Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 08:17 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,190,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Good to know as a company I worked for, had interns
from the computer technical school . They had to do 90 days at NO cost to our company. They did customer networking, and all our company had to do was fill out a performance form. Most got hired after the 90 days, but the first 90 days were free for us to abuse them. and abuse them we did. Over 12,000$ in billable hours, all placed in our business pocket.
A lot of companies mistakenly believe that if the intern is getting course credit then they don't have to pay them. They have to pay them if they are doing productive work that the company is benefiting from. They don't have to pay them if the work is only for the benefit of the intern and not the company.

In your example, if the company is billing clients or setting up internal networks that are being used, then the company is benefiting and they are breaking the law. I had my own company and employed lots of interns- all paid and some also got college credit with the pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 08:57 AM

738 posts, read 585,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macrodome2 View Post
A lot of companies mistakenly believe that if the intern is getting course credit then they don't have to pay them. They have to pay them if they are doing productive work that the company is benefiting from. They don't have to pay them if the work is only for the benefit of the intern and not the company.

In your example, if the company is billing clients or setting up internal networks that are being used, then the company is benefiting and they are breaking the law. I had my own company and employed lots of interns- all paid and some also got college credit with the pay.

Good for you.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM

4,416 posts, read 9,141,500 times
The job process should be come on in. Fill out an application. If you want to start next week you can. That's it. Just like the old days. NO hr bimbos, online test, ect. It's all bull. If i owned a company i'd advertise in the paper, "come on in!'

Old 04-20-2017, 10:53 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
The job process should be come on in. Fill out an application. If you want to start next week you can. That's it. Just like the old days. NO hr bimbos, online test, ect. It's all bull. If i owned a company i'd advertise in the paper, "come on in!'
I agree.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:00 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Make interviewing about competence. Keep HR out of the process besides processing paperwork and ensuring legal compliance. Companies don't need to be having psychology major imbeciles asking skilled candidates about their favorite color, taking junk science psychometric tests, using whatever interviewing gimmicks come out of their lame profession etc.

I can't tell you how many times I went to an interview excited to talk about science and how I could add value only to have some bimbo ask me about a time I had a conflict with a coworker or what my ideal manager would be like [the pope?] and make we want to bang my head against the bench.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Make interviewing about competence. Keep HR out of the process besides processing paperwork and ensuring legal compliance. Companies don't need to be having psychology major imbeciles asking skilled candidates about their favorite color, taking junk science psychometric tests, using whatever interviewing gimmicks come out of their lame profession etc.

I can't tell you how many times I went to an interview excited to talk about science and how I could add value only to have some bimbo ask me about a time I had a conflict with a coworker or what my ideal manager would be like [the pope?] and make we want to bang my head against the bench.
Yes, or when you spend an hour doing the little text box application and then, surprise, wonderlic and personality test required for your application to be complete. The personality test asks questions with zero relevance to the position like how you feel when people are 2 minutes late. People just don't care in my field, yet there are 20 questions on that theme. Also if I have finished school and have my license, why do I need the wonderlic? Clearly my license is valid.

Make the application process more intuitive to get information relevant to the position. When you are applying to a gigiantic institution and every person has to do the same wonderlic/personality test regardless of position, it makes no sense.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post

I've never met a bright HR "professional."

Old 04-20-2017, 01:00 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,533,449 times
I work for a very good company now. The onboarding process was very swift. I'd applied seriously to a handful of openings that appeared to be a good match to my resume.

Three of them followed through with the interview process. One was an old school with interviews and tests out the kazoo. One was fairly swift but I did have to reach out for results.

The third was aggressive in the process. A couple emails with the HR - Talent Acquisitions person and they scheduled an interview for a couple days out. They sent three documents, the job description, a document with Key Competencies and finally, best of all a Guide to Behavioral Interviewing. Everything regarding the structure of the interview, questions to expect and questions to ask.

A couple days after the interview they scheduled a face to face. It was a three hour drive to get there but before I got back home I had an offer.

More companies like this could make the process easier for so many.

So in a nutshell, HR sent me all the info I needed to prepare and survive a successful interview. Turns out they're a good company to work for too. Go figure.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:40 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Hire the candidate most qualified for the position you are hiring for. Not the least qualified and friend of the family and potential beer/love buddy because at the end of the day, it makes you look inept as a hiring manager when the applicant doesn't pan out.

And make the interview process pertain to the JOB ITSELF. Not Psy-Op personality mind screw, "cultural fit" crap. I dont care how bubbly you are or good looking you are. If you're not qualified you aren't qualified.

Fire any hiring manager that can't make the right hiring decisions. Bad hires should NOT go unpunished. Its costly to a company. But isn't it funny, you have a revolving door of bad hires, but nothing ever happens to the hiring manager?? Why is it hiring managers are above repercussions?

Last edited by DorianRo; 04-20-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 04-20-2017, 04:28 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
I would stop personal reference checks. Privacy laws have taken away the value of doing those. Further, they take too much time and are highly subjective. On the flip side, I'd still conduct criminal, work history, education, etc. checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment