Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 08:20 AM

185 posts, read 184,974 times

Advertisements

OMG, I found a thread where I can tell you just how much I hate smokers! I'd rather skip the details about why. If you've experienced being around smokers, you understand. Its absolutely vile. Its worse when they cough all the time. Disgusting! Trust me, where you find smokers you also find cigarette butts on the ground. You have to unfortunately smell that ashy pollution stink. Grrr!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 08:43 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,025,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
BTW, you don't need to have been a smoker to get lung cancer. Quite a few of the cases are contracted by people who never smoked.
Both of my mom's parents died from COPD. Neither of them ever smoked.

I won't try to pretend that smoking doesn't obviously put you at (much more) of a risk, however.

I will say, though, that I live in North Carolina (our nation's highest tobacco producing state) and have known and know lots and lots of lifelong smokers. I certainly know a few with a nasty smoker's cough, but I honestly don't know anyone who has died from smoking. I know one woman who is in her 60s and has COPD, but she seems to be doing pretty well with it with minimal medication. Don't a lot of people in their 60s have some sort of health issue or another? If she dies from COPD in her 70s, well...didn't she make it to the average life expectancy? Wasn't she bound to die from something else?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:17 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,533,069 times
Every smoker I have ever known was very liberal with the time they took on smoke breaks. Early in my Air Force career, I had a supervisor that would hand me a cig and say just tell the supers and chiefs your going on a smoke break with sergeant Z. So I said "I'm going to have a puff with sgt. Z" All the supers in unison would be like "That's a good idea." The next 45 mins. I'd sit on a ashy table top outside, yakking it up with a lit cigarette hanging loosely in my mouth. 2 hours of work, 45 minutes of break all day, pretty nice. I had to stop though I started smelling like smoke and coughing. Instead I just pretended I was doing CBTs in the computer lab while sgt Z smoked with the supers.

When I became a sgt, it was one of my pet peeves, my troops said I was a smoke break Nazi. When I became an officer I made a wildly unpopular decision to limit smoke breaks and smoke pit locations as Part of AFSO 21s employee health initiatives. The smoke pits were back within 3 months, there was mutiny that could not be ignored. You thought I killed one of their loved ones.

Today in my current job, I hear "let's burn one" or "smoky treat time" about 4 times a day.. on top of the two 15 minute breaks and lunch.

We only have 4 or 5 smokers these days. What they don't have in job skill they make up for in time wasting. All of our new hires have been non smokers.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
I vape...I don't smoke cigarettes. I rarely get sick and do not have any chronic health conditions. Most people would kill to have my blood test results at their annual physical.

I take regular breaks to go outside and vape.

I get all my work done and then some. I never miss deadlines.

If and when my boss can prove to me that my vaping habit impedes my work performance, I'll take fewer breaks. Until then, leave me alone.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:41 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I vape...I don't smoke cigarettes. I rarely get sick and do not have any chronic health conditions. Most people would kill to have my blood test results at their annual physical.

I take regular breaks to go outside and vape.

I get all my work done and then some. I never miss deadlines.

If and when my boss can prove to me that my vaping habit impedes my work performance, I'll take fewer breaks. Until then, leave me alone.

That's one thing I also wish to point out. Some smokers WILL abuse the sick system. Heck I would go to work sick (Mouth covered) unless it was flu or worse. I even got threatened with termination due to a sciatic flare up and walked around using a cane.

They said I should use the medical insurance, but when I did, they'd always complain about me being gone and the work crews having no leadership...(Sigh)

Old 11-13-2015, 10:41 AM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I would absolutely love if health insurance premiums were based on lifestyle choices. If you are 500lbs, smoke, eat 8 cheeseburgers a day, why should I have to pay more the same for my insurance as you when you need diabetes meds, trips to the ER, lap band etc...?
And if someone doesn't have a car or doesn't have kids in school, why should they have to pay the same taxes to fund roads and public schools that you do?

You could just as easily ask why Fred has to pay the same insurance rate as you when it's you who have more potential for having a stroke in old age because of your genes.

Health insurance works like taxes. We all pay in so that we are all covered. If we're going to discuss lifestyle choices, we'd be fighting forever about the choices one person makes to live in a house with stairs, which puts him at risk for falling, versus another person having a longer commute, which puts him at more risk for having an car accident and so on and so on and so on.

And don't forget, health insurance is a lot preventative care, as well. If you are anti-vaccination, does that mean you're automatically going to get cut a break for not vaccinating your kids, unlike the parent who has their kids get all their vaccinations? If a person reaches a certain age and doesn't get a colonoscopy, should they get a cut on their insurance rates because they aren't getting one. See how dumb this all sounds?

Old 11-13-2015, 11:42 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times
Limit smoking to the 15 minute breaks (that's about 2 cigs worth each time).

Addiction is addiction. There is no basic difference whether to tobacco, alcohol, or cocaine, etc.
Not all addicts are on the street. There are most definitely drug and alcohol addicts working in your office as well as smokers .. quite easily your own boss, the company CEO, or your own co-worker friends.

It's a sad reality.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:44 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,934 times
We all waste time in some way or another at work. Unfortunately for smokers, it is more visible to others because they are literally leaving their desk and office. Non smokers can waste just as much time chit chatting, taking long lunches, coming in late, etc., etc. We have smokers at our job (only 3 or 4 out of 50 or so employees) and none of them socialize with each other outside and I don't think I've seen any of them take more than 2 or 3 minutes when they do go out. They must be power puffing or only smoking partial cigarettes.

I think it is easy to target smokers as time wasters because they are so visible. Being a non smoker does not make you any less a time waster - you can just hide it better.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
I think everyone should have a 10 minute walk-around every hour or two.
Smoking areas should be far enough away from the doors so smoke doesn't come in.
ALSO it's not a bad idea to hang out at the smoke shed periodically. Sometimes it's where some great brainstorming takes place!

Old 11-13-2015, 12:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I think everyone should have a 10 minute walk-around every hour or two.
Smoking areas should be far enough away from the doors so smoke doesn't come in.
ALSO it's not a bad idea to hang out at the smoke shed periodically. Sometimes it's where some great brainstorming takes place!
In the county that I work in, it is the law that you have to be 50 feet away from any entrance to the building when you smoke. I guess our smokers don't take long breaks because they have no covered or sheltered area to smoke at either. They are fully exposed to the elements. I guess that is a way to cut down on long breaks, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment