fired. It follows you into any field and helps you excel.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 PM

671 posts, read 1,121,342 times
Not if you are qualified.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:12 PM

42 posts, read 66,624 times
I've seen a lot of Starbucks employees who are "mature" - I personally have always thought maturity to be a plus at work, when accompanied by flexibility and a good attitude. I think at 51 with great business experience, those two factors make you a very desirable employee. Other factors will be considered, but just those two won't disqualify you at all.

Old 09-30-2014, 04:56 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,149,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndieGuy123 View Post
Somebody please find the name of this book for me!
Since you didn't ask for a lesson on how to use Google ...

Here it is on Amazon.

Name of it is "How Starbucks Saved My Life: A Son of Privilege Learns to Live Like Everyone Else" and it's by Michael Gates Gill.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:37 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,824,870 times
Just an opinion here, but the fact that you didn't think to use Google/Bing/etc. to find the title of the book in question, makes me think that your mentality--not your age--might make it a bit difficult to fit in with the younger crowd at Starbucks.

Start reading current events (on your tablet, not a newspaper). Get interested in newer music, current trends, newer phones, "books", etc. Nothing cooler than a "hip" older person. Stay near the counter during "rush" periods. Learn to recognize people and try to remember their names (they're written on their beverage cups when they order--make sure to misspell their names in a twisted, cool way [think "Sooozen"), and say "Hi, Susan! Good morning." etc. Wander out and "clean" and bus tables. Smile. Have fun.

BE INTERESTING and KNOWLEDGEABLE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment