Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2017, 09:44 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,371,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Magically, people have survived for centuries without cell phones. This cell phone addiction is a fairly recent thing. If someone needs to get ahold of you, they can call the store. Not a big deal!

I own my own company and I have a STRICT ZERO tolerance policy for cell phone usage. First time, I find you using it during working hours, you receive a written warning. Second time, you're fired on the spot. The written warning was your second chance. There is no third chance. Don't like this policy? Be an adult! I am not paying you to be on your phone. I'm paying you to work. End of story.
Have you had to fire a lot of people for this?

I've always been amazed how many people literally cannot stay off their phones even after they've been disciplined/formally warned about it. It's like, they know they can lose their jobs for being on the phones too much or at the wrong times, but they just can't resist that in-the-moment temptation to check their messages or facebook or whatever.

I always hate losing decent employees over stupid things like this but some people just can't help themselves. Attendance policies are the same way...some people can be there five minutes late with great consistency, never late by more than a handful of minutes, but never on time. And they lose their job because they can't figure out a way to get there five or ten minutes sooner every day.

It's kind of fascinating to me and I do think sometimes the easiest policy for everyone is to just not allow the phones in the workspace, because it seems like that's the only way some people are able to keep their hands off their phones for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Ultimately if you're not a customer-facing employee, and you have nothing to do, I don't really care if you're on your phone or the internet or whatever. Where I see it as a real issue is when I see that stuff when there IS work to do.

Unfortunately phone-checking/browsing is a very compulsive behavior and human beings seem to be very prone to habits/compulsions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:50 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,349,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post

I've always been amazed how many people literally cannot stay off their phones even after they've been disciplined/formally warned about it. It's like, they know they can lose their jobs for being on the phones too much or at the wrong times, but they just can't resist that in-the-moment temptation to check their messages or facebook or whatever.

I always hate losing decent employees over stupid things like this but some people just can't help themselves. Attendance policies are the same way...some people can be there five minutes late with great consistency, never late by more than a handful of minutes, but never on time. And they lose their job because they can't figure out a way to get there five or ten minutes sooner every day.

It's kind of fascinating to me and I do think sometimes the easiest policy for everyone is to just not allow the phones in the workspace, because it seems like that's the only way some people are able to keep their hands off their phones for more than 15 minutes at a time.

Ultimately if you're not a customer-facing employee, and you have nothing to do, I don't really care if you're on your phone or the internet or whatever. Where I see it as a real issue is when I see that stuff when there IS work to do.

Unfortunately phone-checking/browsing is a very compulsive behavior and human beings seem to be very prone to habits/compulsions.
What if we need to use our phones for work related reasons?
Like googling or researching important IT issues that need to be resolved?

Old 01-03-2017, 10:09 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,663,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
If you had read the OP you would have seen that not only are cell phones not allowed neither are emergency calls at work.

The OP says twice "could not even be contacted via the store's line for a family emergency"
I DID read the OP. I can count on one hand the number of true emergency calls I've received in my lifetime. If one truly has an actual emergency like their mother was in a severe car accident and is in the hospital, then a family member could call the store's landline to let the person know. That's VERY rare.

There's absolutely no way to stop someone from calling a landline and saying we are having a medical emergency may I speak with so and so....99% of the time if someone has a true emergency, it's not a problem. People totally abuse what is an emergency though. Not being able to find the Pop Tarts is NOT an emergency even though to a 14 year old who wants a snack it's the end of the world.

My mother worked in a law school and my dad owned his own garage (still does). We never called dad at work because he was usually under a car working. The one time I actually called my mother at work when I was a teen was because my brother literally set his bed on fire. She always said we were only allowed to call her at work if someone was bleeding and a bandaid wouldn't fix it, the house was on fire, or a tree landed on our house. She thought I was pulling her leg when I told her the bed was on fire and I put it out and was ready to kill my brother....until she came home and saw the damage. it was literally a 20 second phone call as well....hey mom...your son set his bed on fire....i put it out. we're all fine. just wanted to let you know...That was the phone call pretty much except for her screaming WHAT?! after I said that. Did she rush home from work? Nope. Nothing to do. The fire was out. No one was hurt. The world didn't end.

I've worked with people whose grandmother died 3 or 4 times in ONE year! If you work in HR or a manager, you see people abusing things all day long. People are paid to WORK. Many people will do anything to get out of working and collect a paycheck.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
I think your policy is too HARSH and most people will end up either not liking you as a boss or leaving you ( Even your good employees)

Its especially easier said than done for Techs because we resolve issues somethings by googling things online or makings calls to other techs.

I personally thing its okay to use as long as your work is getting done.

Things happen at some point

Are you not gonna let Roger answer his phone? What if his kids in the hosptal?
What if something bad happen to his wife?
Doesn't matter what you think. It's my name on the business and I pay you. Every one is informed about this policy during the interview. Why? I want to know what your reaction to it is.

Not a single person has complained about the policy. Why? It's fair for EVERY single person. No one is treated any differently. If you need to use Google, use your computer. That's why it's here. If you have an emergency, your family is free to call our landline. A true emergency is VERY rare.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,371,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
What if we need to use our phones for work related reasons?
Like googling or researching important IT issues that need to be resolved?
I think that'd be totally fine. Most office settings have landlines and desktops/laptops for such purposes, but if you're out in the field or away from your computer, of course it's okay to use your phone.

Some people use company cell phones all day long as part of their job; it just depends on what the job is. I took the OP to be more about a scenario where the employees did not have any work-related reason to be using a cell phone.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:

I've issued one written warning. Haven't fired anyone yet. I tell people in their interview that this policy is non-negotiable and is grounds for termination. I'm dead serious. People are really addicted to their cell phones. I run a business and need people to actually work when they're here on my dime.

I'm also very strict about attendance. No call no show one time, you're immediately terminated.

I actually have a list of people waiting for a job at my company. People I would truly hire in heartbeat if something opened up. So employment is not an issue. It's actually a fun company to work for. You get to be creative and get paid for it. You also get to keep the items you create once we're done with them. We have a lot of events and we travel a lot. When we travel, we always go out to at least one nice dinner and do a little sight seeing unless the weather is absolutely miserable. And no one gets stuck staying in a Motel 6 unless they want to.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Doesn't matter what you think. It's my name on the business and I pay you. Every one is informed about this policy during the interview. Why? I want to know what your reaction to it is.

Not a single person has complained about the policy. Why? It's fair for EVERY single person. No one is treated any differently. If you need to use Google, use your computer. That's why it's here. If you have an emergency, your family is free to call our landline. A true emergency is VERY rare.
Well I hope to never work for you

Old 01-03-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
I think that'd be totally fine. Most office settings have landlines and desktops/laptops for such purposes, but if you're out in the field or away from your computer, of course it's okay to use your phone.

Some people use company cell phones all day long as part of their job; it just depends on what the job is. I took the OP to be more about a scenario where the employees did not have any work-related reason to be using a cell phone.
Yea im out and about in the field

At some point we need to use our phones or laptops to contact our supervisor or other co workers, submit a ticket or run some test,

Anyone that tell us we can't use our phones makes our life and job more difficult.

Most people are adults nobody needs to be watch like kids.

People who have a very difficult phone policy is someone I hope to never work for

Old 01-03-2017, 11:10 AM

9,452 posts, read 8,433,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Your child is sick and needs to be picked up, your partner was rushed to the hospital, your house was on fire...to name a few.
They have a landline! You know, a phone with a chord for emergency calls.

Old 01-03-2017, 11:15 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,582,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
They have a landline! You know, a phone with a chord for emergency calls.
Not according to the OP. Can't use the business line for anything, including emergency incoming calls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment