Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:48 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,314,380 times

Advertisements

I have been an RN for almost 25 years and I need to get out of healthcare ASAP. I am struggling with anxiety and depression over this because I just need to be done and I can't take it anymore. I just want a simple job where someone's life is not in my hands every time I go to work.

I have started applying at the large anchor stores at our local mall such as JCPenney, Dillard's. and Macy's. I realize that I will have to take a large pay cut, but I am not trained to do anything except nursing and I have to get out. I have job hopped for the past five years (three jobs in five years) trying desperately to find a job that I can stand so that I can make it to retirement age, but it ain't happening. Does anyone know if a middle-aged, burned out RN would be considered for retail positions at the mall?

Please don't laugh, this is really what I want to do. I cannot express how burned out I am.

Last edited by canudigit; 11-02-2014 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 05:11 AM

249 posts, read 331,571 times
I believe anything is possible! Interesting how I easily believe that for others, but when it comes to myself . . . well that is something I am seriously working on!

I've worked for myself as a seamstress the same amount of time as you've been a nurse. I'm making a total career change. How long will it take? I don't know. But all I know is I'm going to follow my heart ... and see where life leads me.

We gotta try. Right? Just keep at it honey. Keep applying to all the stores that appeal to you. I truly believe in my heart of hearts you will get a job you want. And most of all, you'll be happy.

Perseverance is the key!

BTW ... I totally understand about burn out. Me too! Time for a change for both of us!

Old 11-02-2014, 06:07 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Have you looked in RN at doctor's offices, universities, etc.? There are plenty of low stress RN positions that don't involve patient care (other than 5 minutes at a time) and life and death decisions.

Can you survive making a fraction of your current salary?

Old 11-02-2014, 06:16 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I have been an RN for almost 25 years and I need to get out of healthcare ASAP. I am struggling with anxiety and depression over this because I just need to be done and I can't take it anymore. I just want a simple job where someone's life is not in my hands every time I go to work.

I have started applying at the large anchor stores at our local mall such as JCPenney, Dillard's. and Macy's. I realize that I will have to take a large pay cut, but I am not trained to do anything except nursing and I have to get out. I have job hopped for the past five years (three jobs in five years) trying desperately to find a job that I can stand so that I can make it to retirement age, but it ain't happening. Does anyone know if a middle-aged, burned out RN would be considered for retail positions at the mall?

Please don't laugh, this is really what I want to do. I cannot express how burned out I am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Have you looked in RN at doctor's offices, universities, etc.? There are plenty of low stress RN positions that don't involve patient care (other than 5 minutes at a time) and life and death decisions.

Can you survive making a fraction of your current salary?
I agree, that's a great recommendation. Many large companies also employ RNs (google Corporate RNs) as well as the good old fashioned School RN job (with summers off!).

Old 11-02-2014, 06:28 AM

I get what you're saying, but honestly, I think my recent job hopping might ruin any chances of those kinds of jobs. I have only been at my current job for just over a month and I already know that it is not for me. They lied about the time commitment and on-call requirements and about hiring another RN to help with my patient load. However, if I apply elsewhere and put this company on my resume', a potential employer will call them and not be told any of that and it will just make me look unstable.

Honestly, I just want out of nursing altogether. 25 years is a long time to commit to any career, particularly one as stressful as nursing. I want to work somewhere where people go to have fun, not to be sick and/or die.

I haven't worked in retail in many years, so I was wondering if anyone here could shed any light on how picky they are about hiring people from another field of work, such as nursing. Would a company like Dillard's or JCPenney just pitch my application when they see that I am used to making $30+/hour and have no recent retail experience, or would they considered that I am educated and have many years of customer service experience, since a big part of being a nurse is giving good customer service? I pointed that out on my application, and I honestly don't care about the pay cut, because DH and I are at a point in our lives where I still need to work but I don't have to make a huge amount. We don't have that many bills and we have some money in the bank that we are going to invest soon in some rental properties, which is a business that we used to be in for years before selling our properties, plus DH gets a monthly pension from a previous job that he worked at for 30 years. Between the rental income, the pension, and his current income, we would be fine with me in retail. I just don't know how to convince the retail stores of that fact so that they aren't afraid that I will get my first paycheck and go running for the door.

Last edited by canudigit; 11-02-2014 at 06:39 AM..

Old 11-02-2014, 06:32 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
I have been there (not as an RN) but burned out and just need a break. Absolutely you can get a job in retail. I would recommend boutiques. They tend to pay more than the average store. When I was managing I was always desperate for people with flexible schedules that had any work under their belt!!!

Old 11-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I have been there (not as an RN) but burned out and just need a break. Absolutely you can get a job in retail. I would recommend boutiques. They tend to pay more than the average store. When I was managing I was always desperate for people with flexible schedules that had any work under their belt!!!
Thank you so much! I definitely have a flexible schedule now that our kids are grown, and I am a hard worker. I also realize that retail can be hard work and that it isn't always a bed of roses. However, I see all these women my age and older working in stores at the mall, and I think I would like to do what they're doing.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:49 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Why not go to nursing school and teach? Still somewhat nursing and you have the experience for it

Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeb View Post
Why not go to nursing school and teach? Still somewhat nursing and you have the experience for it
Thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't want to do anything that has anything to do with nursing anymore. I also don't have my BSN or MSN, and most teaching jobs require those.

I know there are non-bedside positions in the field of nursing, but I just want out of healthcare entirely. I want to spend my last several productive, working years doing something else.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
Between the internet and robotics I think retail is going to be phased out in the next five to ten years. Malls are dying and some chains are gradually dying (sears and radio shack).

Are you in a union?

I'd hate to say it but much of the time someones life is in everyones hands all the time. When I worked in retail we were shown a number of safety videos because people DID die in our competitors. Accidents happen. At one point someone put pool chemicals right above fertilizer. It leaked creating an explosion and fire in a store down south.

Perhaps you could learn medical coding and work for one of the companies of it (Epic or Meditech)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment