Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:49 AM

1,166 posts, read 877,456 times

Advertisements

What do you think the main difference is between a person who always bows to authority and a person who is always fighting against whatever authority is in place? Is it just part of their personality? Or is something else at play here?

I'm obviously of the later camp. I feel that no authority is benevolent or unchanging, it is merely the ability to force others into compliance. Therefore I feel it needs to be under constant scrutiny and always have its powers questions so that the power can't get out of control. And when an authority figure becomes a tyrant, that authority needs to be removed ASAP. The authority figure is just a figurehead, and is subject to the will of the people he "controls", without their consent, they have no power, and they need to be constantly aware of it. I would rather have an authority figure constantly in fear of making decisions out of fear of what the people will do than an unquestioned despot who can do whatever they want.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 11:04 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,885,498 times
Heck Jimmy, I would disagree but I don't want to constantly live in fear for making that decision.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:13 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
What do you think the main difference is between a person who always bows to authority and a person who is always fighting against whatever authority is in place?
It isn't as simple. Some think they are fighting authority, but are unwitting pawns of another authority. People perceive themselves generally as rational and independent in much of the U.S.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
What do I think?

I think OP needs to focus more on bettering himself first before becoming a social justice hero fighting back against the man.

It's no coincidence those that have a hard time finding a good job due to their own faults, are the ones loudest to complain about the evil, overbearing manager/executives.

Is Having A Bad Job Worse Than Having No Job?

Don't Complain About Things You Can't Change?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:27 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,766,814 times
IMO neither extremes are good options. There are times when authority should be questioned and there are times when it shouldn't be. To have a knee jerk reaction to either is not rational.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
IMO neither extremes are good options. There are times when authority should be questioned and there are times when it shouldn't be. To have a knee jerk reaction to either is not rational.

Could you give me some examples of when you think it should be questioned vs shouldn't be? What instances justify either position in your eyes?

Old 06-20-2017, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What do I think?

I think OP needs to focus more on bettering himself first before becoming a social justice hero fighting back against the man.

It's no coincidence those that have a hard time finding a good job due to their own faults, are the ones loudest to complain about the evil, overbearing manager/executives.

Is Having A Bad Job Worse Than Having No Job?

Don't Complain About Things You Can't Change?

This is not about me. This is a discussion about the bigger picture, about why some people always bow to authority and see all authority as justified, those who don't see any authority as justifed, and those with feelings somewhere in the middle. This is not a finger pointing contest about how "it's all your fault OP because you're a bad person and everyone else is great".

As lots of people will say "The world doesn't revolve around you or me" and neither does this thread. It's about a concept bigger than you or me that I find very interesting and would like other's points of view.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
Heck Jimmy, I would disagree but I don't want to constantly live in fear for making that decision.
So you would rather have unrestricted, absolute authority that answers to no one than a system of checks and balances where that authority figure is held accountable to the people they "control"? I've said it before and I'll say it again, the person in power deserves much more scrutiny than the people below them, because that authority figure is in a much better position to screw lots of people over and get away with it. The people on top should fear those below them, not the other way around. They need to know they are accountable to the people, and not just themselves and their own desires.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
It isn't as simple. Some think they are fighting authority, but are unwitting pawns of another authority. People perceive themselves generally as rational and independent in much of the U.S.

Could you cite an example of this? I kinda see your point, but not exactly. For example, if you are fitting to remove one political candidate from office, are you automatically a pawn of the person running against them? I don't agree with the "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" way of thinking.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,991,770 times
Authority should be questioned if power is in the hands of complete idiots who have no clue what the hell they are doing

If not, get ready for mass layoffs or complete company closings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment