Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 06:50 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,237,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
The well rehearsed science of denial...all racists are very smart about how that works. I know what I'm talking about. Enough said.
Typical. Imply I'm a racist so you don't have to deal with the aurgument.

My neice called me a racist because after posting a diatribe about the Mike Brown incident, I asked her if she had read the autopsy report of Mike Brown, and any of the Grand Jury testimony that corroberated the cops testimony that was released by the AG. She told me it didn't matter, and I was a racist for thinking it did.

That is probably the best example you'll find of the "science of denial" you refer to, but you may be trying to appply it to the wrong group.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:58 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,522,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1
is the belief that members of certain races are superior and other races are inferior. Racism is based on stereotypes and prejudice, but not all people who are prejudiced or who stereotype are racist. Racism is also behavior that is discriminatory or abusive towards members of another race based on the false belief that they are inferior. THE LATTER IS ILLEGAL.

You're telling me I need an education because racism is discrimination or bigotry on the basis of race and then go on to say it's not illegal, except when it involves businesses refusing to serve someone based on race.

I wrote that racism is defined as two things - a belief, and behavior that is abusive or discriminates against people, and that the latter is illegal - not the former, but the latter. So we are saying the same thing and you're saying I need an education. Do you know what former and latter mean?

And no, beliefs are not referred to as supremacists - supremacists describes a group of people, not beliefs.

PLEASE PEOPLE - USE A DICTIONARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm done. People who do not educate themselves and ignore the definition of words just to fit their narrative, are not worth my time and trouble.
Your statement about discriminatory or abusive behavior is wrong. It is not illegal. Your tangent on "latter" is silly and misplaced. Neither the belief nor the behavior are illegal. And you brought legality into the discussion for no apparent reason.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:24 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
You can quote as many definitions by mainly white academic men (which is part of the problem in itself).
We're speaking in English here. Every word in the language has been defined by a white person. If that means none of the definitions of the words we are using are valid, I'm not sure where the discussion goes from here. I suppose we can resort to grunts and gestures, but I am not so sure those would translate that well using this medium. For example I am making a very distinct gesture using my middle finger right now but you can't even see it, let alone know what it means. But I suppose that's for the best. If you could see it a moderator would probably have to censor it.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:30 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Seriously get over yourself.

Most people assume that I'm not originally from the US (and they're actually technically right), because I still have a slight accent, unusual maiden name, and I don't look stereotypically American.

She didn't even mention anything about race, it sounds like she's just curious about your background. Sure she may not have phrased things gracefully, but that wouldn't be a problem if you weren't inclined to play the victim.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:35 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRenaud View Post
Guys, just resign yourselves to the fact of the 21st Century, if you are white, you are racist, period. Everything that comes out of our mouths, regardless of our intention, is racist. We are not allowed to have a social faux pas or make any assumptions about any one or anything as it WILL be considered offensive and racist. We just don't "get it". (sarcasm intended)
Sure seems like it. Apparently white people should curl up in a ball in a corner out the way, cowering in the sheer immense guilt of daring to be born having ancestors from Europe.

Old 01-16-2015, 09:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job.

I think you received enough response... 290+ posts. Thread closed..

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-16-2015 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment