Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 04:59 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,557 times

Advertisements

I worked a lot in college because I was told that you need work experience to get hired before graduation. I worked all 4 years I attended college. I co oped my last semester (which was a pain). I interned 2 summers. I had a ton of experience. I would have preferred to have not worked, but I listened to articles telling me how I have to get years of experience in before I graduated.

I was talking to my friend who is taking 5 years to get a plain cs degree (I got the same cs degree and a econ degree in 4 years) who has never worked. He was pretty confident he'll find a good job by the time he graduates next May. He's never worked!!! Is this just wishful thinking on his part?

Or did I just waste years of my life listening to "experts" tell me how a modern student needs experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 05:18 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post

Or did I just waste years of my life listening to "experts" tell me how a modern student needs experience?
Interning, working and participating in a co-op is not wasting years of your life!
Odd you think of it that way....

Old 08-29-2016, 05:29 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
yes, you did... you should have spent your efforts planning things out for yourself first.
If what you decided correlated with your "experts" then great, if not, it's your life... do what you want with it. Don't just "listen" to people, think for yourself based on the input other people can provide

So what if your friend gets a job and is successful? What he does has no correlation to your own success

Old 08-29-2016, 05:30 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,702,267 times
If I saw your resume and your friend's side by side - I would hire you. You have shown initiative and having worked "in the real world" I would think you have a basic understanding of how to conduct yourself in a business environment.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:35 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
yes, you did... you should have spent your efforts planning things out for yourself first.
If what you decided correlated with your "experts" then great, if not, it's your life... do what you want with it. Don't just "listen" to people, think for yourself based on the input other people can provide

So what if your friend gets a job and is successful? What he does has no correlation to your own success
he spent his summers in college playing video games. I had to get up by 7 am to go to work because "internships are important". I'm more or less convinced being as lazy as possible is the way to succeed in life.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:42 PM

22,613 posts, read 47,726,078 times
He plays videogames and does not have a job. Why are you comparing yourself to him?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:15 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,552,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
he spent his summers in college playing video games. I had to get up by 7 am to go to work because "internships are important". I'm more or less convinced being as lazy as possible is the way to succeed in life.
no internships help develop skills and networking. if he got them some other way, then he has them as well

internships aren't important in themselves, it's what you get out of them that is

Old 08-29-2016, 08:21 PM

684 posts, read 714,546 times
Ultimately there is allot about society that makes no sense. For example people go to college and get a degree, pay crazy money for it and find out they are useless in the work environment because they have no skills. By the time they get the skills they need to make a living they forget what they learned in college, leaving their degree one line on their resume and debt....

Old 08-29-2016, 08:36 PM

191 posts, read 230,802 times
No.

Connections/people skills/social circle is more important than ever. Comp sci degrees in particular seem to be going the way of Engineering.

Look elsewhere.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 PM

684 posts, read 714,546 times
well, 10 years after graduation they want you to have a 4 degree. What it's in, plays less role unless you need licenses which have credit requirements. A BS in STEM is a BS in STEM, more valuable then a history or English lit. degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment