Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 01:46 PM

82 posts, read 63,644 times

Advertisements

I think I know it's for us to figure out (really? That's an obvious) and have been doing that already but they want the necessary industry experience hence it doesn't hurt to ask how others did it in such fields when they just have their ba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 03:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

It's all been said. The Pol Sci degree is worthless on the job market. You either need to go back and get a Computer/Technology, engineering,or healthcare professional degree, get a trade, join the military and become an officer, go to a coding boot camp etc. As it is right now, the pol sci degree is not marketable. As I said, Aaron Clarey wrote a book about and has a whole youtube channel where he talks about liberal arts degrees.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-31-2016 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-31-2016, 07:10 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

It's all been said. The Pol Sci degree is worthless on the job market. You either need to go back and get a Computer/Technology, engineering,or healthcare professional degree, get a trade, join the military and become an officer, go to a coding boot camp etc. As it is right now, the pol sci degree is not marketable. As I said, Aaron Clarey wrote a book about and has a whole youtube channel where he talks about liberal arts degrees.
I am aware of that man's book and have read some of the reviews (although haven't read the book itself). He says people should only go into just a few college programs, mainly STEM degree fields. The problem with that is, there aren't enough jobs to go around even in those fields. Most of these STEM jobs are increasingly given to people with H1-B visas, because they can be hired for cheaper by employers. Everyone I know who has been through long term unemployment was in the IT field. I know many engineers who have been laid off. Healthcare jobs although they can't be outsourced, they are "insourced" - hospitals now hire as many people from other countries as they can for these jobs. There is a job crisis in the USA. Telling people to not major in liberal arts won't help anything.

Old 12-31-2016, 07:47 PM

If we were to get a certificate in Regulatory Affairs, that program itself costs over a couple thousand by a university that offers it via Extension. Now if our goal is to get into Regulatory affairs via a pharm/med device company, would this certificate in itself allow entry into an RA role (on top of having your bachelors in liberal arts)? And not just paying 38k annually, but well above that entry level

Old 12-31-2016, 07:54 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,434,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I am aware of that man's book and have read some of the reviews (although haven't read the book itself). He says people should only go into just a few college programs, mainly STEM degree fields. The problem with that is, there aren't enough jobs to go around even in those fields. Most of these STEM jobs are increasingly given to people with H1-B visas, because they can be hired for cheaper by employers. Everyone I know who has been through long term unemployment was in the IT field. I know many engineers who have been laid off. Healthcare jobs although they can't be outsourced, they are "insourced" - hospitals now hire as many people from other countries as they can for these jobs. There is a job crisis in the USA. Telling people to not major in liberal arts won't help anything.
But at least IT and engineering gives you real world skills in working with technology and machines. As a worst case scenario you could dumb down your resume, do some fudging and work help desk, equipment operator etc.
At least you have a fighting chance with these "marketable degrees."

Political science and other liberal arts frankly doesn't.

Old 12-31-2016, 08:05 PM

Poli sci is good for personal enrichment and analaytical/writing ability but yes per above it is useless like the history or philosophy degree. They need to jettison these degrees now as they are worthless ad hoc programs and just stepping stones; wish universities would be pragmatic and put disclaimers for liberal arts folks prior to enrolling that says "please note you should use this background mostly as a stepping stone to a grad degree program"

Only time it's useful is if it's obtained at Princeton since Wall Street will recruit any and all majors at target schools, whereas most companies look for specific backgrounds

Last edited by Sportfan1; 12-31-2016 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-31-2016, 08:50 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportfan1 View Post
If we were to get a certificate in Regulatory Affairs, that program itself costs over a couple thousand by a university that offers it via Extension. Now if our goal is to get into Regulatory affairs via a pharm/med device company, would this certificate in itself allow entry into an RA role (on top of having your bachelors in liberal arts)? And not just paying 38k annually, but well above that entry level
Still looking?

Pharm sales is a tough racket.

What fields ARE you interested in, forgetting money for a bit.

Old 12-31-2016, 09:15 PM

Definitely interested in pharmaceutical sales as I volunteered and did research with a dr on neurological deficits, used to volunteer at university hospital and helped someone weekly with mobility issues who had Parkinson's Disease, so the healthcare field in general. All roles I applied tho with pharmacy sales despite my background degree and then some was rejected due to other candidates who's experience more closely aligned with job reqs it said (I just applied to entry level pharmacy sales of course). Yet still nothing; I delineated my volunteer experience and research volunteer work, highlighting medical terminology knowledge, and still, entry level won't materialize

Old 12-31-2016, 09:19 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times
Quote:
Definitely interested in pharmaceutical sales as I volunteered and did research with a dr on neurological deficits, used to volunteer at university hospital and helped someone weekly with mobility issues who had Parkinson's Disease, so the healthcare field in general. All roles I applied tho with pharmacy sales despite my background degree and then some was rejected due to other candidates who's experience more closely aligned with job reqs it said (I just applied to entry level pharmacy sales of course). Yet still nothing
One has to have some certain to get into pharm sales. Forgot the licensing agencies. Just google it. Think it's like 800-1000

Old 01-01-2017, 06:40 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
Quote:
Poli sci is good for personal enrichment and analaytical/writing ability but yes per above it is useless like the history or philosophy degree. They need to jettison these degrees now as they are worthless ad hoc programs and just stepping stones; wish universities would be pragmatic and put disclaimers for liberal arts folks prior to enrolling that says "please note you should use this background mostly as a stepping stone to a grad degree program"

Only time it's useful is if it's obtained at Princeton since Wall Street will recruit any and all majors at target schools, whereas most companies look for specific backgrounds

The problem lies in how a university education is being treated as vocational school, which it is not and never was. Not every degree will lead to a job, it never did in the whole history of the university system. The exception is traditional university studies such as law, medicine, or some other scientific field.

If someone just wants "to get a job" then they would be better off studying a trade at a community college or tech school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment