Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:24 AM

43 posts, read 35,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neerwhal View Post
Sorry to hear that you've lost your job.

You're right that in many entry-level positions, calling in sick is considered unacceptable, as are dentists' appointments. That's life. It might not be right but that's reality in the US.

I think what you may be missing in this thread is that you're coming off as argumentative and demanding, and you likely come across like that at work. You've pushed back on everyone and made accusations and assumptions.

You had a bad feeling about your boss's message. You were right.

Gee, that sounds nice, but I live in an at-will state. They can withdraw employment for no reason at all unless you are a member of a protected class and you can prove discrimination. They can just say "no, we did not wish to work with this person any more."
No I have not been argumentative I have been factual. There have been a few people that have made assumptions that I called out because I had a hangover or that I have an attendance problem. You think I'm just going to agree? Uh no. And I was very professional at work and often got walked on and I never said anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 10:37 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheGirlNextDoor. View Post
Thanks for the advice. But it doesn't really matter because they fired me for it.
You weren't fired for being out sick one day. There's much more to this story!

Last edited by ss20ts; 10-17-2017 at 11:28 AM..

Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
Quote:
No I have not been argumentative I have been factual. There have been a few people that have made assumptions that I called out because I had a hangover or that I have an attendance problem. You think I'm just going to agree? Uh no. And I was very professional at work and often got walked on and I never said anything.
You're arguing with me right now.

So let's take this one post:
  • Sentence one is a run-on sentence. It is also subjective and contains no evidence. It's not factual.
  • Sentence two doesn't make sense. However, if we apply the principle of charity and grant you that you argued back about attendance and hangovers, you ignored the fact that this is about perception and not about reality. It's a very limited set of facts ignoring other very important facts.
  • Sentence three followed by an answer in sentence four is snarky. Again, perception is reality. And also, there are no facts in that rhetorical question. "Uh no" is not a "fact".
  • Sentence four is simultaneously a brag and a whine. It leads the reader to question the factual nature of the claim, kind of like when people say "Oh I'm so smart, you wouldn't get it."
You seem to think you come off as professional, well-spoken, competent and willing to work. Listen to what people are telling you. You're wrong. That's not how you are coming across in writing.

Even if your work mail is 90% better than this, it's still not good enough for an office environment.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
You weren't fired for being out sock one day. There's much more to this story!
I was never told of anything else. I just don't think my manager liked me. Not sure why..

Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
You're arguing with me right now.

So let's take this one post:
  • Sentence one is a run-on sentence. It is also subjective and contains no evidence. It's not factual.
  • Sentence two doesn't make sense. However, if we apply the principle of charity and grant you that you argued back about attendance and hangovers, you ignored the fact that this is about perception and not about reality. It's a very limited set of facts ignoring other very important facts.
  • Sentence three followed by an answer in sentence four is snarky. Again, perception is reality. And also, there are no facts in that rhetorical question. "Uh no" is not a "fact".
  • Sentence four is simultaneously a brag and a whine. It leads the reader to question the factual nature of the claim, kind of like when people say "Oh I'm so smart, you wouldn't get it."
You seem to think you come off as professional, well-spoken, competent and willing to work. Listen to what people are telling you. You're wrong. That's not how you are coming across in writing.

Even if your work mail is 90% better than this, it's still not good enough for an office environment.
Ok this forum is not work but
thanks you for that input. Have a good day!

Old 10-17-2017, 11:21 AM

35,087 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Sometimes I've come in after taking a day off, expecting something to take most of the day and it didn't. However, that's different than calling in presumably sick then coming in.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 AM

638 posts, read 529,974 times
Quote:
Ok this forum is not work but
thanks you for that input. Have a good day!
I will have a good day, thank you.

Also, you wonder why your manager didn't "like" you. Managers don't need to "like" people. They invest in human resources to develop a profitable unit. Again, you have not come across as a sympathetic character in this thread, and even if you spend more time typing and spell-checking at work, the attitude is still going to be there.

I have been fired before and it was awful, but I deserved it and I didn't blame my manager on not liking me. She wasn't a sympathetic character either, but I looked at what I did wrong and I got into a line of work that was better for me (still entry level but less customer-facing stuff).

You would do well to really think through why your manager and people on this thread are not empathizing with you and figure out either how to change, or how to put your talents to better use.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:29 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
I was never told of anything else. I just don't think my manager liked me. Not sure why..
Not buying it, but whatever. Time to go polish up that resume and get a new job.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I will have a good day, thank you.

Also, you wonder why your manager didn't "like" you. Managers don't need to "like" people. They invest in human resources to develop a profitable unit. Again, you have not come across as a sympathetic character in this thread, and even if you spend more time typing and spell-checking at work, the attitude is still going to be there.

I have been fired before and it was awful, but I deserved it and I didn't blame my manager on not liking me. She wasn't a sympathetic character either, but I looked at what I did wrong and I got into a line of work that was better for me (still entry level but less customer-facing stuff).

You would do well to really think through why your manager and people on this thread are not empathizing with you and figure out either how to change, or how to put your talents to better use.
Ok

Old 10-17-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Not buying it, but whatever. Time to go polish up that resume and get a new job.
That is fine. Thanks for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment