Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 03:18 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfceast View Post
I just feel as a manager you need to give more information when you send a text like that especially to someone like me who was laid off 5 times since 2007. I guess having a coworker as a facebook friend finally came in handy because I would have been having an anxiety attack until I got to work on Thursday morning. Glad she was able to tell me they closed at 10am due to a plumbing issue at the job.
I'm not sure if you are a salaried employee or a hourly wage earner.. Salaried folks get paid whether or not they work in these situations..which means likely is why they have to REPORT for work..and hourly paid ones get unrequested days off!

Is this your company's YEAR END..sos trying to cut costs..which will help their bottomline..most likely. End of year/or year end for particular company's often force days offer salaried workers.

Try not tone paranoid..but the workplace atmosphere in the past decade or more has always been stressful, since no job seems to be SAFE..like in the old days!

Just my 2 cents/philosophical viewpoint OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 03:21 PM

1,281 posts, read 777,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I'm not sure if you are a salaried employee or a hourly wage earner.. Salaried folks get paid whether or not they work in these situations..which means likely is why they have to REPORT for work..and hourly paid ones get unrequested days off!

Is this your company's YEAR END..sos trying to cut costs..which will help their bottomline..most likely. End of year/or year end for particular company's often force days offer salaried workers.

Try not tone paranoid..but the workplace atmosphere in the past decade or more has always been stressful, since no job seems to be SAFE..like in the old days!

Just my 2 cents/philosophical viewpoint OP

I;m salary and yes we will get paid for tomorrow. I also feel bad for those people who choose tomorrow for their floater holiday because most of the staff will be off along with them.

Old 12-27-2016, 04:25 PM

42 posts, read 75,718 times
I feel like the last week of the year is the most unproductive/high risk of. There is the day after Christmas and then the day after New Year's where only the best of the best and non-seasonal help.. have a job to speak of the day of the New Year, or day after.

Things are also wicked slow in the first quarter, that hours clock shrinks big-time and doesn't really go back up of hours available to be spread around to all hourly employees until...

From what I hear, Salary is a trap, as you can work a LOT more than 40 per week/ and it doesn't count.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:54 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,486,875 times
Quote:
I just feel as a manager you need to give more information when you send a text like that especially to someone like me who was laid off 5 times since 2007. I guess having a coworker as a facebook friend finally came in handy because I would have been having an anxiety attack until I got to work on Thursday morning. Glad she was able to tell me they closed at 10am due to a plumbing issue at the job.
That is terrible.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:
Right now I am hearing they had to close early because of a plumbing issue. So I am trying to get more info but it's just threw me off because I never got a text like that. Now sure why the manager couldn't just say why they will be closed tomorrow.
But if they were closed due to a plumbing issue, then why have anyone come in?

Old 12-27-2016, 06:57 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
In this day and age of business instability, a memo like that would have scared the bejeezits out of me. I'm retired now, but have been in a couple of situations where things went downhill FAST....no warning at all.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
The coworker said they closed today at 10am due to a plumbing issue, i have no clue why the office is closed tomorrow except for managers.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
In this day and age of business instability, a memo like that would have scared the bejeezits out of me. I'm retired now, but have been in a couple of situations where things went downhill FAST....no warning at all.
It was a situation today where there was no water in the building and everyone was dismissed at 10am. Tomorrow I have no clue why the office is closed and everyone is expected to stay home except managers.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:02 PM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Look back to what I posted about we teachers having to come in when school was closed due to water, heat or electric issues. Hell, a couple times we were closed for weather and they wanted us to come in.

I guess the thought is that management could get work done, have meetings, whatever.

Old 12-28-2016, 07:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:
I hope that you aren't facing a lay off. But your reasons for overreacting to this text would not be something the management would even know, much less consider when sending a group text.

I think that you are over-reacting, because of your historical job experiences.

Last edited by JanND; 12-28-2016 at 07:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment