Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 06:33 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

What is in a name, what is in an appearance, what is in an accent?

As human being it is our nature to jump to conclusions.

My husband has lived in the USA for his entire life, if I were a person that hires --a first glance of his name I would think he just came off the boat. Hence why I/we made the decision to give all three of our sons a strong American name. It would just make life easier for them.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I think you're being too sensitive. She jumped to the wrong conclusion. And apparently with the wrong person.

I say she was trying to break the ice. She may be a great friend if you could find it in your heart to forgive you.

I can imagine the frustration of being stereotyped. I worked with a middle eastern man and assumed he was a staunch Muslim. There I go assuming. He may have been Muslim but when he wished me a Merry Christmas and said "God bless!" you could have knocked me over with a feather.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:46 PM

240 posts, read 239,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...
And what would she know about your backround? Find a way to get her fired

Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taajsgpm View Post
And what would she know about your backround? Find a way to get her fired
Why are you jumping to the conclusion that she is not allowed to know the information that she knows? You certainly seem intolerant of others when you don't know all of the facts. Are you a racist?

Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
At many bigger companies with zero tolenrance anyone that make direct comments about someone that is not work related can be subject to disciplinary action including termination. Lawsuit alone can easily cost more than the worker's salary.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)

Doesn't sound racist. Sounds like a paranoid american born minority looking for any excuse to whine and look for excuses why everyone else is racist.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:00 PM

409 posts, read 484,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
and this is racist because .... ??
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language.

This is the line I have the most problem with. She didn't accept his first answer. She was insistent that he must speak another language. She was determined to define who he is, rather than accept his answer. Why does she care so much? In our family's experience, people who try to force their definition of who you are on you and simply must know what you are, are bigots. IMO she isn't trying to strike up a friendly conversation. If she were, she would have accepted his first answer and moved on to ask a more friendly question, or offer some information about herself.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,475,764 times
I kind of have to agree... this doesn't seem to be a straight up case of racism. More like being stereotyped or perhaps "prejudice". Probably "ignorant" or "insensitive", of which this may not have been intentional. I've got a "I don't know how they do it in your culture" from one of my white coworkers. It raised a bit of eyebrow to me initially, but even then, only slightly. I can't expect him to know beforehand if I was raised like some 3rd generation [foreign] American (who may be more "American" then he is), hard core homeland values, or hybrid.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be similar to something I saw on a TV show where a female coworker did some huge thing (thwarted an upcoming terrorist plot, by solving a huge piece of the puzzle that no1 else was able to). Her male boss puts his hand lightly on her shoulder saying "great work!". Then she turns to her coworker and says "did you see that!? He touched me! He shouldn't have done that".

Old 01-14-2015, 09:32 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:

Describe your features......

Me smells BS.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:45 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
One of my black friends from NYC told me several years ago that no one at her workplace was more than "surface polite" to her and always acted nervous around her. She said she kept thinking -- these Southerners sure must hate black folks.

She said that one day she flat out said to a coworker -- "have I done something to offend you? You don't even look me in the face when you talk to me."

This really took the other lady off guard and she blurted out "God, I just hope I haven't done anything to offend you. We have all these HR sensitivity classes - I figure the less said, the better."

And so it goes. People are so afraid of being labeled a "racist" or a "bigot" that they would rather just not even engage in conversation with someone new and of a different race/culture than have something they say misinterpreted.

At least OP's coworker was trying to have a conversation . . . but obviously, she should have just kept her mouth shut and let OP figure out how to fill up the silence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment