Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times

Advertisements

Yes, it's very common and normal. When I was first promoted to supervisor here I had to replace myself. Despite doing my best to expedite HR in the recruitment, I had to do both jobs for a couple of months before finding a suitable replacement, then another couple of months working to get her up to speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 07:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Original post is a bit confusing. Promoted 3 weeks ago and doing both jobs for same money? Does this mean same money as her first job or 2nd job? If she got a raise then it's no big deal really. Getting paid more to do more temporarily. If it's the first, it's problematic but it happens all the time.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:49 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Original post is a bit confusing. Promoted 3 weeks ago and doing both jobs for same money? Does this mean same money as her first job or 2nd job? If she got a raise then it's no big deal really. Getting paid more to do more temporarily. If it's the first, it's problematic but it happens all the time.
The new salary

Old 12-01-2016, 08:07 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,940,392 times
At the better places I've worked, I trained (and sometimes hired) my replacement during a brief transition period.

At the not-great places I've worked, I would get the "promotion", but not the salary increase.

I'll take the first over the second any day.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Shows you how much of a joke these employee exploitation American companies are today. You want to work for corporate America? Get ready to be an abused, mindless, well programmed slave

They will realize she can do both jobs (probably going nuts in the process doing so) and won't find her a replacement for a long time if at all. Scumbag companies will gladly sacrifice he health of a good employee if it means saving a penny. And when they finally do find a replacement, it will probably be some clueless, inept, well connected idiot not even qualified for the job and it will go to crap and they will make her end up picking up the slack for the idiot

All the more reason to stay away from companies today
i'd love to know what YOU do for a living...

Old 12-01-2016, 09:11 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
Still normal. Even in a lateral position you may be required to train your replacement. The best trainer is the person who successfully does a job daily and has specific experience to the position.

You have a horrible attitude towards work. There is no abuse and we are not slaves. There are necessary steps in business (while uncomfortable and annoying) that must be taken to keep it successful. The bigger picture is what too many people are so short-sighted that they can no longer see.

You are making wild assumptions about a company that none of us know anything about. This type of attitude is infectious and is the demise of departments in companies. Someone gets it set in their head that the company is just keeping them there to torture them and they infect others with the same mentality. Pretty soon you have a company full of people who are nasty, lazy, and full of gossip and are complaining that they can't get promoted. Then they spread rumors that Susie or John is getting promoted on who they know and not what they know. Never once stopping to think that maybe management didn't want one of these vile people filling that position so they looked for the person who was the most willing and most positive to try and restore some sense of civility in the company. You shoot your own self in the foot and then blame it on someone else.

Those people then come on C-D and tell us how bad companies really are with hopes of spreading their infectious and deceitful gossip to others just for self-gratification. This can accomplish nothing but a society full of hopeless people who have no desire or drive to be successful in anything other than wallowing in their own self pity. Have you ever taken a second to look at that?

Right.... So its the employees infecting the other employees to having low morale and worker disengagement. Not terrible employers, worker exploitation, LOUSY hires (Be it through nepotism or cronyism who are immune to any bad consequences for lousy performance, and everyone has to pick the slack up for) , no loyalty for their own (Would rather hire the inept relative or friend instead of the dependable, already knowledgable of the process employees at the company), and greed at the top (record high company profits, record LOW raises and employee compensation.. Yea the upper execs need that third yacht or Lamborghini) ..

Gotcha..

What amazes me more are corporate apologists who actually defend this type of thing that is the TRUE cause of low morale. Not other freaking co-workers. ROFLMAO

Sorry I don't share you're "just take it and love it" attitude.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:29 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
i'd love to know what YOU do for a living...
Sounds like a chemist/scientist from what he wrote.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Right.... So its the employees infecting the other employees to having low morale and worker disengagement. Not terrible employers, worker exploitation, LOUSY hires (Be it through nepotism or cronyism who are immune to any bad consequences for lousy performance, and everyone has to pick the slack up for) , no loyalty for their own (Would rather hire the inept relative or friend instead of the dependable, already knowledgable of the process employees at the company), and greed at the top (record high company profits, record LOW raises and employee compensation.. Yea the upper execs need that third yacht or Lamborghini) ..

Gotcha..

What amazes me more are corporate apologists who actually defend this type of thing that is the TRUE cause of low morale. Not other freaking co-workers. ROFLMAO

Sorry I don't share you're "just take it and love it" attitude.

Whaaaaaaat?
Your posts are very angry and it seems you expect others to make you happy.
It's noone's business if the upper execs have 16 yachts and Lamborghinis.

If you don't like the game...start your own business.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,790,958 times
Quote:
Still normal. Even in a lateral position you may be required to train your replacement. The best trainer is the person who successfully does a job daily and has specific experience to the position.

You have a horrible attitude towards work. There is no abuse and we are not slaves. There are necessary steps in business (while uncomfortable and annoying) that must be taken to keep it successful. The bigger picture is what too many people are so short-sighted that they can no longer see.

You are making wild assumptions about a company that none of us know anything about. This type of attitude is infectious and is the demise of departments in companies. Someone gets it set in their head that the company is just keeping them there to torture them and they infect others with the same mentality. Pretty soon you have a company full of people who are nasty, lazy, and full of gossip and are complaining that they can't get promoted. Then they spread rumors that Susie or John is getting promoted on who they know and not what they know. Never once stopping to think that maybe management didn't want one of these vile people filling that position so they looked for the person who was the most willing and most positive to try and restore some sense of civility in the company. You shoot your own self in the foot and then blame it on someone else.

Those people then come on C-D and tell us how bad companies really are with hopes of spreading their infectious and deceitful gossip to others just for self-gratification. This can accomplish nothing but a society full of hopeless people who have no desire or drive to be successful in anything other than wallowing in their own self pity. Have you ever taken a second to look at that?

So your career in corporate America has gone well so far. Just get back to us once you have experience with a terrible boss, or corruption, or things not going your way. It's just a matter of time, happens to most. You sound naive.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:

You are making wild assumptions about a company that none of us know anything about.

Well said
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment