Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 08:59 AM

31 posts, read 31,861 times

Advertisements

I sell cars for a living and there are some huge drawbacks. I work 50-55 hours a week, including every Saturday. The micromanagement is extremely intense - threatening my job over the smallest things on a consistent basis. My general manager is the absolute hardest person to work for that I've ever come across or even heard of. In the summer time, we have to wear long sleeve shirts and it can get very hot and horribly uncomfortable when it gets into the 80s and 90s. Winter time, we have to be outside and doing snow duty even when it's below 0

Would you tolerate all this to make the 150-170K in your mid 20s that I make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 09:54 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,549,150 times
Sure why not? Oil field workers work in harsher conditions and dont complain since they know what they signed up for. So do people in the military...

Invest the money then retire if you dont like it

Old 04-19-2015, 09:55 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmab525235 View Post
I sell cars for a living and there are some huge drawbacks. I work 50-55 hours a week, including every Saturday. The micromanagement is extremely intense - threatening my job over the smallest things on a consistent basis. My general manager is the absolute hardest person to work for that I've ever come across or even heard of. In the summer time, we have to wear long sleeve shirts and it can get very hot and horribly uncomfortable when it gets into the 80s and 90s. Winter time, we have to be outside and doing snow duty even when it's below 0

Quit complaining. I am a retired special education teacher. After working 30 plus years, with a Master's degree plus 40 post Master's degree credits, working a 70 to 80 hour week, I was making only a small fraction of your salary.

Frankly, what you call "huge drawbacks" seem like an easy life on the job to me.

You only work 50 to 55 hours a week AND earn $150,000 to $170,000? Quit bragging.

If you really don't like your job, give your notice, and try to find another job where you work so few hours for so much money. Sheesh!

Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM

179 posts, read 149,785 times
Do you really want an answer? Or are you just putting out there how much money you are making at such a young age?

Do you like or hate your job? If you hate it, move on.

What does it matter if anybody else would tolerate it? Do what you feel you need to do.

Do you have skills that could be better used at a job with conditions more to your liking? If so, what are pros/cons of moving on?

You are in your 20's, 10-15 years isn't necessarily long term. Do you think it will be easier to find a career choice later in life?

Are you saving/investing? Or spending/living on the moment? Maybe save money until you have enough that would allow you to take advantage of other opportunities, education or another job?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:23 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmab525235 View Post

Hell no.. For half a million maybe and then I would save it up for a year or two and get the hell out of there or even retire early. Sitting out in the cold, having to sound happy to everyone who visits your dealership, listening to micomanagers threaten your job all day?

Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Find a plan B which pays less for better conditions. Take the money for as long as you can take it, save as much as you can (shouldn't be hard working 6 days a week), then go to Plan B. Once you've got an idea what the Plan B is, don't sweat the threats over the job too much; if you're sellling enough cars to make $150K-$170K, you're clearly a damn good salesperson and they're not going to fire you at the drop of the hat. And if they do... well, that's when it's time for Plan B.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
If you are legitimately earning +150K selling cars, than you have nothing to complain about. There are hundreds of thousands of people employed to make the cars, and even the best paid earn around half of what you claim to make. The large majority earn under 45K on straight time. The work environments usually aren't climate controlled, and the jobs themselves are no more fun that what you describe.

Count your blessings. Yes, I would stick with it. While I don't deal with micromanagement, or any particular source of stress to speak of, most of that has to do with the overabundance of 20 dollar an hour jobs. 140K/year jobs are more of a rarity. In your case, I would ask what you have to fall back on, and if you think you could pull that kind of income elsewhere.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:08 AM

9,871 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Don't like your manager or the weather? Move to a more temperate climate and sell cars there. With your track record, you should be able to nab a sales job at any dealership.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM

432 posts, read 360,218 times
You had me at "I sell cars for a living": No.

But then I read "the 150-170K in your mid 20s that I make" and I rethunk.

If you can't bear it, quit. If you can, live like a poor person and put away as close to 100k per year as you can. Your options will increase quite a bit if you have half a mil saved by the time you're 30.

But you didn't ask for advice, did you? You wanted to know if I would tolerate "the micromanagement is extremely intense - threatening my job over the smallest things on a consistent basis." No, I wouldn't, myself. But then I've never been successful in a sales environment, so I'm not sure my druthers are applicable to your situation.

A question to ask yourself: Is there something in particular that you'd be really happy doing besides this? If so, it might be worth a large pay cut to chase that dream while you can.

Old 04-19-2015, 12:36 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,463,511 times
At your age and depending on the COL in your market in which you live and sell vehicles, you should easily be able to save 30-40% of that income which will give you a huge boost toward accruing enough for an easy life (depending on your lifestyle).
As another suggested if the manager is so bad your 'skill set' should be readily transferable with said achievement, so just go to another comparable style of vehicle dealer where you can continue your success in a lower COL area.

Me thinks this post may be bragging / validation related. Either way, if you are willing to be disciplined and self sacrifice for a few years and live modestly and maximize your savings / investments you should be able to chart your own course career wise with continued diligence. If you are undisciplined and profligate during these years you may be setting yourself up for a rude awakening by not creating an economic cushion. You could always then go on to learn another skill set to pursue whatever makes you happy career wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment