Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:50 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,046,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Jobs suck. That's why they have to pay you to go.

Solution: Live well below your means, invest as much as possible, and retire as early as possible.
I can understand the hating to work.
I put myself through college for a BS hard science degree (no student loans!) and enjoyed going to school but I really don't want to have a career. I'm not lazy, I graduated with honors, but I like my time for myself. Hiking, biking, running, on my own schedule.

You may need to adjust your lifestyle if you want to work less, or not at all.
No debt, live very frugal.
Visit the Frugal Living subforum here on City-Data.
Visit the Mr. Money Mustache and Earlyreriementextreme bolgs and forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 10:05 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,798,579 times
Relax. Toughen up.

People work. I think you need to be stronger. Then find another job, one with a boss that doesn't throw things maybe.

But I feel like I've known people like you. It's not the job, it's just work. You can't handle what we can and you don't want to do it. Well, people have to. Unless of course you find someone with money, which many do. So try that. But then you'll be beholden to him and will feel bad about yourself for your entire life.

One last thing - you say the only thing you want to do is be a SAHM...have you raised any children? I don't think you know what it's like to be a SAHM.

Some people just can't handle real life. You should make efforts to handle it, otherwise, you'll always be miserable.

Best of luck.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:05 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
I will now commence to both laugh and shake my head at the same time.

You really think that it will be easier to be a SAHM rather than go to a job? Think that you will answer to no one and that you'll be able to handle the tantrums? Both jobs are equally hard in different ways. If you hate this present job, find another one. What did you get your degree in and can you work in that field?
As someone said, most people aren't enamored with their jobs but use the money to work on what they really love. What do you really love and what interests you (besides the boyfriend who may or may not be around even if you are talking about marriage now)? Can you start a business, volunteer, etc.? SAHM comes with it's own set of challenges that you have no idea of, even though you took care of your younger siblings.
You are only 24, you have a long road ahead of you.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:07 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,789,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSnocturnal View Post
I am 24 graduated college and work as an admin assistant and you can call me lazy but I just HATE working, HATE having to answer to others and HATE having to deal with co-workers and HATE knowing my entire livelihood is in the hands of people that couldn't care less if they found out I died. I have had other jobs of various types but in the end as far as I am concerned everything in society is constantly saying the only reason for your existence is TO work and be someone's *****.
Play the lottery....

Old 12-08-2015, 10:15 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Only you can decide what's good for you, but as a start, I'd look for anything which falls outside the 9-to-5, Monday-Friday "trap". When the same people work the same hours, all of them tethered to a common schedule, the personality conflicts which arise naturally are going to intensify.

And only you can decide if working alone, and/or "in the field" is the right fit for your personality. You'll probably have to take more responsibility for your decisions and conduct. That shouldn't be a problem, if your supervisor provides positive, and consistent feedback.
Most jobs that are outside of 9 to 5 hours don't pay a living wage, and are not compatible with family life. There are exceptions, such as doctors and nurses, but I don't think the OP has a degree in either of those fields.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Start your own business -- you can't hate the boss when you are the boss.
Most businesses fail. And, owning a business is even more work than working for a corporation is. And, despite the cliché, when you own a business, you are not your own boss; your customers are your boss. It truly amazes me how often people on this forum throw out the "start your own business" advice.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Jobs suck. That's why they have to pay you to go.

Solution: Live well below your means, invest as much as possible, and retire as early as possible.
What do you use for health insurance if you retire before you are eligible for Medicare? Or, if Medicare no longer exists by then? Most people don't have perfect health, so buying insurance on the free market isn't really an option, especially not for somebody who has limited means but was able to retire by living frugally. Going without health insurance is a lousy idea.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I can understand the hating to work.
I put myself through college for a BS hard science degree (no student loans!) and enjoyed going to school but I really don't want to have a career. I'm not lazy, I graduated with honors, but I like my time for myself. Hiking, biking, running, on my own schedule.

You may need to adjust your lifestyle if you want to work less, or not at all.
No debt, live very frugal.
Visit the Frugal Living subforum here on City-Data.
Visit the Mr. Money Mustache and Earlyreriementextreme bolgs and forums.

That could work for a single person, but not for a family or someone who intends to marry and start a family.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
I will now commence to both laugh and shake my head at the same time.

You really think that it will be easier to be a SAHM rather than go to a job? Think that you will answer to no one and that you'll be able to handle the tantrums? Both jobs are equally hard in different ways. If you hate this present job, find another one. What did you get your degree in and can you work in that field?
As someone said, most people aren't enamored with their jobs but use the money to work on what they really love. What do you really love and what interests you (besides the boyfriend who may or may not be around even if you are talking about marriage now)? Can you start a business, volunteer, etc.? SAHM comes with it's own set of challenges that you have no idea of, even though you took care of your younger siblings.
You are only 24, you have a long road ahead of you.
Nobody said that being a stay at home mom is easy. But the OP thinks (whether rightfully or wrongfully) it's a better fit for her personality than a corporate job.

Old 12-08-2015, 10:28 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,107 times
I hear you on this line of thinking.
It's good to find a job with the right amount of hours and environment to get you what you need.
Go to work, get the job done, and get out of there to go and do some cool things afterward.

One bothersome thing about the profession I'm in is the high amounts of drivers that seem to base their lives off of how many miles and hours they'll be pushing through in any given week.

Some of these guys just like to run consistently and berate those that want some sort of life outside of work.
Then again, there's alot of old guys in this profession too that still live like it's the 70s or 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment