Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 09:12 AM

43 posts, read 81,612 times

Advertisements

Apparently there are hoofprints from a race with the "Devil" from the early 19th Century. The towns around Bath are loaded with legend of haints. I know the NCDOT ferryis free to Ocracoke and then there is a ferry for fee to the mainland (Swan's Point).

I have seen on television that seashore residents (lucky stiffs) near Cape Fear report the boomimg sound of the "Seneca Guns". My cousin Dennis has about 250 acres on Lake Canandaigua but has stayed with friends on Seneca and attests to the phenomena.

I am surprised that no one has ever reported phenomena from the shark murder of Sergi Zaloukaev which occured in Avon Labor Day weekend in 2001. I started doing research on this incident to write a book but could never get in touch with Natalia Slobodskaya, his partner who survived the attack.

Some documentary filnmakers got in touch with me and the following year came out with the film "Year of the Shark" which claimed the VA Beach and Avon attacks were overwhelmed by the 9/11 terrorist attacks. My co-worker who was in Avon Labor Day week told me Avon looked like Amity from the film "Jaws"...reporters and tv crews from as far away as Japan, West Germany and South Africa. Locals blamed the attacks on over-development: the waters being fished out and all the tourists being in the surf at the wrong times of day. Though tourists on Hatteras are a "cash cow" for the locals there is no love lost on the part of the locals.

I have walked Hatteras and Ocracoke beaches very late at night for hours by myself and the most frightening circustances I was exposed to were kids driving 4 wheel vehicles late with their headlights on traveling 50 mph or more.

thanks

Brian

Old 01-15-2015, 09:13 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,823,402 times
What it often boils down to is identity and it can get nasty. I'm in south east Mass and frankly you cannot tell people as easily. For example Haitians generally do not want to be considered African American. They had their independence much earlier then most of Africa. We have a very high Cape Veridan population and it is to the point where they have their own designation rather then African American. Just as middle eastern can be lumped into white and that includes north africa (confusing eh?).

Old 01-15-2015, 09:24 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoon View Post
Apparently there are hoofprints from a race with the "Devil" from the early 19th Century. The towns around Bath are loaded with legend of haints. I know the NCDOT ferryis free to Ocracoke and then there is a ferry for fee to the mainland (Swan's Point).

I have seen on television that seashore residents (lucky stiffs) near Cape Fear report the boomimg sound of the "Seneca Guns". My cousin Dennis has about 250 acres on Lake Canandaigua but has stayed with friends on Seneca and attests to the phenomena.

I am surprised that no one has ever reported phenomena from the shark murder of Sergi Zaloukaev which occured in Avon Labor Day weekend in 2001. I started doing research on this incident to write a book but could never get in touch with Natalia Slobodskaya, his partner who survived the attack.

Some documentary filnmakers got in touch with me and the following year came out with the film "Year of the Shark" which claimed the VA Beach and Avon attacks were overwhelmed by the 9/11 terrorist attacks. My co-worker who was in Avon Labor Day week told me Avon looked like Amity from the film "Jaws"...reporters and tv crews from as far away as Japan, West Germany and South Africa. Locals blamed the attacks on over-development: the waters being fished out and all the tourists being in the surf at the wrong times of day. Though tourists on Hatteras are a "cash cow" for the locals there is no love lost on the part of the locals.

I have walked Hatteras and Ocracoke beaches very late at night for hours by myself and the most frightening circustances I was exposed to were kids driving 4 wheel vehicles late with their headlights on traveling 50 mph or more.

thanks

Brian

Is this in the wrong thread???

Old 01-15-2015, 09:27 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stygmata View Post
Agreed. But how do you refer to "preconceived opinions that ARE based on reason or actual experience"? Is this prejudice or just being discerning and careful?
Interesting question, but the problem here is that very likely the preconceived opinions are based on reason or actual experience with persons who resemble the actual person with whom the current conflict exists, not that actual person himself.

For example, let's go back to the black man complaining that the white woman clutched her purse and looked behind him when he was nearby. He is insulted because he isn't a purse-snatcher.

However, the white woman is acting that way because, very likely, the only black man she has had a personal encounter with is a purse-snatcher. Or her friend or sister was the victim of a purse-snatching by a black man, or the closest African-American neighborhood to where she lives is a dangerous place with a lot of crime.

No, it's not fair to the black man. He is an individual human being and not responsible for what someone else has done.

Therein lies the biggest risk: If we are to be the people we should be, we have to take the risk that the individual human being before us is NOT the same as the person who looked like him or her with whom we had a negative encounter, and that's a hard thing for people to do.

Meanwhile, the black guy surely can understand WHY the woman's behavior is what it is, however. He doesn't have to accept it or like, no. Maybe the solution would be to take the situation head on and yell after the chicken woman, "Hey, just because I'm black, it doesn't mean I'm going to rob you!" and might make her think about what she's doing.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:36 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Interesting question, but the problem here is that very likely the preconceived opinions are based on reason or actual experience with persons who resemble the actual person with whom the current conflict exists, not that actual person himself.

For example, let's go back to the black man complaining that the white woman clutched her purse and looked behind him when he was nearby. He is insulted because he isn't a purse-snatcher.

However, the white woman is acting that way because, very likely, the only black man she has had a personal encounter with is a purse-snatcher. Or her friend or sister was the victim of a purse-snatching by a black man, or the closest African-American neighborhood to where she lives is a dangerous place with a lot of crime.

No, it's not fair to the black man. He is an individual human being and not responsible for what someone else has done.

Therein lies the biggest risk: If we are to be the people we should be, we have to take the risk that the individual human being before us is NOT the same as the person who looked like him or her with whom we had a negative encounter, and that's a hard thing for people to do.

Meanwhile, the black guy surely can understand WHY the woman's behavior is what it is, however. He doesn't have to accept it or like, no. Maybe the solution would be to take the situation head on and yell after the chicken woman, "Hey, just because I'm black, it doesn't mean I'm going to rob you!" and might make her think about what she's doing.

Or.... it could be because she actually doesn't know any black people in real life and depends on the media for what black people are really like.

I have actually said something like this. I stepped into an elevator with a white woman and her kids. I'm at work, with a namebadge on, dressed in a suit. This woman actually backs into a corner and clutches her kids to her. I looked at her and said, "cold in here, isn't it?". She nodded and had the grace to look embarrassed.

I don't understand this way of thinking... I honestly don't.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:48 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are incredibly stupid people in the world. I once knew a white girl who was dating a black guy. Her cousin in Germany wanted to know if it was weird to be dating a man who had a tail. Seriously. She actually, honestly thought black people had tails.
Tails are usually in the back...

Old 01-15-2015, 10:13 AM

920 posts, read 634,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Or.... it could be because she actually doesn't know any black people in real life and depends on the media for what black people are really like.

I have actually said something like this. I stepped into an elevator with a white woman and her kids. I'm at work, with a namebadge on, dressed in a suit. This woman actually backs into a corner and clutches her kids to her. I looked at her and said, "cold in here, isn't it?". She nodded and had the grace to look embarrassed.

I don't understand this way of thinking... I honestly don't.

I don't understand that way of thinking either. I also don't understand OP's way of thinking. I grew up in Texas. I am white, but I totally understand racism. I moved to the east coast in my 20's and was totally shocked at how racist those folks were! I understand racism from the perspective of people being uneducated (thinking that a black person's color would rub off if you shook hands, etc.) My father was a raging racist who compared black folks to cockroaches. Disgusting!

I currently live in the Seattle area and I find it extremely diverse. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I work at a large tech company where many employees are here on visas from other countries, but I find the encounter described by OP to be anything but racism. It seems that the woman was pushy and rude, but I don't see anything racist in the conversation.

I recall a black man telling me how racist people in Seattle are because he would walk around work and no one smiled at him. So a white person is immediately deemed racist because they don't smile at a black person. Seriously? Maybe the person who walked by him was upset about something? Maybe the person was thinking about other things and not the black guy's feelings if he snubbed him? Maybe he didn't like the guy because of his character and not the color of his skin?

Am I a racist because I am white? I lock the car door when I see a white woman walking up to my car. I also lock my car door when I see a bunch of kids of mixed race, wearing droopy pants and caps and all tatted up walking towards my car or on a street corner where I am stopped. I check out a buff black guy running through my neighborhood...because he's hot, not because I think he just robbed somebody and is running away. I also get concerned when I see a couple of white guys parked in my neighborhood just sitting in a car for 20-30 minutes for no apparent reason.

I get racism. I also get that people's actions are often motivated by personal experience, ignorance, and many other things that get called racism when that is not the underlying issue.

I do think that a segment of society actively seeks out reasons to cry racism, or sexism, etc., which demeans the struggle of those in our history that truly experienced and fought against racism and sexism. Sorry, but some idiot pushing me on my "first language" sure seems a far cry from having fire hoses turned on me for wanting to attend a public school or eat at the same lunch counter as everyone else.

Old 01-15-2015, 10:15 AM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
^^ this is my point. it's not polite to make ASSumptions about people based on someone's appearance/race/ethnicity/religion. I just had this conversation with my 8 year old son. Do 50+ year old adults not get this?

And again, white people always say things like "you're oversensitive about this" b/c they have never had to face issues like this.

I am sure this lady was trying to make friendly conversation with me. I don't think she was trying to be rude, but that's the problem in itself. She (like many others) are clueless. Those who say things like "lighten up" are the ones who could probably see themselves saying similar remarks as this lady did.
"it's not polite to make ASSumptions "

"white people always say things like"

Sounds like she's not the only one making ASSumptions You know since all "white people always say things like"

Old 01-15-2015, 10:24 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,339,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
Um, that's called racial profiling. And is that supposed to somehow make me feel better? I already know she's making ASSumptions based on my appearance. Hello Racism! White people will NEVER ever realize why their ignorant remarks are considered racist.
It sounds like your the one that is racist...way to make a huge sweeping statement about a whole race!
Honestly are white people the only ones that have made racist comments to you? because I am bi racial myself and have had much more problems growing up being picked on from black folks. If I had a penny for every time I have been called a "dirty Mexican" I would be rich...ignorance comes in all races sadly. Don't just pin it on all on whitey!

Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,342,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
cis_love, like ive been saying. ignore these posters. these are whites telling you how to feel when they dont have to deal with the stuff you have to on a daily basis.

the white was clearly out of line and stereotyping you. if she does it again, report her to HR.

end of story.
This is a pretty racist statement don't you think???? You don't think white people have to deal with "the stuff" either? You just made a blatant racist statement against white people. White folks deal with the stereotyping and profiling all of the time and yes, even racism. I went to lunch one day with a co-worker who is highly educated and in a very professional career. She is Hispanic, by the way. At the restaurant, we ran into someone she knew. After they exchanged pleasantries, she turned and introduced me to her friend as her "Anglo friend". I'm thinking what???? It's pretty obvious I am white so why did she point it out to her friend? Am I her ONLY white friend?? LOL She did this a couple of other times until I gently let her know how it offended me.

She in no way meant to offend me and I knew that, she just needed educating. I have lived in a predominately Hispanic area for many years and have experienced this type of stuff more times than I can count. Does it offend me sometime? Sure it does but I don't consider it racist, I consider it ignorance. Your race, what ever that may be, does not have the monopoly on this stuff.

I also was born and bred in the south and still live here and while I have lost much of my southern accent, I still have a bit of it left. You think folks don't stereotype me because of this or make assumptions?? Sure they do. I'll never forget when I traveled to New England for the first time to meet my husbands family before we married. SOOOOOO many stupid questions they asked me. They assumed folks from my state all lived on ranches, rode horses to work and had an oil well in their backyard. I just about fell out of my chair laughing. Folks also assume because I'm white and from Texas, that I MUST be racist, own tons of guns, that I'm a republican, arrogant, uneducated and that I eat grits with my breakfast and road kill for supper. The only assumption that is a little true here is that I own A gun, not tons of them, just one. The rest is completely false. Folks from all parts of our country/world have assumptions made about them just because of where they are from, doesn't mean it's racism.

I think EVERYBODY is guilty of stereotyping and profiling in one way or another. It's not that they are racist, they are just ignorant because they weren't taught any better or they have a lack of knowledge. We can change this ignorance by stop being so sensitive and recognize it for what it is then start educating people who do this in a productive and helpful way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment