Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 08:36 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
An "investment" is probably the best way to look at a degree. And just like investments some pay off faster and or better than others. So the Computer Programming, the Accounting, the Supply Chain management, the Accounting etc.., the rate of return for those type of degrees are typically very good.

For the English, the History, the Anthropology degree etc... -Yes you can get good return on them as well but it will be harder. Remember you are trying to sell a degree that is largely seen as "worthless" to the employer so right off the bat your initial obstacle will be getting an interview in the first place. I see many people earlier posted about various research positions and yes they can be done with the History degree but one may have overlooked the fact that the various research associate positions usually want experienced people as opposed to someone fresh out of school with no professional experience. Now if the History degree, the political science degree etc... where not seen as "worthless" then you could get hired, build upon that experience, move up the corporate ladder etc... but remember if your degree is seen as "worthless" it can be kind of hard to get hired in the first place so then you are stuck in the "Need experience to get a job but how can I get a job without experience" loop.

OP, I know I have probably mentioned it before but what I would recommend:

1) Hit up any friends, family , relatives etc... for any type of connection, if anyone is able to get your resume to human eyes and bypass the whole Taleo system, that is a good thing. There is a reason why "its not what you know its who you know" is relevant.

2) If you can get an "in" to a company you want to work for even if it is a position you don't really want- take the "IN". If it means settling for the customer support, data entry, sales etc...- you usually will have a better shot at moving up the ladder if you are willing to endure the bleh position.

3) Consider going back to school for something more marketable. You know the whole "if you cant beat them, its better to join them" -there is a reason why 2nd degree Accounting and Nursing programs are popular.

4) Never stop applying for the dream job but be willing to settle in the interim.
I have a friend with lib arts degree who worked for a nationwide snack food company as a commissioned sales vendor. He was offered a corporate position because he was one of the few vendors that had a bachelors degree. Of course he turned it down because he made more money being an hourly commission sales position.

The point is even though you can get jobs with just a HS diploma, you will eventually reach a point where you can't advance without more education.

Unless you're applying for jobs that require a specialization (like computer science) it's more important to have a degree not so much what it is in. Many people study liberal arts because the aren't confident enough or unwilling to study a more challenging major like engineering or accounting. One should never put a limit on their abilities until they have tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2016, 09:27 AM

82 posts, read 63,584 times
The only time a liberal arts degree can have value is when it's obtained at Princeton - Wall Street recruits the top pedigree and when they see a Princeton philosophy-history undergrad they like to recruit that more than economics sometimes because of the analysis in liberal arts at a top school. Philosophy at Cal state LA, however, is the polar opposite of engineering at Cal state LA - the latter is still hugely marketable for many companies

Old 12-25-2016, 02:22 PM

403 posts, read 363,500 times
I have poli sci degree, I am now in recruitment.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 PM

103 posts, read 98,345 times
My degree is in Poli Sci. I've spent my life in sales, 33 years for mega corp and now real estate. The degree got me in the door and I've had no regrets.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 PM

I applied to sales jobs for medical device company as I have sales experience and was a top producer (not b2b but still sales) and none of those companies moved forward. How do you make it then in sales if they don't even give you the chance in an entry level sales role? For med devices since that's my interest or pharmaceutical

Old 12-25-2016, 07:48 PM

103 posts, read 98,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfan1 View Post
I applied to sales jobs for medical device company as I have sales experience and was a top producer (not b2b but still sales) and none of those companies moved forward. How do you make it then in sales if they don't even give you the chance in an entry level sales role? For med devices since that's my interest or pharmaceutical
I wish I had a good answer for you. The company I worked for was involved with tobacco and liquor and I was always surprised at the number of Pharm companies that recruited our sales rep's. If you can get in with a consumer product company, that has a good reputation, you might be able to back door your way into pharm or medical device sales.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:01 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
Quote:
do you have experience with those medical devices? do you buy a car from a salesman who doesn't know how to drive?

MTs are recruited by those companies to sale lab equipment because... they know them, used them for years and know how the lab operates enough to make a sales pitch

Xray techs for imaging machines, nurses for poc, etc, most sales reps have worked in the field that they are now selling to. The companies can teach sales skill, they want someone with industry experience. besides medical devices are regulated enough that they "sale" themselves due to not many outside competition. It isn't the same as selling scooters/wheelchairs door to door, the "hustle" is different.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:55 PM

^thats why I said entry level sales rep med device role where they only require a bachelors. It has to start somewhere. Reread the post.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
My degree is in Poli Sci. I've spent my life in sales, 33 years for mega corp and now real estate. The degree got me in the door and I've had no regrets.
If we work in a pathetic, idiotic CS role right now how can we segue in such industries you mentioned when are background is just service?

Old 12-31-2016, 12:10 PM

902 posts, read 746,955 times
Quote:
If we work in a pathetic, idiotic CS role right now how can we segue in such industries you mentioned when are background is just service?
That is for you to figure out, no one is going to do it for you. Opportunities don't drop out of the sky, you gotta make moves and take risks........and yes there will be risks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment