Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2015, 10:29 PM

822 posts, read 1,285,060 times

Advertisements

What's your ethnicity so I can help you analyze the situation?

Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Um, no. It is not called racial profiling, nor does it meet the definition of racial profiling.

It is an inappropriate question based on an incorrect assumption, but I would not call it racist.
The question was asked only bc of race.
THEN, when answered, was met with incredulity and rudeness.

It's racism.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:44 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Describe your features......

Me smells BS.
Why is that even relevant?
OP has already stated in one of the posts that she has an MA in English and speaks perfect English.
I don't think the ethnicity of the "racist *****" is important either. Anyone could be guilty of stereotyping the OP here.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:03 PM

659 posts, read 940,993 times
Considering I got terminated YESTERDAY due to my accent, I will consider THAT racism rather than someone just asking me where I'm from.

I am a white female, born and raised in United States and yet, I still have people tell me (Americans themselves no less!) to go back to my own country, speak English, and or learn English and not be an illegal to name a few.

What's funny is that many so-called racist Americans don't even realize that sometimes their way of speaking is non-distinguishable (aka: country dialects).

Old 01-15-2015, 12:05 AM

16,603 posts, read 8,622,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Who knows,but why label the woman a racist?
Because some people are just conditioned to see racism everywhere, even where it does not exist. It is part of the PC mentality some people go through life with. I typically feel sorry for them, because they do not even realize they are afflicted.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:27 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The question was asked only bc of race.
THEN, when answered, was met with incredulity and rudeness.

It's racism.
We don't know why it was asked; the OP refuses to tell us the particulars. For all we know he is a white guy born in Moscow.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:34 AM

12,109 posts, read 23,293,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabiya View Post
Considering I got terminated YESTERDAY due to my accent, I will consider THAT racism rather than someone just asking me where I'm from.

I am a white female, born and raised in United States and yet, I still have people tell me (Americans themselves no less!) to go back to my own country, speak English, and or learn English and not be an illegal to name a few.

What's funny is that many so-called racist Americans don't even realize that sometimes their way of speaking is non-distinguishable (aka: country dialects).

Do you have a job where it is important to be easily understood on the phone or in person? If customers or coworkers can't understand you, you have an inability to meet a work requirement because of your inability to speak in a clear manner. So no, that would not be an example of racism either.

Old 01-15-2015, 05:56 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Use the opportunity to educate. Most people are ignorant rather than racist (big difference).

Yes, I have been a victim of racism before too. This isn't racism. Racism is when they think they are better than you by virtue of whose ethnic testicle they wiggled out of at conception. That hurts. Been there. It is a sport where I used to live (not USA).

This is just a clueless woman who could be clued in

Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 AM

772 posts, read 914,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Try putting yourself in the shoe of someone who's a third generation Asian American who speaks perfect English and see if you wouldn't be offended if someone asks you that out of the blue. Or are we asking for too much intelligence or empathy?
Sure thing, no problem !

At the liquor store I have been asked "what tribe I'm from" by a Native American, I wasn't offended in the least.. I just smiled, and said I'm just white, my great grandparents came here in the 1880's . then I made small talk with him for 5 minutes , no big deal.. everyone was happy and joking.

Another time, I was told they thought I was Mexican , same thing, not offended in the least, just happily explained where I was from, and asked them about where they are from .. Nobody was offended, everything was fine .

I guess I'm 4th generation german ? and i don't need to go run off and make a new thread on city-data everytime someone thinks I'm not white ...

I think the reason people think I am mexican or native american is because I get really tan in the summer , from being outside all day ..

Have a nice day !

Old 01-15-2015, 06:51 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language.

This is the line I have the most problem with. She didn't accept his first answer. She was insistent that he must speak another language. She was determined to define who he is, rather than accept his answer. Why does she care so much? In our family's experience, people who try to force their definition of who you are on you and simply must know what you are, are bigots. IMO she isn't trying to strike up a friendly conversation. If she were, she would have accepted his first answer and moved on to ask a more friendly question, or offer some information about herself.

Exactly. I thought I was in the Twilight Zone, where the normal rules of conversation don 't apply.

If the conversation had stopped before it had gotten to that point, I would have thought the OP was over-reacting. The other person acted like the OP was lying about what language they spoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment