Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:58 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Right.... So its the employees infecting the other employees to having low morale and worker disengagement.

Absolutely. 100%. We choose how we perceive a situation. Some may perceive a company as promoting folks based on their merit as a good thing and give them hope that they too can realize the same benefit if they work for it. Then there are those who are mediocre workers to begin with, who see folks getting promoted and without knowing why start throwing around assumptions about why they got the role. They don't take the time to see what that person did to earn it, they merely see that they didn't get the same thing and equate that to unequal treatment. Similar to a 5 year old when they see that someone got a cookie and they didn't.

Quote:
Not terrible employers, worker exploitation, LOUSY hires (Be it through nepotism or cronyism who are immune to any bad consequences for lousy performance, and everyone has to pick the slack up for) , no loyalty for their own (Would rather hire the inept relative or friend instead of the dependable, already knowledgable of the process employees at the company), and greed at the top (record high company profits, record LOW raises and employee compensation.. Yea the upper execs need that third yacht or Lamborghini) ..

Gotcha..

Not all employers are terrible, and not all are amazing. Typically the answer lies somewhere in between. Every company has things they can improve upon. But if the entire work staff is not on board with trying to make the company better, it will never go anywhere. One person who consistently complains about the company can infect others. It only takes so long. So instead of trying to fix a problem, more are created. This is a simple truth that can be recognized by anyone who isn't blinding themselves to their own undoings.

Companies are in business to make a profit. No profit = no company and no jobs. If YOU want that third yacht or Lambo, then start a business, make it successful, and earn it. I'm not upset that our President makes millions per year. His role allows him to do that. His role also requires that he be on call 24/7, deal with some extremely stressful negotiations, and deal with problems that I hope I never see in my lifetime. So while he has a lot of perks, he has a lot of negativity that he has to deal with.

Quote:
What amazes me more are corporate apologists who actually defend this type of thing that is the TRUE cause of low morale. Not other freaking co-workers. ROFLMAO

Sorry I don't share you're "just take it and love it" attitude.

I'm no corporate apologist. I am however, a person who grew up in multiple small businesses that my father started from scratch with nothing. I watched his day to day work life and learned from it. I learned what it takes to be successful and what to avoid. When I moved and joined a company I already had the work ethic required to be promoted because I already knew exactly what it would take to succeed. I moved into management and was privy to the inner working of the company and the struggles that it faces every day. I also got to see first hand how good employees work and how bad employees drag a company down. I formed my opinion through experience that has been gained from multiple perspectives since I have performed many of those roles.

I don't subscribe to a mindset that the world is against me. I subscribe to a mindset of how much I want to achieve and that there will always be obstacles to overcome. I choose to find ways to overcome them instead of sitting back wallowing in my failures. I see those as learning experiences that will help me become successful the next time when I try again.

There's no "take it and love it" attitude. There is a realist attitude of understanding that no person is perfect, companies all have problems, and we all should strive to be better today than we were yesterday. When I don't like how things operate, I work to change the things I can control, and adapt to the things I cannot. If I come to a point that the culture doesn't fit my needs, I move on to another that will if I cannot adapt. You'd be much happier and better off if you did the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
I wonder will they be in a big rush to fill her old position since she is doing both jobs.

Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Seen it often. The bad part is they also often end up doing neither job well which is a major fault in modern management.

Agreed. Companies take their time filling the old position while having the employee fill in. Not fair to the employee, but that's how it goes!

Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Agreed. Companies take their time filling the old position while having the employee fill in. Not fair to the employee, but that's how it goes!
This is also not a universal truth. I've been on both sides of this situation both as the manager and the employee.

As a manager you have to:

1. Write a requisition for the empty position.
2. Submit the requisition to HR for approval.
3. Wait for HR to post the requisition.
4. Wait for applicants to apply.
5. Wade through mounds of resume's to find a select few who appear to meet the requirements.
6. Schedule the interviews.
7. Interview each candidate.
8. Evaluate each candidate and narrow down the few who you are considering to the best fit. Then narrow down again, or re-interview the selected candidates.
9. Write an offer letter for the candidate.
10. Submit the offer letter to HR for approval.
11. Submit the offer to the candidate. (If they already found another job, you start over from step 8 or start over from step 5)
12.Set up a drug screening (if they fail, go back to step 8 or step 5)
13. Set up a background check (if applicable) (if they fail, go back to step 8 or step 5)
14. Allow the candidate to work out their two week notice at their previous employer

Keep in mind, while this is going on a manager must still perform their daily functions. This is an addition to those, so if something more urgent comes up this may have to get pushed aside until the fire is put out. Assuming all the stars align, this process can take weeks or months to complete. If there is a problem (see step 11, 12, and 13) the process can take quite a few months.

Old 12-01-2016, 01:19 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
It doesn't have to go that way (at least for a long time) but since everyone bows down and bends over for a company, it does go that way.

If the employee is sitting around for more than month assuming responsibilities of both positions they need to say something or go above someone's head.

You give an employer an inch today they will take a mile

Old 12-01-2016, 01:24 PM

1,281 posts, read 776,550 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to go that way (at least for a long time) but since everyone bows down and bends over for a company, it does go that way.

If the employee is sitting around for more than month assuming responsibilities of both positions they need to say something or go above someone's head.

You give an employer an inch today they will take a mile
And I feel as long as she is not saying anything they won't rush to fill her position

Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
Quote:
Shows you how much of a joke these employee exploitation American companies are today. You want to work for corporate America? Get ready to be an abused, mindless, well programmed slave

They will realize she can do both jobs (probably going nuts in the process doing so) and won't find her a replacement for a long time if at all. Scumbag companies will gladly sacrifice he health of a good employee if it means saving a penny. And when they finally do find a replacement, it will probably be some clueless, inept, well connected idiot not even qualified for the job and it will go to crap and they will make her end up picking up the slack for the idiot

All the more reason to stay away from companies today
Oh, DorianRo.

Your posts are so predictable as to become pointless. I don't believe you have EVER said anything nice about the corporate world on this entire forum.

Someone could say, "My company that let's me work from home and never requires overtime just gave me a $25K bonus and a 5th week of vacation!" and I'll bet you'd say, "Yeah, but you are probably a suck-up and you are still paying for healthcare. Suckers, all of you!"

Old 12-01-2016, 01:33 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,987,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Oh, DorianRo.

Your posts are so predictable as to become pointless. I don't believe you have EVER said anything nice about the corporate world on this entire forum.

Someone could say, "My company that let's me work from home and never requires overtime just gave me a $25K bonus and a 5th week of vacation!" and I'll bet you'd say, "Yeah, but you are probably a suck-up and you are still paying for healthcare. Suckers, all of you!"
No I would say you are extremely fortunate to find a good employer that cares for the employees. Which is like finding a particular needle in a stack of needles in a field full of needles today.

I probably never have said anything about the corporate world today because there really is NOTHING good to say about the corporate world today. There isn't one dang redeeming quality in the private sector that I have experienced or can think of and I have worked for three F500 companies.

If I was to give advice to someone it would be to avoid the private sector all together unless:

1. You really landed a good gig with perks (but those are highly coveted positions)
2. You're a good brown-nosed with great networking contacts. (Since these people get the pick of the litter jobs and a job for life)

Other than that, there is no reason to join

Old 12-01-2016, 01:49 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
It depends on the length of time your stuck doing it. I have seen it happen several times where the person get stuck doing it for a year or more. Or as has happened to me before you get promoted and they never replace you so your stuck doing both for the whole time your there.

Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
This is also not a universal truth. I've been on both sides of this situation both as the manager and the employee.

As a manager you have to:

1. Write a requisition for the empty position.
2. Submit the requisition to HR for approval.
3. Wait for HR to post the requisition.
4. Wait for applicants to apply.
5. Wade through mounds of resume's to find a select few who appear to meet the requirements.
6. Schedule the interviews.
7. Interview each candidate.
8. Evaluate each candidate and narrow down the few who you are considering to the best fit. Then narrow down again, or re-interview the selected candidates.
9. Write an offer letter for the candidate.
10. Submit the offer letter to HR for approval.
11. Submit the offer to the candidate. (If they already found another job, you start over from step 8 or start over from step 5)
12.Set up a drug screening (if they fail, go back to step 8 or step 5)
13. Set up a background check (if applicable) (if they fail, go back to step 8 or step 5)
14. Allow the candidate to work out their two week notice at their previous employer

Keep in mind, while this is going on a manager must still perform their daily functions. This is an addition to those, so if something more urgent comes up this may have to get pushed aside until the fire is put out. Assuming all the stars align, this process can take weeks or months to complete. If there is a problem (see step 11, 12, and 13) the process can take quite a few months.
Or if we hire the replacement internally, there may be an extended 3-6 months transition to allow them to complete the projects upon which they were working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment