Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 06:33 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfan1 View Post
Anyone have anything constructive to say?
Read Aaron Clarey's book Worthless. A lot of degrees just are not worth it, do not do much to help you get a good job, and burden you with debt to boot. Degrees are investments and you need to analyze it and figure out if there is a return on that investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 12:33 AM

82 posts, read 63,620 times
Don't you mean non-stem degrees are not worth it? "A lot of.." is everything non stem

Old 12-25-2016, 12:38 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,078 times
A bachelors degree has long since been what a high school diploma used to be. The minimum of education needed to get any job that pays more than minimum wage.

Old 12-25-2016, 02:50 AM

82 posts, read 63,620 times
Have to differ on that greatly. Bachelors degree can do many great things, just depends what you study as a bachelors in stem is an infinite world of possibilities, whereas a bachelors in English, philosophy or history is utterly useless. Great analytically but nothing marketability. Go to ultrasound/trade school if you don't use that English degree as a stepping stone to a liberal arts grad program

Last edited by Sportfan1; 12-25-2016 at 03:06 AM..

Old 12-25-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Have to differ on that greatly. Bachelors degree can do many great things, just depends what you study as a bachelors in stem is an infinite world of possibilities, whereas a bachelors in English, philosophy or history is utterly useless. Great analytically but nothing marketability. Go to ultrasound/trade school if you don't use that English degree as a stepping stone to a liberal arts grad program
But even a degree in English will still allow you apply for jobs that require a generic bachelors degree, which is just about any job that pays more than minimum wage. This is why everyone is getting college degrees today.

Old 12-25-2016, 04:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 737,501 times
Quote:
I hate to say this, but any degree in a liberal art is useless these days.I have a BA in History, trust me, you and I are in the same boat. I know several people with political science degrees. One works at a university, another teaches. The rest are either unemployed or in retail.

Old 12-25-2016, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron210 View Post
I hate to say this, but any degree in a liberal art is useless these days.I have a BA in History, trust me, you and I are in the same boat. I know several people with political science degrees. One works at a university, another teaches. The rest are either unemployed or in retail.

Nowadays even retail requires a generic bachelors to become a manager. I still think people are better off with any degree than just a HS diploma (unless they go the trade route)

Credential inflation is becoming a very real concept. The more degrees the public earn the more one will be expected for even a relatively menial job.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:33 AM

890 posts, read 882,898 times
Only half of engineering graduates get jobs in their field. For those who do get a job, the average engineering career is seven years. The right STEM degree, from the right university, if the individual gets good grades, will lead to a good job. For those with lower grades, or who graduate from an undistinguished college, they are in the same boat as many liberal arts graduates. Outsourcing, and bringing in lots of immigrants, with the goal of keeping a young (low paid) workforce, have damaged engineering as a career choice.
For those who pursue liberal arts, they need to get a high GPA so they can get into graduate school. I had a college roommate majoring in English, who had straight As, he got into med school.
A liberal arts degree with good grades should also allow someone to get into officer candidate school, so they can be an officer in the military. Twenty years service provides a great inflation adjusted pension, as well as medical care.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:05 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Bachelors degree can do many great things, just depends what you study as a bachelors in stem is an infinite world of possibilities
Possibilities means an endless array of temp jobs. Go ask MSChemist80 about the pros of being a STEM major.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Read Aaron Clarey's book Worthless. A lot of degrees just are not worth it, do not do much to help you get a good job, and burden you with debt to boot. Degrees are investments and you need to analyze it and figure out if there is a return on that investment.

An "investment" is probably the best way to look at a degree. And just like investments some pay off faster and or better than others. So the Computer Programming, the Accounting, the Supply Chain management, the Accounting etc.., the rate of return for those type of degrees are typically very good.

For the English, the History, the Anthropology degree etc... -Yes you can get good return on them as well but it will be harder. Remember you are trying to sell a degree that is largely seen as "worthless" to the employer so right off the bat your initial obstacle will be getting an interview in the first place. I see many people earlier posted about various research positions and yes they can be done with the History degree but one may have overlooked the fact that the various research associate positions usually want experienced people as opposed to someone fresh out of school with no professional experience. Now if the History degree, the political science degree etc... where not seen as "worthless" then you could get hired, build upon that experience, move up the corporate ladder etc... but remember if your degree is seen as "worthless" it can be kind of hard to get hired in the first place so then you are stuck in the "Need experience to get a job but how can I get a job without experience" loop.

OP, I know I have probably mentioned it before but what I would recommend:

1) Hit up any friends, family , relatives etc... for any type of connection, if anyone is able to get your resume to human eyes and bypass the whole Taleo system, that is a good thing. There is a reason why "its not what you know its who you know" is relevant.

2) If you can get an "in" to a company you want to work for even if it is a position you don't really want- take the "IN". If it means settling for the customer support, data entry, sales etc...- you usually will have a better shot at moving up the ladder if you are willing to endure the bleh position.

3) Consider going back to school for something more marketable. You know the whole "if you cant beat them, its better to join them" -there is a reason why 2nd degree Accounting and Nursing programs are popular.

4) Never stop applying for the dream job but be willing to settle in the interim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment