Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 12:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times

Advertisements

being a stem person, it has treated me well and i dont see it changing for the worse. i got both a biology and chemistry degrees too. sure i dont use the chem one for job, but the bio degree is the field im in. well, healthcare is field, but the biology relates more than chemistry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 PM

15 posts, read 13,927 times
Yes, I see a lot of jobs in healthcare. I'd have to get a certification to work in a clinical lab processing samples. I may have to consider this option if I can't get my foot in the door for a project coordinator/operations type entry level position.

I have met a few people who said that pharmacy technician isn't worth going into due to low salary and no room for advancement. One became a truck driver to improve his salary after 7 yr of pharmacy tech.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:28 PM

xray tech, radiology tech, histology tech, cytology tech, a lot of different "techs" in healthcare... certifications help keep field small which is nice... even genetic counseling is good. just to toss out things other than nursing

like someone said above, a general bio degree is a wide field, narrow it down to something concrete... agriculture on plant side, healthcare/medicine on human side... vets for animals. then find something even more niche for job.

chem degree is same way, it needs to be focused more to get into something working as a career

when business grads end up specializing in one thing, or programmers, why would science grads not specialize and expect to do as well? truck drivers specialize too, they dont drive taxis or anything else...

Old 01-20-2016, 12:36 PM

29,520 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Better to have that STEM degree as a backup compared to a useless liberal arts like the one I have. As mentioned above a degree is only one part of the equation. You have to apply yourself, network, be motivated, etc.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:40 PM

I'm trained as a medicinal/synthetic organic chemist. There are more opportunities for analytical, but a lot are of the temp employee variety. I was able to find a job quickly when I was laid off the last time (2007), but the market has changed a lot since then (plus I'm older). I had a good run, but it makes sense for me to move on now.

I have a BS in biology and chemistry as well, but haven't used my biology background at all since graduation (1997).

Old 01-20-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Better to have that STEM degree as a backup compared to a useless liberal arts like the one I have. As mentioned above a degree is only one part of the equation. You have to apply yourself, network, be motivated, etc.

Absolutely. I didn't network very well or early enough given my introverted nature, and that is a mistake which I'm probably paying for. Meetup.com is a good source to find local groups covering almost any interest, including networking. I was also encouraged to do Toastmasters.

odd, the research lab here seem like a place you would fit in, the VA has a large research section working on treatments and drugs

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It's both, STEM enrollments at colleges are much lower than other non-STEM programs and starting pay for STEM career is abysmal compared to even some low skill white collar jobs like a mortgage loan processor that requires no college degree and just 2 weeks of training and can make upwards of 100k in 5-6 years.
Voting with their Wallets

Quote:
OK, it’s official. A new study funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation has now confirmed what professors have been saying privately for years: the brightest American students aren’t going into science and engineering careers nearly as often as they used to.

But the reason is not, as some people say, that young Americans lack the smarts or the skills to succeed in those fields. Instead, it appears that longstanding U.S. policies have destroyed the incentives that used to attract many of the nation’s best young minds into science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (the so-called STEM fields). And that means that as the United States faces increasing technological and scientific competition from abroad, the country isn’t getting the full benefit of the brainpower it is paying to educate.

“It’s a labor market story,” not an education story, says one of the report’s authors, Harold Salzman, of the Heldrich Center for Workforce Development at Rutgers University. Rather than staying with STEM for graduate studies or a first job, many of our most able college graduates are now opting out of the pipeline that the nation used to count on to carry gifted students into STEM careers.

But the new study reveals an ominous trend among the scientifically gifted. Although the numbers of young Americans studying STEM in high school and college are as strong as ever, the very best of those students, as indicated by their SAT scores and college grade point averages, are less likely than in decades past to stay in STEM when they leave college.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:46 PM

This blog is a good source for information about what is going on in the chemical industry:

Chemjobber

Old 01-20-2016, 12:47 PM

239 posts, read 281,229 times
Just drop the 'S' and make it TEM. I know many in the tech and engineering fields who do really well. Maths? They eventually went to wall street. Physics and statistics as well. As for the non quantitative sciences (biology, chemistry, all fields of biochemistry)... sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment