Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 11:08 AM

129 posts, read 124,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
this.

sorry man, you probably didnt mean anything by it but you were obviously becoming annoying and too forward in your 'relationship building' (im basing that on you own comments about being 'flirty')

Ive been in management for over a decade and understand how easy it is to be accused of discrimination or harassment which is why I rarely, if ever, have closed door meeting and always have witnesses if I am delivering performance improvement plans or any other "negative" news.
Perhaps someone found me annoying. Thing is, no one bothered to tell me so I could correct it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 11:09 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propexpert View Post
Doesn't take long for trolls to rear their heads does it?

As I said, that is what always happens in these threads.

Quote:
What slime and promiscuity? I never asked anyone out. I made no advances. Nothing bad came out my personality for 34 years until last month.

And you're missing the point completely. If I did something wrong, I deserve to know what the heck I did so it won't happen again.
Exactly!! We need to be told what we did wrong, and we need to be allowed to face our accuser. Did you find the several threads where I mentioned an incident in grad school, where I was not told what I did wrong? To this day, I still do not know what I did wrong. I mentioned it in several threads; did you find them yet?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:10 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
As I said, that is what always happens in these threads.

Exactly!! We need to be told what we did wrong, and we need to be allowed to face our accuser. Did you find the several threads where I mentioned an incident in grad school, where I was not told what I did wrong? To this day, I still do not know what I did wrong. I mentioned it in several threads; did you find them yet?
Did you miss the part where he's married and has three kids, but flirts with the women he works with?

Old 12-05-2016, 11:12 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,053,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SQL View Post
Did you miss the part where he's married and has three kids, but flirts with the women he works with?
He said in a later post that he was not flirting with anybody. Perhaps he made a bad choice of word when he said "flirty".

In any case, the point that you and others are missing is that even if he was 100% wrong, he deserves to know what he was accused of, even if for no other reason than to correct his behavior in the future.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:15 AM
SQL

1,337 posts, read 1,194,376 times
Quote:
In any case, the point that you and others are missing is that even if he was 100% wrong, he deserves to know what he was accused of, even if for no other reason than to correct his behavior in the future.
Yes, I agree that he deserves to know what he was accused of. But it doesn't sound like it's going to happen, and I don't know that he has any recourse in this case. He should talk to a labor attorney rather than an anonymous web forum. Like honestly...first rule of thumb when you're being accused of something with potential legal repercussions...stay off of social media and avoid posting content that can be used against you. Yes, that includes "anonymous" web forums.

Still think that if OP is as "flirty" as he indicated in his OP, that says enough about his personal character.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Not trolling, just pointed out exactly what you said and explained that I find it difficult to empathize with the situation given that information.

For starters, don't flirt with the women you work with. Not only because it can lead to misinterpreted sexual advances, but also because YOU HAVE THREE KIDS AND A WIFE.
That's wonderful. I don't need anyone's empathy. I'm very well aware of my marital status, I don't need CD denizens reminding me. I posted this as a cautionary tale.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:17 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,437,038 times
You need to be cautious with this sort of thing. I personally would not discuss anything relating to sex or relationships, or physical appearances with female coworkers regardless of how receptive or easygoing they appear to be. Even if they know it is not harassment they can still complain for whatever reason if they don't like you, they get a kick out of hurting others or possibly they were genuinely uncomfortable by their interactions with you. There was a memorable one on Drew Carrey where he posted a cartoon of a caterpillar trying to hump a french fry that lead to a sexual harassment suit.

All you can do is be more careful in the future.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree that he deserves to know what he was accused of. But it doesn't sound like it's going to happen, and I don't know that he has any recourse in this case. He should talk to a labor attorney rather than an anonymous web forum. Like honestly...first rule of thumb when you're being accused of something with potential legal repercussions...stay off of social media and avoid posting content that can be used against you. Yes, that includes "anonymous" web forums.

Still think that if OP is as "flirty" as he indicated in his OP, that says enough about his personal character.
Um, I'm right here. No need to refer to me in the third person.

I spoke to a labor attorney. I said in the original post I had no legal leg to stand on because of the at will nature of employment. My personal character is not perfect, but I'm not out here sleeping around and I take care of business. If being nice, and smiling and trying to be pleasant is flirty, then so be it.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
I'll do a search later. For now, try doing a search on my username as the poster and "harassment" as a keyword, and you'll find a few threads. Hope that helps.
Thanks very much.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
I began working during an era when sexual harassment was simply not discussed in any shape, fashion or form. I was 19 when I was a victim, too scared to report the lowlife who could not keep his hands off me. One day the problem took care of itself when the guy was caught red-handed by his supervisor as I attempted to fight him off in the hallway of the hospital where we were working--and it was not pretty. He was physically removed from the premises, along with some colorful words. I never saw him again.
And believe me, I feel for you. That kind of stuff is what I view as harassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment