Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:50 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,511,449 times

Advertisements

He should stick with it try and get in a year so it looks good on his resume. This is not his dream job, this is a start and not a bad one, not a great one.

Around the 6 month mark there, while at home(not at work) he should start looking at other jobs to see what is out there. 2 months from 1 year anniversary start to apply other places.

A year experience at this job will then get him into a better job as long as he is presentable, sharp and ready to work at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:58 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,758,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Have you ever talked to a teacher about their job? I know many who were absolutely miserable...sometimes it was the kids....sometimes it was the other faculty or administrators.....sometimes it was the ridiculous laws and regulations on education.
My hubs has been a teacher for nearly 30 years and would leave today if he had another job lined up that paid enough.

The bolded part above is his main sticking point, especially as he is in Special Education. Other pains over the years have been nutty parents (you run across more than usual with Sp. Ed. kids), and rarely the kids...he has had two that were especially horrible, but mostly he loves the kids. He has been blessed to work with a great principal and fellow teachers all these years.

But the pay isn't great ('round here, anyway). A man really has to have a summer job lined up to make decent money as a teacher....or be married to another teacher! All the two-teacher couples I know have done quite well.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:34 PM

31 posts, read 68,225 times
The best thing you can do for your son is to back off and let him make his own decisions and mistakes.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:43 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
The being able to get a good job you love out of college, with real good pay, depends on the degree you graduate with.
I would say that is a myth in most cases even if a highly demanded degree is chosen. Almost everyone has to start at the bottom of whatever area they chose unless they have really great connections.

Maybe your son should look at vocational or technical training. Too few people going that route now because of white, middle-class peer pressure for everyone's kid to go to college.

P.S. I am an executive-level manager at an organization of about 300 people. I have received little-to-no training as part of my career. Instead, I have listened, watched, asked questions and figured things out myself. The training I have received has been largely useless anyway since every situation tends to be different. College should have taught him to think and problem-solve which, if you think about it, is training for knowledge-based white-collar jobs.

Last edited by War Beagle; 12-03-2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old 12-03-2014, 04:15 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,916,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
As some of you may know, my son will graduate within next few weeks with a Sociology degree and Minor in General Business; he has many years of experience in retail. He just started working as a recruiter coordinator at a small company with no previous recruting experience. Today was his second day working at the company and he is disappointed by the lack of training; they expect him to search around different systems and websites, and is setting up a phone training of a software next few days. He was expecting them to sit down and train him all day long in depth, rather than asking him "are you OK" and bla and letting him look around the sites they use with no clue. They asked him to bring his own laptop, which I believe is ridiculous and cheap of them not providing him with one especially since the owner is wealthy with previous work he has done and managed multi million dollar companies.

Another big cons is that they offer no benefits at all; no paid vacation/sick days/holidays, no health insurace no nothing. He just get paid for the hours he works (8-4 M-F job) and no real lunch break (but he is allowed to leave the office for short time if wanted, and noticed the other employees left for 20 min and came back and ate at their desk). Is this common at small businesses? It truly suck

He gets paid only $15/h with small bonus (few dollars more than his current retail job!) Yes, he is happy he got a full time job even before graduating, but it feels like this is like another retail job except no work on weekends/nights. He only applied to few jobs and had an interview at a great large company with benefits but offered position to somebody else. He rejected an interview with Enterprise since he just got this job and heard bad reviews working there (long hours, low pay & having to wash cars).

What tips do you have? When should he be lookin for another better paying job with benefits and actual salary? He doesn't even know what holidays the company is closed for.

Please help he feel unhappy and somewhat depressed already!
Your son should decide what to do. He is an adult.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:34 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
As some of you may know, my son will graduate within next few weeks with a Sociology degree and Minor in General Business; he has many years of experience in retail. He just started working as a recruiter coordinator at a small company with no previous recruting experience. Today was his second day working at the company and he is disappointed by the lack of training; they expect him to search around different systems and websites, and is setting up a phone training of a software next few days. He was expecting them to sit down and train him all day long in depth, rather than asking him "are you OK" and bla and letting him look around the sites they use with no clue. They asked him to bring his own laptop, which I believe is ridiculous and cheap of them not providing him with one especially since the owner is wealthy with previous work he has done and managed multi million dollar companies.

Another big cons is that they offer no benefits at all; no paid vacation/sick days/holidays, no health insurace no nothing. He just get paid for the hours he works (8-4 M-F job) and no real lunch break (but he is allowed to leave the office for short time if wanted, and noticed the other employees left for 20 min and came back and ate at their desk). Is this common at small businesses? It truly suck

He gets paid only $15/h with small bonus (few dollars more than his current retail job!) Yes, he is happy he got a full time job even before graduating, but it feels like this is like another retail job except no work on weekends/nights. He only applied to few jobs and had an interview at a great large company with benefits but offered position to somebody else. He rejected an interview with Enterprise since he just got this job and heard bad reviews working there (long hours, low pay & having to wash cars).

What tips do you have? When should he be lookin for another better paying job with benefits and actual salary? He doesn't even know what holidays the company is closed for.

Please help he feel unhappy and somewhat depressed already!
He should start looking right away. He should not reveal the name of his current employer to anyone. He should be careful where he posts his resume. If there are still head hunters out there, they might blanket the area with his resume.

And for Gods sake, don't support candidates that are antiunion.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
That's his dream but he has low gpa and believes passing the praxis exam is difficult, as is getting a teaching job.
If it were his "dream," it seems like he would have, I don't know, majored in education/gotten certified to teach? And maintained a competitive GPA?

FWIW, the Praxis exams are ridiculously easy. Probably a lot easier tan they should be.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:54 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Bad news, Mom. Junior's instructors aren't the reason why he got poor grades.

National Trends in Grade Inflation, American Colleges and Universities
OK, so now it's a double whammy. Low GPA in an easy degree. The third strike would be if he attended a low ranking school. Final blow would be a ridiculous amount of debt. However, that scenario is much too common now it seems,

Old 12-04-2014, 07:07 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,606,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
He should stick with it try and get in a year so it looks good on his resume. This is not his dream job, this is a start and not a bad one, not a great one.

Around the 6 month mark there, while at home(not at work) he should start looking at other jobs to see what is out there. 2 months from 1 year anniversary start to apply other places.

A year experience at this job will then get him into a better job as long as he is presentable, sharp and ready to work at it.

Aside from knowing someone at "X" company and having an "In", the above is his best option. He graduated with what many see as a useless degree with a less than stellar GPA. If he builds up experience he will get to the point where the degree and the GPA don't really matter. Nearly every interview I have been on, the interviewer has always asked about past work/internship experience. In contrast my degree is rarely if ever being brought up (honestly the degree feels more like a set-piece) and I have never heard anyone ask me about my GPA.

I do not mean to say that degree and GPA are useless but for many jobs it is your experience that matters more in securing work (especially the longer you have graduated college).

Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 PM

527 posts, read 709,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If it were his "dream," it seems like he would have, I don't know, majored in education/gotten certified to teach? And maintained a competitive GPA?

FWIW, the Praxis exams are ridiculously easy. Probably a lot easier tan they should be.
Education major is difficult. He is not the brightest student, but is street smart. College isn't for everyone.

Actually praxis exam is difficult.. Sample test of Social Studies field is hard!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment