Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 11:10 PM

908 posts, read 961,856 times

Advertisements

just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...

Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,770,568 times
She might be ignorant or a fool but I would not automatically say she is a racist.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:01 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...
Maybe she looked at your last name and your appearance,and thought you were an immigrant.

Who knows,but why label the woman a racist?

You are not getting off on a good start......

Maybe she was just trying to have dialogue?
Maybe she also speaks the langauge she thought you spoke and wanted to find common ground?

Trust,if she was TRULY racist then she would not have said anything to you at all.

I find the true racists do not talk to people of other races at all.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe she looked at your last name and your appearance,and thought you were an immigrant.

Who knows,but why label the woman a racist?
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:29 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.
It's not racism. It's prejudice. Learn the difference.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,855,219 times
Lighten up! That's called conversation. Not racism. Please!!! Do you have any accent by any chance? And before you accuse me of being racist, many people have accents they may have picked up from their parents.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's not racism. It's prejudice. Learn the difference.
okaaay...

Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Um, no. It is not called racial profiling, nor does it meet the definition of racial profiling.

It is an inappropriate question based on an incorrect assumption, but I would not call it racist.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 01-14-2015 at 04:54 AM..

Old 01-14-2015, 04:47 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,146,302 times
I’d venture to say that some highly educated people could speak two languages just as recent immigrants can sometimes speak two languages. I think IMO that you’re closed minded and you’re just looking for something that you perceive as racist.

I’d also say that I hope this new employer shows you the door. There’s nothing worse in this world than people looking for a reason to be offended. Life’s a mountain get over it.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:56 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,525,693 times
Quote:

Whoa .... Lighten up.
I am going to guess that you are young around 20 years old.
Maybe not.

I see by your posts that you are choosing to jump on this pathetic racism bandwagon going on.

For the respect of yourself as a human and for your ethniticity, don't have such a mindset that you appear to.

I have worked with so many different people who come from different cultures and we all ask each other about specifics to them.

I suggest you either take a step back, take a deep breath, and not be so defensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment