Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 07:40 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I can rationalize my smoke breaks at work considering I have NEVER taken a poop break at work (gross, i could never do it) But, people do ALL the time. I'd rather inhale someone's second hand smoke than their poo mist. Point being people are always going to find breaks. Are you people who don't smoke CHAINED to your desk!? If so, that's sad And what about people on their phones!? How is that any different than a smoke break? It's not.
You know, I couldn't do #2, either, at the office. Unless I was sick once or twice over the decades, and I think then I found a secluded restroom in an unused part of the offices. It's just disgusting.

Many people spend gobs of time on personal calls, or chat in the break rooms or their offices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:42 PM

289 posts, read 776,267 times
The company I work for has a policy that you have to punch out of you leave the premises for any reason. If I want to leave for 15-20 minutes to grab something for lunch, I have to punch out. Yet, the folks who smoke are allowed to take (4) or (5) 5-10 minute smoke breaks throughout the day without punching out.

If smokers don't have to punch out, I should be able to leave the building for 20 minutes to get something to eat. Just my opinion.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:30 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think nonsmokers should be entitled to an extra three weeks of vacation every year.

It's no wonder that many companies are only hiring nonsmokers.

My insurance rates have gone down since our company began hiring only nonsmokers.

Our pre-employment process includes nicotine screening, through a blood test. Prospective employees must be nicotine free for one year before eligible for hire.

You don't get breaks at your place of employment? That must be the pits.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:55 PM

888 posts, read 805,753 times
I was sent to get some water and pull up a chair by my supervisor because I was looking bad I guess. Manager saw me on the chair I said supervisor sent me. The argument I walked back in on between those two was something else. I was 19. I did what a superior asked, aguy who's done the work and knew heat illnesses. Manager got his job because he stabbed himself in the eye at work and threatened a lawsuit so they promoted him to the top.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:36 PM

870 posts, read 1,569,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
The company I work for has a policy that you have to punch out of you leave the premises for any reason. If I want to leave for 15-20 minutes to grab something for lunch, I have to punch out. Yet, the folks who smoke are allowed to take (4) or (5) 5-10 minute smoke breaks throughout the day without punching out.

If smokers don't have to punch out, I should be able to leave the building for 20 minutes to get something to eat. Just my opinion.
Same deal where I work too. It's very annoying and unfair.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:27 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
At my company it seems that smokers get lots of breaks where they can bs and break up the day. Added bonus is our VP is a smoker so they can discuss their jobs with him and get promoted. Sometimes when I need a break, I'll go with the smokers on one of their breaks.

Old 11-13-2015, 05:58 AM

585 posts, read 492,748 times
Quote:
I think nonsmokers should be entitled to an extra three weeks of vacation every year.

It's no wonder that many companies are only hiring nonsmokers.

My insurance rates have gone down since our company began hiring only nonsmokers.

Our pre-employment process includes nicotine screening, through a blood test. Prospective employees must be nicotine free for one year before eligible for hire.
So any unhealthy act that a person does you feel should be penalized?

So any over weight person should be included too?

How about people who don't exercise?

How about people with spouses and families, those make your insurance go up too?

How about alcohol drinkers, red meat eaters, candy eaters, soda drinkers....

Last edited by sjinnj; 11-13-2015 at 06:35 AM..

Old 11-13-2015, 06:43 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,856,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post

So any over weight person should be included too?

How about people who don't exercise?

How about people with spouses and families, those make your insurance go up too?

How about alcohol drinkers, red meat eaters, candy eaters, soda drinkers....
Our health insurance company charges a higher premium for smokers. This is becoming common, and many employers are requiring smokers to pay the difference in premium.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 AM

585 posts, read 492,748 times
Quote:
Our health insurance company charges a higher premium for smokers. This is becoming common, and many employers are requiring smokers to pay the difference in premium.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
I would absolutely love if health insurance premiums were based on lifestyle choices. If you are 500lbs, smoke, eat 8 cheeseburgers a day, why should I have to pay more the same for my insurance as you when you need diabetes meds, trips to the ER, lap band etc...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment