Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 07:32 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,014,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
If you unloaded that rather large chip off your shoulder you might find you experience fewer unpleasant experiences with the people around you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
The OP probably mentioned it because it's rare that racist (whether direct or indirect) words are spoken. The majority of the racist things a person of color experiences are usually non-verbal. The majority of racists are too afraid to say it to one's face but will gladly rant about it on StormFront or some other online source.
Yeah, no.

When you have sunk to the level of ascribing racism to non-verbal cues you are desperately looking to hang on to anything to maintain your status as a victim.

Not buying that at all.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:49 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Maybe she looked at your last name and your appearance,and thought you were an immigrant.

Who knows,but why label the woman a racist?

You are not getting off on a good start......

Maybe she was just trying to have dialogue?
Maybe she also speaks the langauge she thought you spoke and wanted to find common ground?

Trust,if she was TRULY racist then she would not have said anything to you at all.

I find the true racists do not talk to people of other races at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.
Speaking of ASSumptions, do you know that jerseygal4u is a Black woman?

I'm thinking this person at work you are getting upset over probably hasn't had much exposure to people of other races and cultures. Is the area where you are now pretty homogenous?

I know a German woman who lived for a while in her husband's home state of Nebraska, and then she moved to New Jersey. She said that people in Nebraska would say all the time, "Oh, you have an accent! Where are you from?" She said she was happier in NJ where no one asks that question because so many people have accents, you could ask the question all day long.

Old 01-15-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
do people even read before posting here? i didn't say she asked me if i spoke another language. i said she kept insisting on finding out what my "real first language was." two very different things.
Maybe she is just stupid. Somewhere on the CD Adoption forum is a post about a mother who adopted a Korean baby and was asked by someone how she was going to understand the child when she started talking.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:04 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,234,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe she is just stupid. Somewhere on the CD Adoption forum is a post about a mother who adopted a Korean baby and was asked by someone how she was going to understand the child when she started talking.
Lmao.. . wow. Just wow.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
NO, he's not. He's experiencing a form of prejudice. THEY ARE DIFFERENT. One is based in the other, but THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING.

The examples you list are completely different from what the OP described. If the woman had tried to keep him from getting a job or getting promoted or doing his job based on his race, that would be an example of racism, which is when one race tries to wield power over another.

She made a bone-headed assumption. Hopefully the OP can rise above it and the fate of the company is secure.
Yes. Let's look at the word here, folks, speaking of English and languages and whatnot.

Prejudice. Pre-judgment.

Definition is: "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."

That definition sounds exactly like the OP's experience.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
We are.

If the woman had stopped after the first question, it would have been an honest mistake. Instead she says, "Surely, English CAN"T be your first language."

Come on, people. You guys can't be this obtuse.

Good point. I have a friend, born in India, raised Catholic as are many in the part of India from whence she comes, moved here when she was a teenager. Her name is Laura. People have asked her what her "real" name is, and she says, "Laura". They say, "No, your REAL, INDIAN name", and she says "Laura". It's the only name she's ever had.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Lmao.. . wow. Just wow.
There are incredibly stupid people in the world. I once knew a white girl who was dating a black guy. Her cousin in Germany wanted to know if it was weird to be dating a man who had a tail. Seriously. She actually, honestly thought black people had tails.

There was a Jewish poster on City-Data, now deceased, who told of the time he was in the Army with a man who had never met a Jew but kept looking intently at his head because he believed Jewish people had horns.

I read a story only about twenty years ago by a black man who was living in Maine in an area where there weren't many black people. A call had gone out for a particular blood type for a woman (white) in the area who needed surgery but had a rare component to her blood. This black man donated his blood, and after the successful infusion, the woman's husband called him to express his gratitude, and said, "I didn't realize you people had the same blood as us."

The writer said he was not offended because the man was honestly ignorant, but this experience had done a little bit to break down a wall.

I think there are a lot more people like this than we think.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM

212 posts, read 335,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Because some people are just conditioned to see racism everywhere, even where it does not exist. It is part of the PC mentality some people go through life with. I typically feel sorry for them, because they do not even realize they are afflicted.
This is the easy out. It's much more difficult to use introspection and see if there is anything about personal behavior that is limiting success. Much easier to blame bad results on the ever ubiquitous "racism!!"

Old 01-15-2015, 08:51 AM

212 posts, read 335,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes. Let's look at the word here, folks, speaking of English and languages and whatnot.

Prejudice. Pre-judgment.

Definition is: "preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience."

That definition sounds exactly like the OP's experience.
Agreed. But how do you refer to "preconceived opinions that ARE based on reason or actual experience"? Is this prejudice or just being discerning and careful?

Old 01-15-2015, 09:04 AM

5,209 posts, read 4,674,581 times
Quote:
just a vent.. i've experienced more subtle and not so subtle racism in my year living in WA than the past 20 years in CA. today was my first day at my new job. i was being introduced around and one lady says to me:
RB (Racist BXXXX)-- so what's your first language?
ME: What do you mean? i only know one language, English
RB: Surely you must know another language. English can't be your first language
ME: Why would you think English is not my first language (with death glare)
RB: (stumbling around) I just thought... well, with your background... (slow fade)
ME: SMH ...

another day in WA, another unpleasant experience with an ignorant RB...
How is this racism? All I see is curiosity coupled with some ignorance. Life is so much harder if you chose to take offense on small things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment