Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:20 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times

Advertisements

A few years back, I had just graduated from engineering school and could not find a job right away. No one was hiring. In an act of desperation, I applied to be a technician at this company. Went in to take their tests and 2 interviews. Then the big boss came out to meet me. He said I was their best candidate. As a matter of fact, my scores were far better than anything he's seen for someone applying to this position. My interviewers told him I was too overqualified for the job. And that was why he was turning me down.

At this point, I felt extremely sad. I think he saw that look in me so he continued talking. He said trust him he's doing me a favor. I will eventually find a job that better fit m skills and that if he hired me I'd leave as soon as I found something else better.

And he was right. I never meant to stay there. He was also right that I'd find something better, because within a month of that interview I did find something way better.

Sometimes, it's not always the best thing to take a job that much below one's pay grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 07:49 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
It's actually not that they think they are too good, it's that these jobs will not hire them because they know the person is only looking for something temporarily until they find something worth their time.

I've watched people with incredible resumes get turned down for a customer service call center position, for this very reason. Made me a bit sad.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:33 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,748 times
I found it to be the opposite with low wage jobs. Most prefer to keep a revolving door staff and will hire you on because they know you won't stay long.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:40 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I found it to be the opposite with low wage jobs. Most prefer to keep a revolving door staff and will hire you on because they know you won't stay long.
You're talking about unskilled jobs. With these jobs, they can afford to keep a revolving door staff because the jobs do not need that much training.

A lot of lower paid jobs require moderate to a lot of training. It makes no sense to hire someone, spend 3 months training him, and then he resigns the 4th month.

Old 06-27-2015, 11:43 AM

788 posts, read 1,249,536 times
I see the same thing in Holland. All kinds of help wanted ads. But you know what? Lots of people applying for such jobs get rejected over and over again. Same thing happened to me. I do not believe that such companies cannot find staff, the work does not require a degree or a lot of skill. However, if you reject everyone that is "too old" or "too educated", yeah, you'll end up with permanent understaffing.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:06 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,954,770 times
Quote:
So, how do you feel about unemployed individuals not taking for-sure jobs that are available?

For example, there is a turkey processing plant here that is ALWAYS hiring, and they pay well above minimum wage. They start those on the processing line out at $9.75 an hour, plus benefits, and those who do "live hang" -- which is exactly what is sounds like -- start out at $13.00 an hour, plus benefits.

The local Bojangles, McDonald's, Ollies, Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc. are always posting help wanted ads...not to mention the many gas stations that are ALWAYS hiring.

Yet, I know people who are unemployed and who have been unemployed for a long time, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

I know that I wouldn't be applying for a job like that if I were unemployed for a month or three, but once our savings started dipping low, I would take any job that I could. I know people with no savings and who can't even pay their bills but who won't even think about applying for jobs like this.

Thoughts?
Some people are just lazy and don't try at life. They just like to ***** and be a drain on society.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:46 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,414,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
If you are applying for some kinds of jobs it is necessary to dumb down your resume. Heck I had people that graduated at the lab I did my grad work in hide the PhD off their resume to find work.

Its sad, but you do what you have to do to survive!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:36 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,037,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
For those that wouldn't take a low paying job, what do you do when the unemployment runs out, the savings run out? Apply for public benefits? Maybe you don't but some do.

And, "Yes." some people most certainly think they are too good to do a low paying job. Seen them on TV over the years wanting their unemployment to span 3+ years and am so glad they stopped that!

When the unemployment runs out the options are

1. State Career Center

2. Temp Agencies

3. Apply for Food Stamps

Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,102,386 times
Quote:
, yet they won't even THINK about applying for any of these jobs...they think they are "too good."

Thoughts?
If they have no savings and cannot pay their bills and have no unemployment, and won't even think about applying to jobs that are lower wage, then how do they survive?

How do they have money for food and shelter?

A guy I know who does what I do worked at Home Depot for almost a year when he couldn't find work, and I would do the same if I had to.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:10 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
OP, I see your point and have zero sympathy for those people. Even to the extent that many of the people who aren't taking those jobs were previously employed in high paying positions and so these jobs couldn't support the lifestyles they had become accustomed to (in my experience, most of them are people who are not in those situations), then they need to adjust accordingly and move to live more within their means. I mean, whether you were making $100k or $15k prior to becoming unemployed, you're making zero now; true, there's always welfare (but that requires that people work as a general matter). This is one thing that has me flabbergasted by what has become the work ethic of too many Americans and is what I love about the immigrant spirit. I will see immigrant families come together, taking low paying jobs, and pool their money so that they can make a better future for themselves and families (not to mention so that they can put a roof over their heads and food on their tables here and now). On the opposite side of the coin, we have entitled Americans (of course, I'm overgeneralizing) who feel that certain work is beneath them and who won't put in the work necessary to make a bad situation better. And, note, even if you are "overqualified" for those types of positions as the OP described, it doesn't have to be permanent! I know one thing: if I'm an employer who is interviewing a skilled person who is long-time unemployed, I will look far less favorably on them if all they did was send out a resume/otherwise sat on their bums collecting unemployment instead of putting in initiative to work a job (any job) in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment