Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 12:43 PM

1,855 posts, read 2,920,369 times

Advertisements

Car salesman troll of prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 31,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Quit complaining. I am a retired special education teacher. After working 30 plus years, with a Master's degree plus 40 post Master's degree credits, working a 70 to 80 hour week, I was making only a small fraction of your salary.

Frankly, what you call "huge drawbacks" seem like an easy life on the job to me.

You only work 50 to 55 hours a week AND earn $150,000 to $170,000? Quit bragging.

If you really don't like your job, give your notice, and try to find another job where you work so few hours for so much money. Sheesh!

I'm not bragging - the drawbacks at my job seem like gigantic things to me but perhaps that's because i don't have any outside perspective.

and how is 50-55 hours a week few hours? Are you kidding? There are shifts I work 14 hours sometimes. I get so many clients coming in making similar or more money working 9-5 jobs

And I can't say I dislike my job. I really do enjoy it at times, especially when I'm on a big hot streak and I'm selling 7 or 8 cars in a week (there are people who do that in a month), my general manager is the one who makes it so difficult by running it like the gestapo

Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Don't like your manager or the weather? Move to a more temperate climate and sell cars there. With your track record, you should be able to nab a sales job at any dealership.

this isn't an option. All my friends and family are here, I'm not interested in moving to middle of nowhere

It bears mentioning that I work at perhaps the best dealership in terms of sales, pay plan and profit in a few states. Finding another place with the opportunity I have here is very difficult at best and impossible at worst

Old 04-19-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
At your age and depending on the COL in your market in which you live and sell vehicles, you should easily be able to save 30-40% of that income which will give you a huge boost toward accruing enough for an easy life (depending on your lifestyle).
As another suggested if the manager is so bad your 'skill set' should be readily transferable with said achievement, so just go to another comparable style of vehicle dealer where you can continue your success in a lower COL area.

Me thinks this post may be bragging / validation related. Either way, if you are willing to be disciplined and self sacrifice for a few years and live modestly and maximize your savings / investments you should be able to chart your own course career wise with continued diligence. If you are undisciplined and profligate during these years you may be setting yourself up for a rude awakening by not creating an economic cushion. You could always then go on to learn another skill set to pursue whatever makes you happy career wise.

I net around let's say 9K a month after taxes and I save maybe 4500 of that so yes, I do live smart

You guys aren't grasping the concept of why I make the money I make. I work at a fantastic dealership (in terms of sales and profit) in a fantastic area for a company with a fantastic payplan. I'm going to make 40K selling cars in bum**** alabama

Old 04-19-2015, 12:57 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Quit complaining. I am a retired special education teacher. After working 30 plus years, with a Master's degree plus 40 post Master's degree credits, working a 70 to 80 hour week, I was making only a small fraction of your salary.

Frankly, what you call "huge drawbacks" seem like an easy life on the job to me.

You only work 50 to 55 hours a week AND earn $150,000 to $170,000? Quit bragging.

If you really don't like your job, give your notice, and try to find another job where you work so few hours for so much money. Sheesh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmab525235 View Post
I'm not bragging - the drawbacks at my job seem like gigantic things to me but perhaps that's because i don't have any outside perspective.

and how is 50-55 hours a week few hours? Are you kidding? There are shifts I work 14 hours sometimes. I get so many clients coming in making similar or more money working 9-5 jobs

And I can't say I dislike my job. I really do enjoy it at times, especially when I'm on a big hot streak and I'm selling 7 or 8 cars in a week (there are people who do that in a month), my general manager is the one who makes it so difficult by running it like the gestapo
Vent by special ed. teacher regarding double standard about who a student hits
Here is some perspective.

Please read my first post and see what it is like for other job holders. Especially read the part where I list all of my serious injuries that are just considered an expected part of the job (I did not even list all of them).

Thank your lucky stars that you have such a great job, with so few hours, and such an absolutely, amazing paycheck. And, I bet that you don't even have seven years of college (and seven years of college loans & expenses to pay back, like I did). Double Sheesh!

BTW, I really, really doubt that you have "many clients" coming in working 9-5 making that much money, especially if they are your age. What possible types of jobs do they have?

Last edited by germaine2626; 04-19-2015 at 01:29 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
You had me at "I sell cars for a living": No.

But then I read "the 150-170K in your mid 20s that I make" and I rethunk.

If you can't bear it, quit. If you can, live like a poor person and put away as close to 100k per year as you can. Your options will increase quite a bit if you have half a mil saved by the time you're 30.

But you didn't ask for advice, did you? You wanted to know if I would tolerate "the micromanagement is extremely intense - threatening my job over the smallest things on a consistent basis." No, I wouldn't, myself. But then I've never been successful in a sales environment, so I'm not sure my druthers are applicable to your situation.

A question to ask yourself: Is there something in particular that you'd be really happy doing besides this? If so, it might be worth a large pay cut to chase that dream while you can.

I live somewhere in between of a poor person and a rich person. I have a real nice car and a nice house but my house is 2,000 sqr feet and 3 bedrooms, it's not the 6000 sqr ft mini mansion that a lot of people with my income have.

and no there is nothing else I can think of doing that would make me happy and I'm not interested in taking a paycut. I love the money I make and I want to earn 250-500K at some point but I dunno how

Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
You only work 50 to 55 hours a week AND earn $150,000 to $170,000?
Yeah, I don't believe that for a second.

The Average Salary of a Car Salesman

Quote:
Car Salesmen
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, automobile dealerships employed 233,480 salespeople as of May 2011. That figure amounted to 61 percent of all sales workers at these dealerships. These salesmen and -women earned an average annual wage of $42,150, or $20.27 an hour. The best-paid 25 percent could make $54,010 or more, with the top 10 percent earning $74,230 or more. On the other hand, the lowest-paid 25 percent earned $24,540 or less, with the bottom 10 percent making $18,530 or less.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Vent by special ed. teacher regarding double standard about who a student hits
Here is some perspective. Please read my first post

interesting stuff. That's absolutely atrocious

I don't know what to tell you, I get paid a lot of money because I'm good looking, charismatic/can make people feel very comfortable around me and I'm good with numbers/maximizing profit

Old 04-19-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Yeah, I don't believe that for a second.

The Average Salary of a Car Salesman

My next pay check stub on friday will be around 47-48K and that doesn't include the 5K bonus that I will get at the end of the month or the 7K bonus I will get at end of the year for selling a certain amount of cars

I'm probably in the top 0.5% of people in my industry due to working at a great place (again for sales, the way employees get treated is atrocious) and also having a ferocious work ethic

Old 04-19-2015, 01:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,145,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmab525235 View Post
interesting stuff. That's absolutely atrocious

I don't know what to tell you, I get paid a lot of money because I'm good looking, charismatic/can make people feel very comfortable around me and I'm good with numbers/maximizing profit
Well good for you.

If you do not like the conditions you work in, then you will need to take a pay cut and work at another dealership. If you make this much money and do not want to leave this behind, then you will have to continue to deal with it. But you will have to make a choice. Myself personally, if I were making good money but miserable, I would probably walk away.

There are some things in life money cannot buy. Money cannot buy you love (despite what some say), it cannot buy happiness, it cannot buy real friends, it cannot buy peace with yourself. These are just a few examples of what money cannot buy. You yourself has to decide what out of life that you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment