Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 12:24 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times

Advertisements

There are circumstances where yes, you can quit and receive unemployment benefits.

The problem is you kind of need to quit first and then file.

I would talk to your local unemployment office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 01:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
They'd probably just fire you on the account of even asking.
Yes, this is what would happen here for sure. You really can't have your cake and eat it too. If you don't like your job find another first, and then quit, or save up enough first to live on for a few months. Unemployment benefits are not for people who don't like their boss or want to move.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:50 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
If they lay you off, they're still paying you! Unemployment isn't free.

Start SERIOUSLY looking for a job.

Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 PM

3,974 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Some threads make me roll my eyes. Yes, unemployment is this big, free pot of money you can collect from whenever you decide you are unhappy where you live.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can tell you, it's definitely negotiable if your manager is understandable. Employment is a 2 way street, big companies such as yours don't care as much about the hit on unemployment premiums. It's already budgeted.

The biggest obstacle is the amount of paper work that is involved in getting to that point. They need to see some type of reporting from your manager performance related to recommend letting you go for performance reasons. You can't mutually just part ways and still get benefits. That's consider quitting.

Ask your manager about performance expectations and then give them the idea that you're not capable of meeting that and then see if what they say you need to do. Lead them to believe that you're not able to comply then they will have to write you down for that and recommend you for performance terminations in the next quarterly review.
I am not in HR, but if you are let go for performance reasons, I believe that is akin to firing. Unemployment comes in when you are released in spite of you meeting all your job requirements. If you don't meet job requirements, then you are released 'for cause'. In almost any ''for cause' firing, though, there will be a period of probation between your initial sub-par review and your firing, during which you will have some goals to achieve to allow you to retain your job. If you believe that your job requirements are essentially impossible to achieve, than you can take your firing to the unemployment commission for arbitration.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Some threads make me roll my eyes. Yes, unemployment is this big, free pot of money you can collect from whenever you decide you are unhappy where you live.
... but can't afford to really quit, so you ask the employer to help you game the system. You get your nice little unemployment check, and they get zippo - except rid of you. smh

Old 10-29-2015, 02:04 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I can tell you, it's definitely negotiable if your manager is understandable. Employment is a 2 way street, big companies such as yours don't care as much about the hit on unemployment premiums. It's already budgeted.

The biggest obstacle is the amount of paper work that is involved in getting to that point. They need to see some type of reporting from your manager performance related to recommend letting you go for performance reasons. You can't mutually just part ways and still get benefits. That's consider quitting.

Ask your manager about performance expectations and then give them the idea that you're not capable of meeting that and then see if what they say you need to do. Lead them to believe that you're not able to comply then they will have to write you down for that and recommend you for performance terminations in the next quarterly review.
Of course, anyone who is capable of coming up with this scheme is the same person who will come back later with an attorney and sue their employer for wrongful termination. That way the gravy train never ends. I tell you, you can't make this stuff up. lol

Last edited by dmills; 10-29-2015 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 02:13 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Fortune 200 would be a pretty big company - do they have an office closer to where your family is, and you could apply for an internal transfer?

Old 10-29-2015, 04:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,989,893 times
Gimme an 'F'
Gimme an 'R'
Gimme an 'A'
Gimme a 'U'
Gimme a 'D'

What does it spell?

Old 10-29-2015, 05:40 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle999888 View Post
... I wont ask for any severance package from them.
I am sure they will be happy about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment