Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:51 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,517,132 times

Advertisements

I've had food poisoning twice.

Your body needs the time to rest even if you think you are feeling better. I'll stay away from the gross effects but look what your body went thorough.

Go back to work the next day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM

43 posts, read 35,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
I've had food poisoning twice.

Your body needs the time to rest even if you think you are feeling better. I'll stay away from the gross effects but look what your body went thorough.

Go back to work the next day.
Thanks for the advice. But it doesn't really matter because they fired me for it.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,707 times
If you had food poisoning severe enough to cause dehydration issues after one day, what makes you think that you would be all better after re hydrating the next morning? Stay home and recuperate. You could have had another bout of illness. What your body needed was rest so staying home was a good idea.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,524,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheGirlNextDoor. View Post
Thanks for the advice. But it doesn't really matter because they fired me for it.
Right.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
If you had food poisoning severe enough to cause dehydration issues after one day, what makes you think that you would be all better after re hydrating the next morning? Stay home and recuperate. You could have had another bout of illness. What your body needed was rest so staying home was a good idea.
Because I had a passive aggressive boss that uses fear and intimidation tactics to keep people in line.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Right.
I was fired 30 minutes ago! That's why I wanted to return yesterday! I knew this would happen.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Mountain out of a molehill huh? I was canned this morning. Yes there are companies out there that will fire you for being ill. Yes there are companies out there that expect you to be a robot. Yes there are managers out there that have little empathy for others. I was working a clerical job so people like me are a dime a dozen to some companies.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:07 AM

638 posts, read 529,324 times
Quote:
Mountain out of a molehill huh? I was canned this morning. Yes there are companies out there that will fire you for being ill. Yes there are companies out there that expect you to be a robot. Yes there are managers out there that have little empathy for others. I was working a clerical job so people like me are a dime a dozen to some companies.
Sorry to hear that you've lost your job.

You're right that in many entry-level positions, calling in sick is considered unacceptable, as are dentists' appointments. That's life. It might not be right but that's reality in the US.

I think what you may be missing in this thread is that you're coming off as argumentative and demanding, and you likely come across like that at work. You've pushed back on everyone and made accusations and assumptions.

You had a bad feeling about your boss's message. You were right.

Quote:
Third, I am pretty sure you can't be fired for taking a sick day; your employer would run a big risk in doing so.
Gee, that sounds nice, but I live in an at-will state. They can withdraw employment for no reason at all unless you are a member of a protected class and you can prove discrimination. They can just say "no, we did not wish to work with this person any more."

Old 10-17-2017, 10:11 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,640 times
Do some employers really require a doctor's note for just one sick day off, before you even get back to work? I thought the norm was after the third in a row, or if they suspect you've been abusing your sick time.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:23 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,450,841 times
Quote:
I typed it before I saw your comment that you were let go. I deleted it! I'm SORRY!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment