Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 02:58 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,018,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
But when the masses do it to Trump, people complain and just say "they're bitter losers". Trump won, get over it!
Accepting the will of the voters in a free republic society is
different than rebelling against unearned authority.
The only reason we don't have complete anarchy is because we have
a system to elect the people's choice in government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 03:16 PM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times
If you take a job, they are buying your labor to do specific things the person paying you wants done. They are not paying you to do what you want to do. If you have good ideas to improve those things, most want to hear it. But when the decision is made, it's made. If you don't want to do what you are paid to do, there are other jobs.

Even working for yourself, you are still paid by someone. If a customer pays you to change the oil, they are expecting to change the oil and check basic maintenance items. They aren't expecting you to repaint the car because you didn't like the color.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:32 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Both extremes you described are undesirable.

If I had a kid that would just kow-tow to whatever, I would worry about him (or her) being taken advantage of by a domineering boss, a shrew of a wife, etc...

Similarly, someone that bucks authority simply because its authority is a problem either. She (or He) is just as likely to have trouble keeping a job, staying in school, having a healthy relationship, whatever, because she'll get fired for taking a stand against a dress code or attendance policy or compromising with her boyfriend.

It is important to develop the critical thinking skills to consider, Is the boss issuing decisons/rules by fiat? Or does he have his reasons? If He is doing so because that's simply how he wants it, how/why does it affect me? I'll give you an example. My boss told a bunch of us that we needed to be clean shaven, or otherwise have groomed clean facial hair. Fine. I like my job too much, he was otherwise fine to work with, and it wasn't worth arguing about. Doing so would have done nothing for me, and having a four day beard didn't accomplish anything for me except saving a few pennies on shaving cream.

It is important to know when to speak up (or just leave) when you're being taken advantage of.

Its also important to know how to play a part in a team, and take orders and carry them out.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:45 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,449,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One of my former employers had a piece of software that I was basically the point person for at the time. I wasn't an expert in it, but I was the closest thing we had to an expert on staff. It was nearly fifteen years old then, hadn't been supported by the vendor in years, and had numerous, documented flaws both myself, other team members, and my manager had seen. My manager took it up the management chain. No upper management had any appetite to deal with it. We all knew that if the "big one" hit, the CEO would have heads rolling top to bottom.

We had more severe problems over the months and made more noise. At some point, we knew it was a matter of time, had voiced our concerns, and done all we could. Over the course of a few months, both my manager and myself moved on to other opportunities. We shook the tree when it was important and no one listened.

A few months ago, the "big one" hit and over a hundred clients were completely down for most of a week. The SLA penalties went into the millions, which will probably wipe out the entire division's profits for the year, as well as causing clients to not renew contracts when those come due. At least a half dozen people were fired, from the newbie a few weeks in who made the mistake, to my manager's manager, and that man's manager.

That was a big issue and deserved attention and no one cared.

At that same employer, we were in a Regus office for awhile and one of the staff noticed a van outside that had been parked in a prime parking spot for weeks and hadn't been towed off. He was adamant about notifying facility management to get it towed. It was irritating, but certainly not worth shaking the tree over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I'm currently self employed, working on my own fixing cars and doing other side jobs. It's great being my own boss!!!
How do you feel about the phrase, "The Customer is Always Right?"

Quote:
And you seem convinced that all authority is good and has your best interest at heart.
No, But I can often figure out in short order what interests said Authority has at heart.

For some, its simply climbing and accruing more power/prestige/authority, whatever. Generally a situation I don't care for and try to make my way out of.

For most, its simply to make money or otherwise perform within the parameters set for them. Doing the job as quickly and as profitably as possible, selling the most widgets at the highest price, etc...

Others have a more holistic view, and want to make money and develop and support their staff, etc...This is pretty rare but great if you find yourself in that position.

Still others want to be liked and accepted. This is rare, and isn't necesarily bad as someone who works for them, but not the best thing either.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:47 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,120,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Both extremes you described are undesirable.

If I had a kid that would just kow-tow to whatever, I would worry about him (or her) being taken advantage of by a domineering boss, a shrew of a wife, etc...

Similarly, someone that bucks authority simply because its authority is a problem either. She (or He) is just as likely to have trouble keeping a job, staying in school, having a healthy relationship, whatever, because she'll get fired for taking a stand against a dress code or attendance policy or compromising with her boyfriend.

It is important to develop the critical thinking skills to consider, Is the boss issuing decisons/rules by fiat? Or does he have his reasons? If He is doing so because that's simply how he wants it, how/why does it affect me? I'll give you an example. My boss told a bunch of us that we needed to be clean shaven, or otherwise have groomed clean facial hair. Fine. I like my job too much, he was otherwise fine to work with, and it wasn't worth arguing about. Doing so would have done nothing for me, and having a four day beard didn't accomplish anything for me except saving a few pennies on shaving cream.

It is important to know when to speak up (or just leave) when you're being taken advantage of.

Its also important to know how to play a part in a team, and take orders and carry them out.
How did he deal with the inbetween times of starting a beard. There is not much too groom until like a month in when you can actually trim the beard etc. I am at a point where I can now trim and groom my beard but it does not start that way.

Sounds like it would be time to look for a new job unless he was going to keep increasing pay and/or job flexability to make up for treating people like property.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:56 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,876,042 times
Quote:
I'm currently self employed...
That's usually called "self-unemployed."

Old 06-21-2017, 04:08 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
I'm currently self employed, working on my own fixing cars and doing other side jobs. It's great being my own boss!!!
If you don't have a boss and you're happy, what are we discussing here? This is your second thread about this same topic. People have made their choices. What are you fighting?

Old 06-21-2017, 06:07 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,655,273 times
Quote:
I don't understand the joke. Are you saying that anyone who fights authority needs medication, or those that don't fight authority do so because they are on medication?

Ignore them. The usual thread-bashers.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's usually called "self-unemployed."
Yup, because if you don't work for somebody else you don't have a real job, right?

Old 06-21-2017, 07:05 PM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
If you don't have a boss and you're happy, what are we discussing here? This is your second thread about this same topic. People have made their choices. What are you fighting?
I'm fighting against people with blind respect and admiration for authority, people who think that all authority is inherently benevolent and justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment