Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2017, 05:09 PM

3,096 posts, read 2,439,958 times

Advertisements

I used to work at a factory where they designed and printed t-shirts. One employee on the floor took photos of a new design and posted them to social media. After what must have been some unpleasant and embarrassing phone calls from headquarters, the employee was fired the next day. The policy is now that you can have your cell phone on your person on the factory floor, but you cannot have it out. If you need to make or receive an important message, you talk to your supervisor.

With my parents, my mother called my father two times at work--two times in over 40 years. He worked construction and it was hard to reach him at work, and as a welder, he couldn't have fiddled around with a cell phone even if they'd been available.

My point isn't that cell phones are terrible and unnecessary, but that they do pose a real risk to some employers, and that within living memory, people didn't call each other at work and didn't consider it a hardship.

Personally, when I first got a cell phone, I got so tired of people constantly calling that I told them to call my land line, which I used to answer messages once a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 05:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,045,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
True fact for my workplace:

No Cell phones, ipods or tablets. Period.
No Liquids during work time.
No messages will be taken, so don't expect to get any .
No jackets or any carry alls on the floor workarea. which means I cannt bring my purse into work. I had to buy a key chain to snap onto my waist belt for my car key.

So basically I cannot be hydrated , nor am I allowed to wear a extra sweater or carry one for days that it gets terribly cold in my workspace.

I'm waiting for them to "charge" us for breathing in oxygen , I'm sure like most things they'll want us to hold our breath

do they allow visitors on weekends?? Sounds like you work for Kim Jong-un!!

In all honesty, way too many companies are this way in america, mainly because too many sycophants that simply pander to the employer and refuse to stand up for themselves, saying that you should all bow down and worship "The Company" and be eternally grateful for the chance to be abused and underpaid.
Just look at the W&E forum- way too many blindly side with the employers no matter what.
Oh well such is life in Corporate 'Murica with it's beloved "at-will" nonsense.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:29 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,497,316 times
Thinking back to my high school days, if my Mom was scheduled to pick me up that day on her drive home from work, and if something came up at school (I was very active), I would call her briefly at her desk phone just to tell her not to pick me up, that I would call home later or get a ride with someone else or if it was still light out, I'd walk home (2+ miles, and I didn't wear rubber-soled, comfortable shoes, either.)

In fact, in my senior year, I learned I didn't need all my classes' credit to graduate, so I left early and walked home most days.
No phone, no way to contact anyone, just street smarts and a then-safe city.

Old 01-01-2017, 05:40 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,045,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm more concerned about people who can't go 8 hours without talking on the cell phones. Try talking to your co-workers or to some strangers on your lunch break. You might enjoy the new experience.

I'm even more concerned with those that never question any employer policy, and blindly agree with everything the Company does.
So if "The Company" (genuflect) had a policy that said each worker got punched in the grill promptly at 8AM, instead of protesting such a policy, you'd applaud them for getting it over with early!

Old 01-01-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
YOU DARN KIDS STAY OFF MY LAWN!!!!!

Good God, I swear if companies had a policy where you'd have to cut off an arm to keep your job, some of you would go get the rusty saw, no questions asked!! It's attitudes like this that contribute to the American workplace looking more like a gulag every day!! Common sense folks, if an employee abuses cell phone use-can them, God knows you don't even need a reason in 'Murica anyways.
Life is different these days, and believe it or not, many excellent employees may need use of a cell phone at times!!

While you're at it, eliminate bathrooms at work, just use a bucket and some paper towels too FFS

Some people *shakes head
Going a little overboard, aren't you over the notion by many that having 24-hr. access to a personal cell phone is not a Constitutional Right nor the slightest bit necessary. A person is usually paid to work during the hours scheduled, especially in a small retail store, not to hang out on the cell phone.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:08 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,055,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
Ok, let me break this down:

You're missing my point. She was hired before this unusual policy came to light--it was incompatible with her life obligations. They should had made this known beforehand.

First, I never I said ordinary cell phone use is a "right" at work---I say emergency calls, coming in via the store's phones (real the bold sections below of OP).

Second, I say such a policy in that kind of work environment is unnecessary and is potentially a liability. Does not have to do with "rights"; It has to do with ethics, when considering the totality of the scenario described by the OP.

Lets consider this: An emergency call coming in to work is a rare thing, but when it does occur--and it can happen with virtually anyone ---it has a good chance of not being conveyed to the worker in such a case.
Now, lets say that worker is you and your son was gravely injured in an auto wreck--its unclear if he will survive or not and the hospital or someone else attempts to contact you at work---and can't get through. You find out hours later, after getting off work. You wouldn't be upset? Its not a "right" to know such a thing?

The OP states in her message:
I checked into a part-time retail position in a family-owned business close to home. It seemed ideal for me as a 24/7 caregiver who is retired and just wanted to work a few hours a day, a few days a week, for extra income and to get out of the house.
They wanted to hire me ''on the spot'' and the hours seemed fine considering my role at home, until their cell phone policy came to light.
It seemed overly strict to me: no cell phones at work, period. If you brought one with you it had to be left at the front desk or in your car. No making or accepting ANY phone calls at work. Not even during break, lunch, via their landlines, or your cell.
As a caregiver that was unacceptable and there was no budging on their policy, so that ended that for me.
I mean, who would work where they could not even be contacted via the store's line for a family emergency?
Anyone run into policies this strict?
You make a very poor argument. Way too many extreme examples of WHAT COULD happen. The genesis of the policy was more than likely an issue with excessive usuage of "Hand held" devices. The policy seems reasonable for an employee in an "entry level" job.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:22 PM

754 posts, read 1,503,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
You make a very poor argument. Way too many extreme examples of WHAT COULD happen. The genesis of the policy was more than likely an issue with excessive usuage of "Hand held" devices. The policy seems reasonable for an employee in an "entry level" job.
No, its a very reasonable argument. You're still not answering the fundamental question I put forth: Would you or not feel upset if an emergency call was not relayed to you at work? (as I describe in the post). A number of people here have already stated this more or less, regarding this sort of thing.

It really comes down a good balance: many companies have at least partial prohibitions on cell phone usage during work hours---but restricting ALL contact via phone, even the company's land line, for whatever reason, is unreasonable for many of us and yes, believe it or not, could open them to liability. I have seen it happen.
Yes, not a typical scenario, but that "could be" can translate into can happen--put yourself in that person's shoes for a minute.

What are these "way too many extreme examples", by the way? I really only give one example. If you've been in the working world long enough as I have been, you're very likely to have seen this sort of thing at least enough times to give pause to such a policy, regarding the complete forbidding of phone use --and I mean emergency incoming calls via the land lane, as the OP states.

Not allowing cellphones, or hand helds on the floor is one thing, that's pretty much a given these days , but baring ALL in-coming calls via the land line in case of a legit emergency is another altogether---that is what I am driving at. THAT is the part of the policy I am not agreeing with.
That is my point essentially. I find that perfectly reasonable and perfectly sound argument.

The bottom line is the company really should have made this known before hiring, not after. Baring cell phones is one thing, but this policy takes it too far regarding breaks, emergency calls via the company phone.

Last edited by Austin023; 01-01-2017 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: addition of text

Old 01-01-2017, 07:10 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,055,779 times
Nah I wouldn't be upset if I wasn't notified "immediately" or instantly. My point to your extreme example is there are many EXTREME examples which yours is. There are way too many negatives. Lost production. Privacy in the workplace. Insurance liability Injuries. Haven't some of these devices caused fires? Should I let you have electricity to charge it? The policy is the policy. I wouldn't quit this position because of it. If it was as important to OP as it appears, then OP should have asked beforehand. Think it through. Your argument is very weak Austin123

Old 01-01-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
There is also this: "Short and unobtrusive breaks, such as a quick surf of the internet, enables the mind to rest itself, leading to a higher total net concentration for a days work, and as a result, increased productivity."

Study: surfing the Internet at work boosts productivity | Ars Technica
Look at the source: Ars Technica. What else would you expect them to say?

Old 01-01-2017, 08:04 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,276,330 times
I would never accept that. I understand if I can't have it while I'm on the clock but to say I can't have one nor have access to a landline while at work? NO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment