Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:35 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times

Advertisements

And Pinkmani, let me add one more thing. Whether you meant to or not, your post illustrates the problem in our society. Instead of taking someones mistake about a country of origin and turning it into a teaching opportunity so they learn something, people get offended.

And the other issue is the notion that a question asking what a persons first language is, is equal to telling someone to go back to where they came from. They are not the same, yet many in our society would argue otherwise.

It makes it difficult to be sympathetic to the plight you are trying to share when we get these kinds of arguments.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I guess it's true what they say about ignorance being bliss. Seems like the members of the enlightened class invite a lot of conflict in to their lives by seeking offense and injustice around every corner. Perhaps a bit of tolerance towards the nescient unwashed plebeians you must occasionally interact with in your daily life would bring you a bit more tranquility.
Can you repost this in English?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:39 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
I guess I can kinda see it. "real" well frankly usually I can tell a bit as to where someone is from because frankly I've traveled, studied and been around people from all around the globe. I've pinpointed exact cities before. However, I've never asked what someones "real" first language is. Colonization created some odd things. People from Hong Kong with thicker British accents then those from London, Somalians with Italian names, Vietnamese that excel in French cooking etc.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:40 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,846,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.
i am not white,which is how i KNOW true racists do not talk to minorities at all

Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
Sounds like the OP is looking for reasons to be offended. Definitely a socially awkward question but I doubt there was malice involved.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,756,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Can you repost this in English?
Don't worry, be happy.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:45 AM

2,294 posts, read 2,780,997 times
I can't quite figure out what the OP's race could be based on this thread. People have mentioned black, yet I don't think anyone ever assumes a black person knows another language based on their race. If the OP was Mexican(or similiar) the question would have just been does the OP know Spanish.

I feel like the only areas where a race could lead to a question of what other language do you know is Europe or Asia, Europe can probably be ruled out because it's mostly white.

So OP is Asian?

Either that or the OP has such a heavy accent and that's what brought up this question... which makes this definitely not racism.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:47 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,846 times
Quote:
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...
In my opinion this was racist, prejudice, rude, etc whatever you want to call it. I would have told her none of her freaking business and kept it moving. Keep an eye on her.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
I'm white and Jewish, but I can "pass" as a Gentile. People are usually surprised to find out I'm Jewish because my surname isn't typical and I have blue eyes and Kate Middleton's nose and dimples.

Since I've lived abroad a lot and speak several languages, I'm used to curious but kind of dumb questions about my ethnic background, why I speak all these languages, my religion, etc.

Some of the questions I was asked in Europe would get someone fired here. But you have to kind of consider the environment you're in, and the person asking the question. Poland, for example, is overwhelmingly white and Catholic. Foreigners still aren't all that common in some places, especially Americans. Especially Jewish Americans living there. Especially Jewish Americans who speak Polish living there. Since most of Poland's Jewish population was either slaughtered by the Nazis or fled to friendlier countries, most Polish people don't know anything about Judaism. I was asked some questions that might seem pretty damn offensive to others. But these people really did NOT know anything.

Instead of getting offended, I decided to use it as an opportunity to dispel myths/stereotypes and educate the people asking questions.

Even here, I am asked stupid questions about my religion by immigrants who come from countries that have a miniscule Jewish population. One of my Indian coworkers once came up to me and asked with wide fearful eyes, "Are you a JEW?" They weren't angry or anything; if anything, they were part afraid, part curious. So I answered their questions. I'm sure they are asked stupid questions all the time too, like "Do you really worship cows?" and "Why do you worship statues with lots of arms on them?" and "Ganesh....REALLY?"

So it goes both ways.

I recommend the OP toughen up a bit.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:56 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,552 times
Quote:
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.
Hilarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment