Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2017, 09:07 AM

33 posts, read 62,146 times

Advertisements

How was it and how did you do?

In NY, you must pass a civil service exam with practically a score of 100 to be considered for a school office job. The pay is not great but the benefits and other perks are worth it if you can get in.

Does your state require this exam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 09:12 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,671,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkernomore View Post
In NY, you must pass a civil service exam with practically a score of 100 to be considered for a school office job.
Don't forget the points you get for being a disabled gay minority woman veteran...

Old 03-29-2017, 10:18 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,349,227 times
You still have to do the interview

Old 03-29-2017, 01:58 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,933,711 times
Quote:

In NY, you must pass a civil service exam with practically a score of 100 to be considered for a school office job. The pay is not great but the benefits and other perks are worth it if you can get in.

That's actually not all the way true. There are plenty of provisional jobs that NYC offers without any examination. Your required to take and pass a test for the title you are hired under.
But I have too also wondered does other cities have these same requirements for civil service workers?

Old 03-29-2017, 02:07 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,455,155 times
I don't know about NYC, but civil service exams are mostly for federal and law enforcement jobs, and some special districts. Most cities do not require them. Generally, they are used to reduce the number of applicants quickly to a manageable number. Smaller cities can do this simply by increasing the educational or experience requirements. I worked at a utility in CA that had written exams for nearly every non-managerial position. The passing score was determined by the number of candidates we wanted to interview. That could be a score of 80% or a score of 100%, depending on the ability of those applying for that job. For something like entry level customer service, or meter reader, we could have over 200 people take the exam, and only interview the top 25. The interviews resulted in a scored ranking, not considering written test score. In fact the people on the interview panel were never made aware of the test scores. For each opening, the top 3 got interviewed by the hiring manager, and after the selection, everyone else moved up one position in the list.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:10 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,313,779 times
It is a good idea to take the ones you are interested in and qualify for. Never hurts to get on the list.

Old 03-30-2017, 07:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,247,830 times
Quote:

You don't need a score of 100 to be eligible, but it will take longer to be appointed (i.e. hired) the lower your score is. Reason being, your rank on the eligibility list is determined by test score, and the state canvasses from the top of the list first; as the list dwindles, your rank on the list moves up. Also, getting a 100 doesn't mean you will get a job if your qualifications don't match; it just gives you first crack at job openings.

People drop off the list as time goes on (either they get hired by the state, or they remove themselves from the list because they got a job elsewhere), and the list is usually active for a few years, so it is a slow process the further down the lift you are.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,266,084 times
I took the Federal Employee Entrance Exam in 1967. This was for college-level candidates. It consisted of a math section and English section. Passing grade was 70.

It was found that certain demographic groups performed poorly, and so the govt. -- in effect -- dumbed down the test and renamed it. The acronym was PACE although I forgot the actual title. Anyway, certain demographic groups still failed the test in relatively high numbers.

Could stand corrected but I think that they eliminated all testing and assessed candidates by other means. I can tell you that many of those hired from circa the mid-late-80s until I retired in '97 could not compose a cogent paragraph.

Old 04-01-2017, 07:02 AM

336 posts, read 379,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
I took the Federal Employee Entrance Exam in 1967. This was for college-level candidates. It consisted of a math section and English section. Passing grade was 70.

{snip}

Could stand corrected but I think that they eliminated all testing and assessed candidates by other means. I can tell you that many of those hired from circa the mid-late-80s until I retired in '97 could not compose a cogent paragraph.
You are correct. The Federal civil service exam no longer exists. People no longer have to pass a test to become a Federal employee.

That said, Federal agencies still use tests/exams to help identify the best candidates for certain law enforcement, financial / regulatory, and counter intelligence positions. As one example, the Department of Justice uses exams to help identify the best candidates for FBI Special Agent positions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment