Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM

43 posts, read 35,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
You're overthinking it. She probably was just too busy to respond. I wouldn't let it bother you. If it bothers her, that's her problem.

SS
Well I was fired so..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:07 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,261,224 times
Do/did you fully understand the company’s attendance policy prior to taking the time off? We’re you told the EXACT policy you violated and how your time off was construed as a violation? I believe you, but there is something about this that doesn’t add up.

When I was a manager I had a very clearly detailed attendance policy that everyone had to read and sign off on that they understood it. From what you described, a single event would not normally be considered a fireable offense unless there were extenuating circumstances.

At any rate, I wish you the best in finding a new position.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Do/did you fully understand the company’s attendance policy prior to taking the time off? We’re you told the EXACT policy you violated and how your time off was construed as a violation? I believe you, but there is something about this that doesn’t add up.

When I was a manager I had a very clearly detailed attendance policy that everyone had to read and sign off on that they understood it. From what you described, a single event would not normally be considered a fireable offense unless there were extenuating circumstances.

At any rate, I wish you the best in finding a new position.
I was not told anything. I was not told why I was being fired. I have been there a little under one year. I was never given a warning or clue or an issue. I had a feeling my manager was not a fan of mine by the way she spoke to me and it seems she just wanted an excuse to get rid of me.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:10 PM

80 posts, read 47,134 times
Or maybe she realized that you are not a fit for this company. Aren't you a work to live person and not a live to work person per your other thread? You do your work until quitting time and then you leave. You are unwilling to come in early or stay late. You said that you were getting looks from your co workers and/or managers when you leave- were they just envious or exasperated with your insistence on leaving promptly at the end of the day, no matter what?

I don't know what field you are in but it may come across that you are inflexible and in this particular job, this may not have been an asset. I don't think that you were fired for abusing the sick leave policy but for other reasons.

Old 10-17-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybelle View Post
Or maybe she realized that you are not a fit for this company. Aren't you a work to live person and not a live to work person per your other thread? You do your work until quitting time and then you leave. You are unwilling to come in early or stay late. You said that you were getting looks from your co workers and/or managers when you leave- were they just envious or exasperated with your insistence on leaving promptly at the end of the day, no matter what?

I don't know what field you are in but it may come across that you are inflexible and in this particular job, this may not have been an asset. I don't think that you were fired for abusing the sick leave policy but for other reasons.
Yes it's possible I wasn't a cultural fit. If I'm not advised to stay late or come in early I'm not staying late to stay late. If I'm finished with my work at end of day I leave. My colleagues do very different jobs than I do so it wasn't a case of we all do the same work and I'm the only one that leaves at 5:30.

Last edited by NotTheGirlNextDoor.; 10-17-2017 at 06:43 PM..

Old 10-17-2017, 08:36 PM

461 posts, read 509,527 times
What a bummer! Hopefully you can get unemployment. Good luck on job search.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becki in Tx. View Post
What a bummer! Hopefully you can get unemployment. Good luck on job search.
Thank You 😊

Old 10-17-2017, 09:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,754,968 times
Wow so sorry! I hope you find a job you like better!

Old 10-18-2017, 12:43 AM

13,276 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Sounds like they did you a favor find a job where they treat you with respect my employer has no problem with calling out sick as long as you don't make it a pattern. We have a problem with employees who come to work sick and get everyone else sick I think employers should require sick people to stay home.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,280,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
You're arguing with me right now.

So let's take this one post:
  • Sentence one is a run-on sentence. It is also subjective and contains no evidence. It's not factual.
  • Sentence two doesn't make sense. However, if we apply the principle of charity and grant you that you argued back about attendance and hangovers, you ignored the fact that this is about perception and not about reality. It's a very limited set of facts ignoring other very important facts.
  • Sentence three followed by an answer in sentence four is snarky. Again, perception is reality. And also, there are no facts in that rhetorical question. "Uh no" is not a "fact".
  • Sentence four is simultaneously a brag and a whine. It leads the reader to question the factual nature of the claim, kind of like when people say "Oh I'm so smart, you wouldn't get it."
You seem to think you come off as professional, well-spoken, competent and willing to work. Listen to what people are telling you. You're wrong. That's not how you are coming across in writing.

Even if your work mail is 90% better than this, it's still not good enough for an office environment.

LOL wow.

You are taking this way too seriously, and I do not see the OP in this way at all.

Some of you have strange thought processes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment