Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,836,758 times

Advertisements

It's 2017. Everyone has a cell phone and it's a major part of everyone's life so get over it and get on with life. Even when I've traveled in 3rd world countries everyone is glued to their phones. You can't stop progressive or go back in time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2017, 12:37 PM

504 posts, read 301,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
It's 2017. Everyone has a cell phone and it's a major part of everyone's life so get over it and get on with life. Even when I've traveled in 3rd world countries everyone is glued to their phones. You can't stop progressive or go back in time
Get over it. You will not have your cell phone inside my place of work. Want to change that? Get your own company. My place, my rules.

I had virtually no employee turnover, as everyone knew the rules, and knew they were there to work for me and grow the company. Employee satisfaction does not rely on cell phone access. You're free to work elsewhere.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:53 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,329,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post
Get over it. You will not have your cell phone inside my place of work. Want to change that? Get your own company. My place, my rules.

{snip}
That attitude is why people sneak around on bosses like yourself, because your disposition is completely unreasonable and they know it and they're not going to respect someone who thinks it's the year 1963 and rotary dial phones are the thing.

Not only that, we have laws in place regarding certain things for certain scenarios. It may be "your company," but those are PEOPLE working for you, not robots who exist merely as a means to your end. That is why there are laws mandating that you can't refuse to hire anyone but white people or men with blonde hair and blue eyes. There is no law for this issue, sure, but if I had my druthers there would be, you would be MADE and FORCED and ORDERED to allow people to have their phones on them or your company would be taken away from you. I am not kidding, I'm totally serious. (I'm not saying that people would be allowed to goof off, I'm just saying that a total ban would be absolutely illegal for the great majority of jobs out there.)

"Well when you put in the money and effort to make a business THEN you can talk to me about how it ought to be done, but you didn't, so your opinion is irrelevant," that's the typical response I hear. Again, the government has RIGHTLY deemed that a place of work ought to have certain provisions in place with respect to fair and equitable employee treatment, they understand that it is not just about the one who owns the company. A good boss understands this too, he or she understands that without his employees he/she goes nowhere in the business, and they seek to treat people with respect and with decency. Many of them don't even need any laws to do it, they just do. I salute those bosses.

Old 01-04-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillionmt View Post

I had virtually no employee turnover, as everyone knew the rules, and knew they were there to work for me and grow the company. Employee satisfaction does not rely on cell phone access. You're free to work elsewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That attitude is why people sneak around on bosses like yourself, because your disposition is completely unreasonable and they know it and they're not going to respect someone who thinks it's the year 1963 and rotary dial phones are the thing.

Not only that, we have laws in place regarding certain things for certain scenarios. It may be "your company," but those are PEOPLE working for you, not robots who exist merely as a means to your end. That is why there are laws mandating that you can't refuse to hire anyone but white people or men with blonde hair and blue eyes. There is no law for this issue, sure, but if I had my druthers there would be, you would be MADE and FORCED and ORDERED to allow people to have their phones on them or your company would be taken away from you. I am not kidding, I'm totally serious. (I'm not saying that people would be allowed to goof off, I'm just saying that a total ban would be absolutely illegal for the great majority of jobs out there.)

"Well when you put in the money and effort to make a business THEN you can talk to me about how it ought to be done, but you didn't, so your opinion is irrelevant," that's the typical response I hear. Again, the government has RIGHTLY deemed that a place of work ought to have certain provisions in place with respect to fair and equitable employee treatment, they understand that it is not just about the one who owns the company. A good boss understands this too, he or she understands that without his employees he/she goes nowhere in the business, and they seek to treat people with respect and with decency. Many of them don't even need any laws to do it, they just do. I salute those bosses.
I find it interesting that you could only make a comment about one part of my post, which for your convience, I posted completely above.

What part did you not understand that about the fact that I had virtually NO employee turnover? Why? Because their jobs were meaningful, they knew their input would be considered, and changes could occur quickly if they made sense.

I have no idea what makes you think I did not value diversity in gender or race. I don't give a flying fig about either, as long as you can pull your weight.

Your prejudging and assumptions is telling. And no, you would not be allowed to have your phone at my place of work... keep it at home or in your car. Period.

Old 01-04-2017, 02:44 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,690,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post

When you agree to take a job with a company you are agreeing to abide by their policies and rules. Deciding after the fact that you don't like a policy and will not follow it is why people get reprimanded up to termination.

It's not hidden, nor is it unreasonable at the time that you agree to take the job, so I agree with the poster above. If you want to abide by a different set of rules than the companies you work for, start your own and set your own rules. Eventually you'll find that you have to set some of the very same rules.

It's completely stupid to think that people NEED a cellphone at their place of work if that cell phone is not critical to them performing their duties.

Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,669,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
it is overly strict, but i have seen things almost as bad.

No cell phones on the retail floor is pretty standard. No personal calls on the company landline is also not uncommon. Exceptions are usually made for emergencies, but some people have 2-3 emergencies a day. I remember talking to an employee and telling her that emergency meant limiting calls on the store line to 2-3 calls a year.

No phones during breaks and lunchtime is unreasonable though.

+1

Old 01-04-2017, 05:04 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,310,480 times
To me, my smart phone is a tool. A picture is worth a thousand words and taking a picture of a needed repair is far better than trying to describe something that's broken, when you might not know half the parts needed to fix it. It's also the perfect thing to call 911 when you smell gas. Or see a criminal trying to break into a unit. Or call the property manager for assistance...or email him on something....

But here's the thing for all the pro-cell phoners. People don't believe people are actually working on a cell phone. I get reported all the time for "loafing" on my cell phone. I had a woman get into my face, and then get even buggier, when I explained I am the owner of the company. I am not on anyone's clock, and the faster I get done here, the faster my day is through, and I can play on my phone in the comfort of my own home.

I've had people tell me something that needs to be attended to, and I take a note of it on my phone, and that annoys them. People have gotten snarky as I take a photo and put it in an email for the PM, noting what he needs to know right there on the spot, because I won't have to try to remember details.

Doing this front of them as I tell what I am doing...they are still annoyed. To them, it's not a tool, it's a toy.

I've stopped being defensive about it. It doesn't make any sense because people rarely make sense. Let them report me. I know the truth. And I know I'm not the only vendor doing this -- we all do it. Easier than carrying a pen and paper.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,798,686 times
A care giver position, is one place they are apt ban cell phones. As was pointed out they are not only a phone but a camera. Too many people take pictures of some very sick person, and think it is their right to post the picture on Facebook, etc.

To keep that from happening no phone policy is the only avenue they can follow. If you are in the building for lunch, and breaks, you are still in the building where cell phones are not to even be. It is a privacy issue, and as some employees will do such things, the management has one choice which is to ban cell phones from the building period.

Some businesses due to some employees spending more time on their cell phones than working, are cladding their new buildings with metal, that prevents cell phone use. I am talking about Billion dollar companies not little companies.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:48 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,329,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
To me, my smart phone is a tool. {snip}

But here's the thing for all the pro-cell phoners. People don't believe people are actually working on a cell phone. I get reported all the time for "loafing" on my cell phone. {snip} I've had people tell me something that needs to be attended to, and I take a note of it on my phone, and that annoys them. People have gotten snarky as I take a photo and put it in an email for the PM, noting what he needs to know right there on the spot, because I won't have to try to remember details.

Doing this front of them as I tell what I am doing...they are still annoyed. To them, it's not a tool, it's a toy.

I've stopped being defensive about it. It doesn't make any sense because people rarely make sense. Let them report me. I know the truth. And I know I'm not the only vendor doing this -- we all do it. Easier than carrying a pen and paper.
Exactly. That is what I have told people--I know what I'm doing, I don't need to appease stupid people. I don't mind a quick simple explanation periodically, but beyond that yes think what you want I know the truth and if I know the truth that's good enough. Having to do something in an inferior way because people are too stupid to understand it is something I have close to zero patience for.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
To me, my smart phone is a tool. A picture is worth a thousand words and taking a picture of a needed repair is far better than trying to describe something that's broken, when you might not know half the parts needed to fix it. It's also the perfect thing to call 911 when you smell gas. Or see a criminal trying to break into a unit. Or call the property manager for assistance...or email him on something....

But here's the thing for all the pro-cell phoners. People don't believe people are actually working on a cell phone. I get reported all the time for "loafing" on my cell phone. I had a woman get into my face, and then get even buggier, when I explained I am the owner of the company. I am not on anyone's clock, and the faster I get done here, the faster my day is through, and I can play on my phone in the comfort of my own home.

I've had people tell me something that needs to be attended to, and I take a note of it on my phone, and that annoys them. People have gotten snarky as I take a photo and put it in an email for the PM, noting what he needs to know right there on the spot, because I won't have to try to remember details.

Great, you own the company, you make the rules. And I truly do understand that a smartphone can be a tool. However, my company, my rules. There is no, absolutely no, reason why any of my employees need to access a smartphone in fulfilling their duties. Therefore, no phones allowed at work, period. No exceptions. We have a receptionist who knows how to contact our employees if an emergency should arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment