Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,294,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I think nonsmokers should be entitled to an extra three weeks of vacation every year.

It's no wonder that many companies are only hiring nonsmokers.

My insurance rates have gone down since our company began hiring only nonsmokers.

Our pre-employment process includes nicotine screening, through a blood test. Prospective employees must be nicotine free for one year before eligible for hire.
How do they define the loss of productivity? In comparison to non-smokers? Or do they take a smoker and measure their productivity when taking breaks vs. not taking breaks?

I'm not a smoker, and I think it's a disgusting habit. However, this point about focusing on smoke breaks (vs. any other type of break) seems like a straw man argument.

There are productive people and unproductive people - period. Just because one smokes doesn't mean they are less productive than the rest. You can have a smoker that does the same work as non-smokers in 75% of the time. So taking a few smoke breaks a day could still make them more productive than their non-smoking peers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,004,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You can go outside for a break, too.
Sure, if I want to breathe in second-hand cigarette smoke. I hate the fact that I can't enjoy sitting outside on a nice day, because our entire campus is filled with a layer of cigarette smoke. Every pathway is lined with them, they stand in a crowd just outside every entrance (sometimes leaning on the "no smoking in this area" signs), and completely ruin the outdoor seating area at the cafe. I sometimes wonder how much damage my lungs are suffering when I have to change buildings 3 or 4 times a day and breathe the second-hand smoke (to the point of making me cough) the whole way every time.

I HATE smoking and can't wait for it to be illegal in public.

Old 11-12-2015, 11:02 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
How do they define the loss of productivity? In comparison to non-smokers? Or do they take a smoker and measure their productivity when taking breaks vs. not taking breaks?

I'm not a smoker, and I think it's a disgusting habit. However, this point about focusing on smoke breaks (vs. any other type of break) seems like a straw man argument.

There are productive people and unproductive people - period. Just because one smokes doesn't mean they are less productive than the rest. You can have a smoker that does the same work as non-smokers in 75% of the time. So taking a few smoke breaks a day could still make them more productive than their non-smoking peers.
Then they are all bad workers pretty much. The non-smokers for not being as productive as the smokers. And the smokers for being productive but not the max amount of productive since they take too many breaks.

Fire them all!

Old 11-12-2015, 11:08 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post

Pretty much.

I used to work in a restaurant.

I've smoked since I was a teen.

I did take smoke breaks every now and then, but I would always make sure that any necessary work was done first and would make sure that there were no customers in the restaurant, or at least that they were well cared for and wouldn't need my attention.

I was made the waitstaff manager for a reason -- I was very good at my job and worked much harder than any of my co-workers. My boss said I could do the work of three servers because I busted my butt. Not that waitressing is rocket science or anything, but I was always on the ball, was always cleaning something, stocking something, etc. etc. etc. along with taking care of my customers.

Even though I smoked, I was still much more productive because I actually did my job and didn't drag my butt. Plus, at least I smoked at times when all of my work was taken care of, rather than the servers who would *** on the phone or spend forever in the restroom doing god-knows-what when we had a restaurant full of customers.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:52 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
You do realize that 90% of lung cancers are caused by smoking? And nearly 100% of emphysema and COPD?
Actually you can develop COPD without smoking. Genetics, asthma and just generally working in certain jobs can increase that chance.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
I think nonsmokers should be entitled to an extra three weeks of vacation every year.

It's no wonder that many companies are only hiring nonsmokers.

My insurance rates have gone down since our company began hiring only nonsmokers.

Our pre-employment process includes nicotine screening, through a blood test. Prospective employees must be nicotine free for one year before eligible for hire.
I quit 2 years ago myself, now what screws me up is the women (And men) who DRENCH themselves in cologne and perfume. Man, almost reminds me of my CHF....Breathing gets very tight then. Walking past smokers does it also, but not as bad...go figure.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:08 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,037,201 times
It's tough when your bosses smoke and they don't adhere to at least the 25' law. They're always out there, talking about something.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:43 PM

2,093 posts, read 1,927,437 times
I think its more than that. I guarantee I see smokers out there an hour a day. Times what.... 200 days? That's 200 hours.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:13 PM

658 posts, read 724,769 times
smoking is an addiction not a habit. A good way to stop people from smoking is raising the price of cigarettes to a very high price.

Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
Yup. 14 bux a pack in NYC made me quit. I smoke cheapy e-cigs now and love it. Sorry, but nicotine is Earth's oldest anti-psychotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment