Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 10:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post
When a professor is a strict grader, then yes. Sorry, but we all like the easy way out.
So when he gets a bad review at work it will be his manager's fault? He'll get far in life with that kind of attitude. Sorry, but a 2.64 doesn't take much effort. And one professor doesn't drag one's GPA down that much over 4 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 06:03 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
2.64. Had he know about ratemyprofessor.com he would have gotten much higher.
Bad news, Mom. Junior's instructors aren't the reason why he got poor grades.

National Trends in Grade Inflation, American Colleges and Universities

Old 12-03-2014, 07:03 AM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
And you all said that I was being too hard on mom. I just saw the bull puckey first. She's an apologist for her son.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:34 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk31088 View Post
And you all said that I was being too hard on mom. I just saw the bull puckey first. She's an apologist for her son.

To be fair, some posters said she was too involved in her first thread, or quickly stated as much in this one. Wmsn4Life, Joe from Dayton, Veuvegirl and Convextech are a few that stated she was too involved.

I, on the other hand, felt she was trying to counsel him. Putting the blame for his gpa on his professors, however, was the big reveal, for me.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:36 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,539 times
I think you are right to be concerned. I recently had a co-worker try to recruit me into talking to a recruiter, which led me to look up reviews of the company online (this one was called Aerotek). Many reviews by former employees make it sound almost like a pyramid scheme, where recent college grads are constantly being pulled in when they should be looking for something better. I'm not saying it's *that* shady, but it doesn't sound like a job you or your son should settle for and keep for years - keep looking. Don't quit, but stay only as long as you must.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:41 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,049,750 times
Quote:
As some of you may know, my son will graduate within next few weeks with a Sociology degree and Minor in General Business; he has many years of experience in retail. He just started working as a recruiter coordinator at a small company with no previous recruting experience. Today was his second day working at the company and he is disappointed by the lack of training; they expect him to search around different systems and websites, and is setting up a phone training of a software next few days. He was expecting them to sit down and train him all day long in depth, rather than asking him "are you OK" and bla and letting him look around the sites they use with no clue. They asked him to bring his own laptop, which I believe is ridiculous and cheap of them not providing him with one especially since the owner is wealthy with previous work he has done and managed multi million dollar companies.

Another big cons is that they offer no benefits at all; no paid vacation/sick days/holidays, no health insurace no nothing. He just get paid for the hours he works (8-4 M-F job) and no real lunch break (but he is allowed to leave the office for short time if wanted, and noticed the other employees left for 20 min and came back and ate at their desk). Is this common at small businesses? It truly suck

He gets paid only $15/h with small bonus (few dollars more than his current retail job!) Yes, he is happy he got a full time job even before graduating, but it feels like this is like another retail job except no work on weekends/nights. He only applied to few jobs and had an interview at a great large company with benefits but offered position to somebody else. He rejected an interview with Enterprise since he just got this job and heard bad reviews working there (long hours, low pay & having to wash cars).

What tips do you have? When should he be lookin for another better paying job with benefits and actual salary? He doesn't even know what holidays the company is closed for.

Please help he feel unhappy and somewhat depressed already!
Few points here. After reading the responses from Mommy dearest, there are several problems. Junior took a degree with no hope of a very positive career path out of school. Apparently it was viewed as "an easy way out" since he doesn't have to take accountability for his own less-than-stellar grades. Now Junior joins the ranks of career professionals that are still underemployed after the last economic downturn, and cannot figure out why he isn't walking into a $60k job!

The best thing here is to congratulate Junior on getting a job. Yay! Now we can watch him grow up and appreciate that life will be tougher than all those years sitting behind the desk listening to mean professors blather on. Having a crappy job first will greatly increase his appreciation for a really good job later in life when he pulls his cranium out of his posterior and takes on a serious job search, using those internet skills he has honed to find an employer with a reasonable set of expectations.

Also, most employers, including worldwide respected companies and some government agencies have horrific training or orientation programs. I don't know why, but it is true. I have been left to fend for myself more than I ever had any decent training anywhere I worked. Seems to be the way of the world - sink or swim. Junior needs to pull up his big boy pants and figure out how to swim pretty quick.

If he keeps the $15 per hour job ($31,000 annually) he can use the laptop at night for his search for a really nice position while still being able to pay off the student loans and buy all the ramen noodles he can stand as he matures into a well rounded young lad that will someday be CEO of something.

Or, he can run home to Mommy dearest who will tell him it's ok to quit if you don't like it honey, those people weren't nice to you anyway.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:34 AM

533 posts, read 1,199,045 times
Quote:
When a professor is a strict grader, then yes. Sorry, but we all like the easy way out.
What do you mean a "strict grader"? That the professor gave him the grade he deserved?

Old 12-03-2014, 08:56 AM

98 posts, read 269,034 times
Hey Vacationmacation,
Can I please have your address so I can mail you a big 'ol pair of scissors to cut those apron strings that are suffocating your son? It's your son's life, stop making excuses for him, the world IS NOT out to get him. if you keep stifling his growth, you'll be visiting him every other weekend in jail.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:10 AM

248 posts, read 259,282 times
Quote:
That's his dream but he has low gpa and believes passing the praxis exam is difficult, as is getting a teaching job.
Literally everything worth doing is difficult and will require some effort. Sounds like he just wants to take the easiest path possible through life.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:26 AM

284 posts, read 641,389 times
what was your son's career goals while in college?

honestly, he should be thankful for this opportunity. We live in a time where jobs & companies want YEARS of experience! he should stay at this job for at least a year to get some experience under his belt & to put on his resume. That sucks they don't train him, however, he needs to tough it out & try to learn for himself or simply ASK QUESTIONS if he needs help. There's no such thing as stupid questions. sorry to say mom, but I truly hope you're not the one making him feel like a failure about his low-level starter position .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment