Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times

Advertisements

Sorry.... but I'm not buying that an employer wouldn't take an emergency call and pass it on to you. That's begging for a lawsuit. I don't know of any employer who would take that kind of risk over something as simple as allowing you to take an emergency call. But I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2017, 02:12 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,322,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
No, I did not misunderstand and ''blow it out of proportion''. It was exactly as I stated.
I talked with the owner and there was no budging on the policy.
I suspect he was having trouble with a current employee among the small group that worked there as well as having trouble with seasonal employees.
Yes, and besides that, again SO WHAT if a person uses their own cell phone for such things, especially so long as it's not every other nanosecond and they're a productive employee in the general sense of things. I swear some people act like cell phones have leprosy or such.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:11 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,573,484 times
I don't care if any of you ''buy'' my explanation or not. It was what was told to me, by the owner, and I took his word for it. End of story.

Old 01-06-2017, 03:36 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,276,699 times
I understand not having a cell phone while working but not being able to use one during your break is absurd. Have employers gotten so arrogant that they can control every little thing employees doing even during the employee's break?

Old 01-06-2017, 03:44 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
You must be younger because a lot of us worked WITH NO CELL PHONES for many many years. We didn't have the internet and we did juuuuuuust fine without it.

I have had a cell phone since the mid-to-late 1990s and I think I've made exactly one call that I would deem an emergency.
And I bet you didn't wear seat-belts during that whole time and never got into an accident either.
Better stop wasting time with those vaccinations too, cause you aren't dead yet.
You just keep smoking as well, because you are still here.

Old 01-06-2017, 05:18 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
I understand not having a cell phone while working but not being able to use one during your break is absurd. Have employers gotten so arrogant that they can control every little thing employees doing even during the employee's break?
30 some years ago I worked for a bank whose manager told us we worked for the bank 24/7, and had to act and dress accordingly out of the office. No going out in scuzzy clothing, or going to socially inappropriate places...

Now -- the area was socially conservative, and most of the people there were a little older and not likely to go to those places, so no one said anything. Neither was I. So I thought it was a stupid thing to say, but let it go.

The second time we got the speech, I stood up to it by saying when you pay me 24/7, we'll talk... everyone laughed. Boss was a little ticked, but she had announced her retirement at the meeting, so she was out the door in a few weeks anyway

But here's the thing -- other offices weren't treated this way. I don't know what happened to make her start this, but it must have been a doozy!

Old 01-06-2017, 10:53 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
I don't care if any of you ''buy'' my explanation or not. It was what was told to me, by the owner, and I took his word for it. End of story.
Either you misunderstood what the owner said, or he truly is insane.

Old 01-06-2017, 10:56 PM

4,523 posts, read 3,409,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
30 some years ago I worked for a bank whose manager told us we worked for the bank 24/7, and had to act and dress accordingly out of the office. No going out in scuzzy clothing, or going to socially inappropriate places...
Haha, and how exactly would they have controlled that? Would they somehow spy on you 24/7?

I feel like that was more baseless talk than anything. I would have done whatever I damn well wanted to off the clock.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:52 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Haha, and how exactly would they have controlled that? Would they somehow spy on you 24/7?

I feel like that was more baseless talk than anything. I would have done whatever I damn well wanted to off the clock.
I've thought about it over the years. The boss was older and very old fashioned. She reminded me a lot of grandmother, who was quite picky about her mode of dress and how she handled herself. Appearances were very important.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:45 PM

752 posts, read 1,496,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
Either you misunderstood what the owner said, or he truly is insane.
I think the owner was 'truly insane'. It is obvious the OP discussed this issue with him for clarification and got a direct answer regarding the land-line, no exceptions period, etc. part of it. The OP is simply telling it as it was told by the owner.

No cell phones on the floor during work hours are one thing, those policies are VERY common these days, but not allowing use of the landline, even incoming calls for emergencies are another altogether and many posters here seem to be missing that part of it. That's a pretty significant deviation from what one would normally expect from an employer.

Sure, a company can install such a policy, but I wouldn't expect there to be too many takers when that policy is made known to prospective employees. I would even view it as a potential liability to the company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment