Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:09 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,429,452 times

Advertisements

Racism - forcing blacks to use separate bathrooms, eat in separate restaurants, and ride the back of the bus.

Curiosity - Asking someone who appears to be foreign about their culture.

Grow a spine people

Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...
Sounds to me like you're the one with the problem.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
How are negative stereotypes in any way similar to asking someone if they speak another language?

Asking someone if they sleep with their cousins is a bit different than asking if the speak another language..

Sounds like someone is insecure about their nationality and uses anything to further rationalize their insecure thoughts.
They didn't ask if he spoke another language. They assumed he did based entirely on the way he looks, and then argued with him about it when he didn't validate their stereotype.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:42 AM

908 posts, read 961,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
How are negative stereotypes in any way similar to asking someone if they speak another language?

Asking someone if they sleep with their cousins is a bit different than asking if the speak another language..

Sounds like someone is insecure about their nationality and uses anything to further rationalize their insecure thoughts.
do people even read before posting here? i didn't say she asked me if i spoke another language. i said she kept insisting on finding out what my "real first language was." two very different things.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:44 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
So what ethnicity ARE you, anyway?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:55 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
^^ this is my point. it's not polite to make ASSumptions about people based on someone's appearance/race/ethnicity/religion. I just had this conversation with my 8 year old son. Do 50+ year old adults not get this?

And again, white people always say things like "you're oversensitive about this" b/c they have never had to face issues like this.

I am sure this lady was trying to make friendly conversation with me. I don't think she was trying to be rude, but that's the problem in itself. She (like many others) are clueless. Those who say things like "lighten up" are the ones who could probably see themselves saying similar remarks as this lady did.
So is she racist or just impolite?

Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,256 times
I wouldn't take any offense if someone asked me that. Its not racism, just curiosity. Some people are more blunt & say whats on their mind. Children of immigrants tend to be more sensitive about this issue as they are born American but their parents keep imposing their own culture on them so they end up hating being asked questions about their origins. They just want to be Americans & nothing else. But your skin color, accent clearly points to your country of origin. I have mistaken people from other states to be immigrants because of heavy accents. They did not take any offense & just laughed about it. There are so many people here from all around the world so these questions come up as conversation starters.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:59 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times
Quote:
^^ this is my point. it's not polite to make ASSumptions about people based on someone's appearance/race/ethnicity/religion. I just had this conversation with my 8 year old son. Do 50+ year old adults not get this?

And again, white people always say things like "you're oversensitive about this" b/c they have never had to face issues like this.

I am sure this lady was trying to make friendly conversation with me. I don't think she was trying to be rude, but that's the problem in itself. She (like many others) are clueless. Those who say things like "lighten up" are the ones who could probably see themselves saying similar remarks as this lady did.

Hi OP,
As an Italian American fellow, I've been called Michael Corleone , Rocky's cousin, yo hey johnnie, is your family in the mob or in the "Five Families "? are you Sicilian? I would just say, forgetabout it, laugh and walk away. END GAME. Next time ask her why?

Thanks,
Knight

Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
Quote:
do people even read before posting here? i didn't say she asked me if i spoke another language. i said she kept insisting on finding out what my "real first language was." two very different things.

it annoys me when white people do this.

remember, the people who are attacking you and defending the white idiot lady are white as well.

these people have no idea how annoying that crap is.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:02 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,837,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckygal View Post
I wouldn't take any offense if someone asked me that. Its not racism, just curiosity. Some people are more blunt & say whats on their mind. Children of immigrants tend to be more sensitive about this issue as they are born American but their parents keep imposing their own culture on them so they end up hating being asked questions about their origins. They just want to be Americans & nothing else. But your skin color, accent clearly points to your country of origin. I have mistaken people from other states to be immigrants because of heavy accents. They did not take any offense & just laughed about it. There are so many people here from all around the world so these questions come up as conversation starters.
playing off stereotypes, if i asked a white male how small his penis is, he would report me to HR.

why can't this guy do that with this white lady playing off stereotypes and annoying him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment