Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,286,668 times

Advertisements

They banned smoking on all our company campuses about a year or so ago. Before then, you would see the same people who always seemed to be coming and going from a smoke break. In addition to the time to get out to the smoking spot and to smoke a cigarette, there was also the social aspect of it, so smoke breaks often didn't seem brief. When they first banned smoking, a school in the neighborhood complained that people from our office were driving to the school neighborhood for their breaks and then dumping cigarette butts out in front of the school. A regional memo went out about it. And then during the Summer, someone snuck a cigarette on the campus wooded trails that caused a brush fire which destroyed acres of woodland.

Anyway, I wonder what some of the regular smokers are doing now. I can't imagine they are getting in their cars and leaving as often as they were formerly used to taking smoke breaks. I see some of those regulars around the building still, so I know that they're still employed at the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM

321 posts, read 420,466 times
Place I work for doesn't allow smoking within the sight of the building. If you get caught, you get fired.

I haven't had a cigarette since the 2nd month I started here. Just not worth it and a great reason to quit.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:10 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
I miss the old days when we could smoke at our desks and staff meetings were smoke filled rooms with a big pot of coffee and a box of donuts. Before the clean air fad got started, a bank did a study to find out how much smokers cost the company. They found out that smokers were more productive than non-smokers.

Nicotine is a wonderful drug. It calms you down while boosting mental focus.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:14 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,591,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think nonsmokers should be entitled to an extra three weeks of vacation every year.

It's no wonder that many companies are only hiring nonsmokers.

My insurance rates have gone down since our company began hiring only nonsmokers.

Our pre-employment process includes nicotine screening, through a blood test. Prospective employees must be nicotine free for one year before eligible for hire.
Well, if you chew nicotine gum or use a patch, that has no health repercussions, and yet, that person would not pass a blood test. So I'm not in favor of the blood test. Unless they also screen for people who eat doughnuts, are overweight, have diabetes, and such. Those people are less healthy than someone who chews nicotine gum and lives a healthy lifestyle.

But I agree about the smoking.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:15 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I miss the old days when we could smoke at our desks and staff meetings were smoke filled rooms with a big pot of coffee and a box of donuts. Before the clean air fad got started, a bank did a study to find out how much smokers cost the company. They found out that smokers were more productive than non-smokers.

You do realize that 90% of lung cancers are caused by smoking? And nearly 100% of emphysema and COPD?

True, nicotine is a wonderful drug. Wonderful for tobacco companies.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I agree, if smokers get these 5 or 10 minute breaks to smoke, what's wrong with giving non smokers something? Fair is fair....
You can go outside for a break, too.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post

Did the bank hire Philip Morris to do the study? I'd love to see this study.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
You do realize that 90% of lung cancers are caused by smoking? And nearly 100% of emphysema and COPD?

True, nicotine is a wonderful drug. Wonderful for tobacco companies.
A lot of things cause a lot of illnesses.

Eating beef causes cancer. Are you wanting your company to require employees to quit eating beef?

Drinking more than 2 glasses of wine a day causes health problems. Again, should your company fire people who drink hard liquor or three glasses of wine a day?

Eating a high fat diet is linked to colon and breast cancer. Fire fat people?

Don't get me wrong. Smoking is terrible for the health. I quit smoking ten years ago...or more. Can't recall exactly. But I ALSO quit eating beef, eat a low fat diet, try to eat the good fats instead of animal fat, walk every day.

It's a whole lifestyle that affects one's health the most. It seems to me that people pick on smokers the most because the pickers don't smoke, and don't bully others who do different bad things, because the bullies indulge in THOSE things.

Believe it or not, smoking does have a beneficial effect: smokers handle stress better (which helps health and mental health), and are more productive. That does not outweigh the dangers, or the time wasted by going outside to smoke. But let's not jump on the "you bad, me good" bandwagon, just because you don't have that vice. You have other vices.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:36 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default And what area of the world is this going on in????

Quote:
I think nonsmokers should be entitled to an extra three weeks of vacation every year.

It's no wonder that many companies are only hiring nonsmokers.

My insurance rates have gone down since our company began hiring only nonsmokers.

Our pre-employment process includes nicotine screening, through a blood test. Prospective employees must be nicotine free for one year before eligible for hire.
I've always been amazed the time that smokers use up on the job. Think this: Good Ol' Bob is the labour supervisor, and smokes non stop. Every time he stops, and pulls a new one out, ALL THE LABOURERS stop, and light up. Twenty people times X minutes, BS, then continue on.

If I stopped, pulled out a coffee cup, and did the same thing someone would walk me to the jobsite gate.
Huh???

Smokers cost companies a lot more than three weeks a year. Flu time, they're gone. Monday after paycheck? Gone. Smokers virtually ALWAYS have other "issues" AND bring those issues to work.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:40 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Believe it or not, smoking does have a beneficial effect: smokers handle stress better (which helps health and mental health), and are more productive. That does not outweigh the dangers, or the time wasted by going outside to smoke. But let's not jump on the "you bad, me good" bandwagon, just because you don't have that vice. You have other vices.
I know I have vices, but they don't affect others. Smoking affects anyone who happens to be in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment