Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 06:43 AM

69 posts, read 39,433 times

Advertisements

It might not be forever, but through my extensive analysis of the Federal bureau of labor, i found that bricklaying /masons are enjoying an interesting bubble of both demand and yearly salary that's specific to my region of the country, probably due to the style of homes in my area and the amount of old masonry infrastructure. I also did research into the viability of the skilled trade and found that it should be in high demand well into the future, both for new infrastructure and restoration of currently standing brick/block. For many months i compared salaries of trades and careers in all sectors, and i found that in my area of the country, masonry worker's salaries start higher than any other apprenticeship trade, union or otherwise. This isn't a hunch. In comparison to other jobs/careers that offer the knowledge of a skilled trade while you earn, nothing compares in terms of pay in terms of the cost to benefit ratio of time investment through the first 4 years of apprenticeship. Also, through my research i found that nearly 30% or 3 in 10 masons working today, own their own successful business according to the Federal labor statistics website. In comparison to other skilled trades where less than 1% ever own they're own business, across the board. I mean this isn't a shoot in the dark, i did put a lot of thought into whether i would enjoy learning the bricklaying trade, and if it seemed profitable.

It may not be what i should be doing the rest of my life, but if i can make over 30 dollars an hour in 4 years from taking a 3 month class, working hard, and lifting smart... Its a great opportunity both short term and for opportunities in long term growth.

AND I CAN CANCEL MY GYM MEMBERSHIP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 06:53 AM

They gave me an extension till today, so i am going to call up the Union and accept the course after a few more questions about graduation rate, how many days can be missed, what types of things hinder graduation, and things of that nature.

I will try to continue doing CDL school on weekends and maybe 2 weekdays (if i can handle weekdays) and i am going for my forklift/skidsteer license this month (it's a 1-2 day proficiency class) that alone should raise my worth to over $16/hour in warehouse positions and will most likely also be beneficial in construction environments.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:56 AM

I said yes to the dress.

I have until mid April to change my mind and get my 350 dollars back i guess (i mean that's what i was told) so i guess i have an out if i need it right?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:34 AM

Sitting in the Union parking lot, everyone whose pulling in has a disgusting looking vehicle. Im not one to care much for appearances but are these people broke? Or are they applying to the Union today?

Old 03-08-2017, 10:44 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,256,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyIsReady View Post
Sitting in the Union parking lot, everyone whose pulling in has a disgusting looking vehicle. Im not one to care much for appearances but are these people broke? Or are they applying to the Union today?
Seriously, that actually surprises you? These aren't white collar guys, amigo. Does a typical farmer show up driving a 3 series beamer? ROTFL

Don't judge people by their car either(!)

Old 03-08-2017, 10:47 AM

130,418 posts, read 12,118,417 times
vehicles get pretty banged up on construction sites, it makes sense to drive a (reliable) wreck.

Old 03-08-2017, 01:13 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,218,110 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

First of all, i am here to beg of some assistance. I need advice. I'm turning 26 next month. Live in NY!

I am very grateful to say that i am living Sober from drugs and alcohol for the last 13 months of my life. (i thought i was trapped)

current work
I'm currently working as a machine operator part time for 12 dollars an hour. clearing $220 a week, living with my elderly mother. It's been a year of awakening!

CDL-A School
I am in school for my CDL-A, but right now it's going nowhere. The DMV has taken a full month to let me know if i can drive with my eye issues.

Union membership offer
I was just offered a membership into the bricklayers union. But there's a catch. I would have to attend full time classes for 3 months. (unpaid) After that, I'd be an apprentice making $20 an hour to start. They also say I'll make a $1 raise every 5 months until i hit $30 an hour. Plus health, pension, and annuity... I have none of that right now!

It's back breaking labor, and i am a small Italian kid at just 5'4'' but i am familiar with labor and i know I'll adjust, and i look forward to the health! But is bricklaying a dying trade, or is it alive and well? Is 3 months free training worth losing my current job for union labor?

Alternatively, i can TRY to get a nighttime dock work position while going to school for CDL. I'm going to continue training for my commercial drivers license, either way, but this seems like a big opportunity to contemplate. A union offer is rare, isn't it?

And the starting pay is more than I've ever made haha. But is it worth the 3 months out of work, the diversion from commercial driving career path, the hard labor? I would like to support a family one day! Please help?

They want an answer this morning!
Quote:
I mean, considering that i live in New England, brick laying isn't going anywhere anytime soon i don't think? Or building style was and still is brick based. Restoration is also going to be around into the future.

I should consider myself lucky to have this opportunity, no? A chance at 60k a year with only a 3 month schooling investment doesn't come often.
OK You have answered your own question

Old 03-08-2017, 06:14 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Those are the beaters they take to work. The Beemers are home in the garage.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,554,786 times
I drive an old 4 cylinder ranger to work.

I watched a fellow electrician change clothes out of the trunk of his Chrysler 300 every day to keep the interior clean.

Long commutes, traffic, weather, and getting dirty at work make driving "nice" cars dumb for blue collar workers. The smart ones commute with durable beaters and keep the miles off their fun or luxury cars.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:16 PM

So, what's funny is today i got a letter in the mail stating I'm appealed, and i can pick up my permit at my convenience Hahaha.

Then i check my voice messages and a well known east coast trucking outfit (dedicated regional and LTL [limited load]delivery, which is what Over the Road drivers aspire to someday get) left a voicemail stating that they liked how human my resume cover letter was and they're willing to hire me if I've got my license by April or May. HAHA.

Like the past 5 days haven't been difficult enough?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment