Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 03:08 PM

51,113 posts, read 36,813,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Especially if these jobs are in areas where there is no rental stock or the rental stock is far beyond what they can afford. Do you really think the subway workers in Aspen Colorado are paying 8,000 a month in rent to live in the same town as billionares .....

Or resorts that are not close to anything
This is what happened in my city, in fact the whole Jersey shore area. Kids can no longer afford summer apartments because they all rent for several thousand a week in the summer. So they bring in Eastern European and other kids who don't mind staying in shabby rooming houses crammed with other workers. One of the big amusement piers in Wildwood starting buying their own boarding houses for summer workers. One year I heard they actually went to Taiwan and brought back workers through an agency there. Before they started doing this, they were begging for workers and not getting them. One of the largest stores on our boardwalk here had a sign on their marquee several years ago that they were starting summer workers at over $9.00 an hour and they still had a hard time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 03:21 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,139,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
And now our Congress is going to give them a big tax break. A third political party is desperately needed to fight the proactive corporate Republican party and the lay down and die Democrats. We truly need a party like Western Europe's Social Democrats. With the Social Democrats Europeans have a minimum of 20 days of vacation by law, sick benefits by law, maternity benefits by law, and other perks.

What are we doing wrong? In what is left of our Democracy why don't we see the light.
people keep voting against their own best interests and allow people like bobnj to rule the roost. If your not a PhD rocket scientist nobeloriate MBA MD then F you get a mcjob because your skills are weak and your a worthless human being. Oh you were not the one guy that got an internship that 300 people were interviewing for then F you, have fun with your post graduate student loan debt and being unemployed for a couple of years.

I hope that the increasing ruthlessness of our society and the likes of bobnj cause people to wake up. Either bobnj is oblivious to how truly ruthless the competition for good jobs has got, he is intellectually dishonest with himself so he can sleep at night or he is evil, there is no other alternative.

I agree not everyone should get a trophy for being mediocre but the problem is that bar keeps getting higher and higher. What was once "Olympic level" super star is now ... well maybe you get a second interview. When the only people getting real jobs are the Derek jeeters of the work world that's a very serious problem. I mean how soon before we are starting up death camps to create a "super race" of only the top tier performers? I mean where does it end?

Old 11-22-2017, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is what happened in my city, in fact the whole Jersey shore area. Kids can no longer afford summer apartments because they all rent for several thousand a week in the summer. So they bring in Eastern European and other kids who don't mind staying in shabby rooming houses crammed with other workers. One of the big amusement piers in Wildwood starting buying their own boarding houses for summer workers. One year I heard they actually went to Taiwan and brought back workers through an agency there. Before they started doing this, they were begging for workers and not getting them. One of the largest stores on our boardwalk here had a sign on their marquee several years ago that they were starting summer workers at over $9.00 an hour and they still had a hard time.
Yep, that's why there is a massive political fight right now between business owners and everyone else, because everyone else wants to shut down these immigrant labor visas and tariff the crap out of foreign nations. This will be catastrophic for the wealthy elites, they wont be able to pass the added costs down and shareholders will take a massive hit and might have to stop laying around on the beach and go to work. The wealthy like the masses to compete for their meager jobs, they absolutely don't want to have to compete for workers, they want competition to only go one way, they inherited the business and they want to make sure they stay on the right side of the barriers to entry at all costs.

The buisenss class will use scare tactics that a trade war will be bad for America, not sure how it can get any worse than $9/hr, when in reality it will be brutal for buisnesses. They threaten to leave the USA but how many do you really think want to leave their comfy homes in the USA to move to China lol. Especially if we start applying a massive tax to every dollar that moves across our boarder to finance their life styles in their gated communities coming from sweat shops over seas.

Old 11-22-2017, 04:47 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,594,279 times
I can see this too. Not only are employers greedy by bringing in illegals and/or H1Bs and having them either live off the public dole and/or 10 to an apartment and replacing us, but they then offer things like Universal Basis Income as a "solution" to the problems that they helped create: Mark Zuckerberg doubles down on universal basic income - Business Insider

Worse, they plan to use the Common Core, fed ed, Workforce readiness, to turn our kids into drones who can meet the needs of their workforce. What they really intend to do with this is turn kids into cheap labor, as they can make sure that there is always a surplus and that shortages don't last long, not to mention limiting free will in the job seeking process.

As it goes up into higher education and includes the workforce too (the Department of Labor is part of this too. In fact, there are 13 different federal departments in on it.) Also, the problems doesn't seem to matter whether education stays with public schools or switches to charters and privatized. Both the businessmen and most of the unions are part of this machine. Also, because the masterminds know this, they paint "school choice" as another solution. Also, in an attempt to trap in parochial and home schoolers, they are aligning the college entrance, etc tests to this education/workforce machine too, as well as all the textbooks. Everything from Competency based education, College and Career Ready, Personalized Learning, etc, are part of it. What they mean by "personalized learning" is that they can have computer generated tests that will data mine kids and direct their emotions (yes, look up something called Social Emotional Learning, which is tied to groups like CASEL, which is part of the Every Student Succeeds Act legislation.) via tests that vary by student and hence no parent or even, for the most part, no teacher would know what was on them.

As for the teachers, the corporatists (Right) and Communists (Left) want them gone. Already, they are making them train their replacements, much like Silicon Valley did to American tech workers. And, like the tech workers, Silicon Valley is behind it. Education software companies, testing companies, and Silicon Valley guys pushing "digital badges", and the personalized learning stuff are planning to have the software do most of the "teaching" and perhaps only have a few teachers left as "education facilitators".

And they are gagging teachers too by threatening to fire them if they speak out against Common Core (much like tech companies were gagging tech workers to keep them silent of being canned to replace H1Bs.)

And I know about the personality tests, all these ridiculous skill sets, etc that employers demand and that they can't seem to get. I've heard how companies are also going to contracting and temp and staffing agencies to avoid paying benefits. I've also heard how HR is becoming increasingly distanced from how the job is done and hence hires in such a way that makes the hiring system very broken.

And, of course, while they are pushing STEM (something Zuckerberg, Gates, and, indeed, the United Nations) are behind, I found that they originally intended to fund the American STEM education with the visa fees from that huge increase in H1B visas in that Gang of Eight bill that, thank God, someone in Congress was brave enough to kill!

And the colleges are behind this too. They get subsidized loan money from the students and they keep it, whether the students can ever pay it off or not. And the colleges are pushing for more illegals, more OPT students, and even refugees to increase enrollment and get more money and also get cheap labor (loads of colleges are hiring H1Bs as staff.) And the colleges are also pushing for the Common Core too.

Of course, the Establishment would fear that we'd eventually find out that they are using us and that we'd unite to bring them down, which is why they are trying their best to distract us with other issues like transgender bathrooms, sexual assault, Russia and their supposed hacking of the US elections, gun control, etc.

While the Roy Moore "scandal" was being run over and over on the "news", Congress was sneakily pushing a bill to have a centralized national database on college students, etc, and snuck it through the House with a "voice vote". Now it's in the Senate.

Also, the unions have been betraying their members too, not just in "education", but with agricultural, etc, workers too. Loads of union run or union funded groups are helping illegals avoid deportation and giving them resources to work the system. The union fat cats hope to get lots more dues paying members once all these illegals they are "helping" get legalization. They don't give a rat's anus about the Americans in their ranks that are dues paying members who are suffering having to deal with $10/hr construction jobs, etc, because of open borders driving wages through the floor.

Interestingly, when people try and oppose these things, whether they be "education" or the workforce, they get labeled as "racist" , anti-minority, anti-progress, etc, if they dare criticize open borders, all this technology in the classroom and the abuse of children, etc.

Oh yes, I see what's going on all right, in part because I didn't let myself get distracted with silly memes, fake news, and the boob tube.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 PM

34,155 posts, read 17,225,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Internships are hell to get, I was never able to get an internship and I went to a top tier school. Getting an internship was about as ruthless and cut throat as it gets. I would rather be in a shooting war than going through that again.
We have several, all the time. We turn down very few. They are getting great experience. Nice young kids, great attitudes.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:08 PM

736 posts, read 354,984 times
Here is an article from Forbes that address the tightening labor markets.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billcon.../#2e9c89026a82

Another report about the labor markets from NBC and Goldman Sachs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/gold...overshoot.html

There are lot of smug people posting in this thread, but the data indicates that there will be a tightening of the labor markets in the next 10 years. Unlike previous decades, this time the labor markets will be tightening all over the world with the exception of a few countries. This is due to a lower birth rate and aging workforce.

In my opinion, employees will get what is coming to them in the next couple years. It's simple mathematics and data, there aren't enough younger people to replace the older workers. The Baby boomers average age is 60 and most will retire within the next couple years. The second largest generation after the Baby Boomers are are the millennials. All subsequent generation after Millennials are much smaller. That is why the army is starting to have recruiting problems. All branches are having problems especially the highly skilled professions in the army like Pilots. There are recruiting problems for police officers. I can go on and on about various industries. The point is this isn't going to get better for employees. The Goldman Sachs report even indicates the unemployment dipping under 4.0 to 3.8. Many retails at moment can't recruit effectively for seasonal positions. As a result, the retail stores have opted to give overtime instead of trying to hire seasonal workers for this holiday.

These labor problems are the beginning. The housing bubble delayed the retirement of the Baby Boomers, which is why we are just starting to see the effects of the Baby Boomers retiring. Couple the Baby Boomers with lower birth rates, shrinking and aging workforce, and less immigration, then you have a swing in favor for employees instead of employers. Every major economy is starting to experience a similar problem with their workforce. A few countries like Japan and Korea already have a serious problems with labor, unemployment in Japan is like 2.8 with a super low birth rate.

The United States will not get the same number of migrants like it did in the past, especially from Mexico. Mexico has a much lower birth rate than what it had a few decades ago. There will be less incentive to move north when there are plenty of jobs in Mexico. There birth rate I think is below 2.0 at moment.

Here are several reports on Mexico and reverse migration.

Growth of U.S. Latino population slows, study finds, due to falling immigration, birth rates | Fox News

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4252712/

Most of the people posting in this thread are making generalizations that isn't supported by the data. While your company may not be affect at moment, there will be a ripple effect due to the tightening labor markets that will affect all companies directly or indirectly. Not only that, but political policies like free trade and massive immigration has become a political problem for all major parties in every major economy. This week Germany could not form a government over disagreement about immigration and power plants. The Brexit and Trump are not isolated events, but appear to be a global back lash against immigration. Proponents of immigration will not have free reign like they did in late 90's and early 2000's, at least not without a political price to pay.

There are many reports about the global economy that mirror the problems faced by the United States, Britain, Germany, ect. Personally, I don't think employees will retain their strong position in the future if the data and forecast are correct.

Last edited by NekoLogic; 11-22-2017 at 10:18 PM..

Old 11-22-2017, 11:12 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,943,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I agree, you can make more chopping veggies at Panda Express here than working as a caregiver.
I'm not sure of that, my mother's caregiver made $30K+ and she died 13 years ago. A neighbor is budgeting $100K for 24 hour home care.

Old 11-23-2017, 12:00 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,941,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

For the kid from eastern Europe, the opportunity to come live/work in the US especially a nice place like the Jersey shore is a chance of a lifetime. They will show up, work hard, and not complain.

The American kid is just going to call off, no show, come in drunk or high, complain about not being "paid enough" and so on.

Reality is, tourism based service industry is very low profit and you can only afford to pay so much. The American kid won't get out of bed for $9 an hour, so you have to find someone who will.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
We have several, all the time. We turn down very few. They are getting great experience. Nice young kids, great attitudes.
That was absolutly not my experience, I interviewed with shell, conoco (before the merger with phillips), micron and some others. This was 15 years ago or so, maybe things have changed but back then getting boneified internships doing work in your field was ruthless cut throat competition.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
For the kid from eastern Europe, the opportunity to come live/work in the US especially a nice place like the Jersey shore is a chance of a lifetime. They will show up, work hard, and not complain.

The American kid is just going to call off, no show, come in drunk or high, complain about not being "paid enough" and so on.

Reality is, tourism based service industry is very low profit and you can only afford to pay so much. The American kid won't get out of bed for $9 an hour, so you have to find someone who will.
Sometimes places just need to go out of buisenss, not import slave labor, that is how Rome fell apart. As the other poster stated its not the wages of those jobs but the COL of the area coupled with the little slum lord hovels they cram a bunch of people into because the normal appartments are unaffordable. These people from thousands of miles away get the dressed up pictures and dont get to see that they will be crammed in a tiny living space with no privacy.

THAT is the issue, that and the company litterally holds your visa which is a major issue, what happens when it dawns on you that yea this is a nice area but your specific living conditions are crap?

Nope, we need to shut this down and buisnesses need to start suffering the consequences and feeling the pain of allowing certian areas to get completely out of hand as far as COL. These things can only happen when you vote for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment