Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:06 PM

31 posts, read 26,087 times

Advertisements

Wow, I can only dream of making that much $$ and I have a bachelor's degree. My boyfriend has worked in much worse conditions for lower pay. He works for a road construction company an there were times he worked in pavers that reached 300 degrees, no breaks, and it was hot. He also worked cold long days. That is a physically time consuming and draining job with hours going from before sun up to sun down. You don't have it that bad work wise and you are getting paid a lot more than many on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:12 PM

31 posts, read 31,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourishingButterfly View Post
Wow, I can only dream of making that much $$ and I have a bachelor's degree. My boyfriend has worked in much worse conditions for lower pay. He works for a road construction company an there were times he worked in pavers that reached 300 degrees, no breaks, and it was hot. He also worked cold long days. That is a physically time consuming and draining job with hours going from before sun up to sun down. You don't have it that bad work wise and you are getting paid a lot more than many on this forum.

I know

I guess in some ways it's arrogance. I have a chance of making 175K in my 20s without any real student loan debt. I'm probably somewhere in the top 0.1% in the country for my age range but I always imagined myself as the guy working a cozy 9-5 job making even more than that, not having to deal with such strict management and working every Saturday

Old 04-20-2015, 09:46 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmab525235 View Post
I like how you omitted your income level
Doesn't matter . You are a top 0.1% super sales guy , you can anyway make 150-175 K where ever you go .

Old 04-20-2015, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Doesn't matter . You are a top 0.1% super sales guy , you can anyway make 150-175 K where ever you go .
Quote:
I love how you think buddy

my problem is that I don't know how good my real sales skills are. It's so easily selling here because I work at a beautiful facility and people just come in wanting to buy. Having to "hunt" (get my own customers and make people buy) is soooooo much damn harder than what I do

I could try an industry like that and make 40K a year for all I know...also I despise cold calling

I hate to say it but car sales might be the perfect job for my skills unfortunately

Old 04-21-2015, 12:40 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
Would you be able to open your own dealership in 5-10 years? Wouldn't that be a good goal to strive for?

Old 04-21-2015, 01:40 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,832,743 times
It's the rare manager that will nitpick such a successful salesperson much less fire him. There are over 17,000 new car dealers in the US, surely one of them would hire you. Go.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,380 times
Quote:
You say that a sales manager like that is needed, but I'm so incredibly driven and motivated constantly every single month, he adds nothing to my productivity. He only decreases productivity with how uncomfortable he makes me feel

Biggest thing that kills me is that I can have a month where I sell 30 cars, make more money than anybody else in the store and he still threatens my job over one single customer.
Here's where this should end. You're just making excuses now, and they're petty. You wrote this in response to an 83-year-old retired professional who did the same work you do -- and much more -- all his life. Show some respect.

Next, stay where you are and take this person's advice. Learn from experienced people who offer you free advice, and don't argue every point. Open your mind. Read books on this like the poster mentioned. Develop your own ways to reduce stress if the thousands of other techniques on the market don't work. Always end your sentences with periods.

From my perspective, you're lucky. The grass does not seem greener elsewhere, especially if you're not willing to move. If you want to change jobs, network with those 20-somethings in other fields you meet who work 9-5 and make the same amount. But I think you'll find that there are negative, screaming, scheming, micromanaging, seemingly psychotic people everywhere, in every job you'll ever have -- and there will ALWAYS be something you'll "hate."

Appreciate what you really like about the job and find a way to get over what you don't. Don't whine; it isn't becoming, and successful people don't do it. Change your perspective, and change your situation. Good luck!

Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM

147 posts, read 230,189 times
Grin....and bear it. Bank your money, live frugally and invest in your own future by saving in advance for a college degree and major in a subject which will result in high pay for little work and get on with your life a little later on. Yes, there are some horribly hot, grimy jobs that don't pay squat. Just deal with it and get out there and SELL some cars! imho....my 2 cents worth

Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbiloo View Post
Grin....and bear it. Bank your money, live frugally and invest in your own future by saving in advance for a college degree and major in a subject which will result in high pay for little work and get on with your life a little later on. Yes, there are some horribly hot, grimy jobs that don't pay squat. Just deal with it and get out there and SELL some cars! imho....my 2 cents worth

I already have a college degree...no idea what else I can do where I would be as effective as I am

Old 04-21-2015, 09:48 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
I already have a college degree...no idea what else I can do where I would be as effective as I am
Then you have answered your own question. Stay. Sell cars. Stop asking questions. There are no options. You are locked into a casket of approaching death where all you can do is sell cars for 55 hours a week until you get older, fatter, uglier, and eventually you die.

Or, study the sales manager, become the sales manager, do a better job than he did, and figure out a path to opening your own dealership. It's all on you. If this is as good as you are and you don't see the obvious options, then sell the cars and stop making mistakes that get you yelled at and seem to be causing you stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment