Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 12:41 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times

Advertisements

So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 12:58 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,477,650 times
It's hardly this black and white. There are indeed many variables and factors. I won't be able to cover them all, but if a if $9.75/hr to $13/hr with benefits can work for your situation... college student who has most bills paid and just needs spending $$ for phone, internet, food, textbooks, then that could work. If it's part of the income of a family, then great! Long story short... needs more detail.

However, there are folks who were a professional of any sort... medical field, law, accounting, healthcare, IT, blue collar, whatever, making $50K to $110K, a $12/hr job isn't going to support a family if you're the only one making $$ for a spouse and 1 to 3 kids. Case in point... whenever folks discuss upping the MW to $15/hr, they go up in arms about how their skills aren't worth that, and how they should've gone to college or advanced their career with much better work skills. Well, these unemployed professionals did just that. To take a temp job at $14/hr just makes them look like hypocrites.

Also, FWIW, many of these such professionals I know (friends, family, acquaintances, n degrees separated from them) DO end up finding work within 3 to 12 months. On the longer range of being out of work, they're either drawing from savings, cutting back, spouse's income, etc. For these folks to go right back to $12/hr is a huge disservice. Plus, they often spend the time unemployed taking vacations they couldn't while working, spending more time with kids, admin stuff, etc. so that when they start a new job, they're good to go!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:24 AM

279 posts, read 544,700 times
$20,000 a year to work in a turkey processing plant????? Hell no! I could not stomach the environment. And only $20,000?????

Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
What am I making on unemployment? I wouldn't take a job in a nasty ass meat plant unless I had to. Same for fast food. Now, if I lost an $8 an hour job and was offered an $8 an hour job, I would take it because I probably have to. If I lost a 60K job, I would stay on unemployment as long as possible.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 06-25-2015 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-25-2015, 10:44 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
My husband is unemployed. He's having a tough time finding a new job - after 2 months, he began applying for those low level jobs, hoping for something to bring in some income, help out, etc while he continues looking for another job. But he doesn't get callbacks from them. I figure it must be because the hiring managers know he'll quit as soon as he finds another, better job.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:08 AM

1,228 posts, read 2,389,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
Because most places like that will not hire you if you have a college education and work experience; in fact when I applied for a holiday job at Macy's , they looked at me like as if I were a nut.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
If you are applying for some kinds of jobs it is necessary to dumb down your resume. Heck I had people that graduated at the lab I did my grad work in hide the PhD off their resume to find work.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:39 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
The minute they see experience and a college degree, you're not on their hiring list, period.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:54 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
I couldn't live off of that, so that's not what I mean. I make 75k a year, so obviously, taking a 20k a year job would be really tough. I just think that if I were unemployed and needed money, I would take anything that I could.

Then again, I am self-employed in a very specific niche, so unemployment wouldn't be an option for me. I guess I didn't think about that. I love what I do and don't think my niche is going anywhere anytime soon, but I do think about things that could happen. In a bad enough situation, I think I would take any gig that I could. I would still look for something better, of course, but having something coming in is better than having nothing coming in.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM

850 posts, read 902,528 times
Who wants to settle for $8-10 jobs if they still have unemployment benefits. Here you can't get 350 a week in unemployment while you are looking for another job that pays decent. Only when your unemployment runs out and you can't find a decent job would you settle for jobs like that. Folks always suggest temp jobs and lots of people turn their nose up at temp jobs and don't blame them. Who will go work on a 2-3 month temp job and be unemployed again? Temp jobs do more harm than good. When your temp assignment runs out you have to go back to the temp agency to see if they have anything else or they will fight your unemployment benefits. The temp job will offer you the lowest paying gig they have that is 30 miles from your house and if you say no they will fight your unemployment so you end up jepordizing your unemployment when taking a temp job. No job is worth it unless it pays a minimum of $15 a hour with benefits and is not through a temp agency. It must be a regular full time job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment