Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 07:25 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You can hire them to work for free if you think you can get away with it. But consider again what your business has obligations to. You have obligations to the shareholders, to the employees, to the community you live in and to the customers.

I think a lot of people are confused by what a business is. If it's your business and you are going to work at it the rest of your life, then you're working to build the business up and make it successful. In fact, it's as much about the business as it is about making money. People who start a business only to make money aren't going to, because in order to make money in a business, you have to be accountable to the whole picture, not just the money aspect of it.

But that's just my opinion. If it's your business, you do what you want.
Your idealism shows. Anyone can start a business without obligations to anyone. Do you really think every business has shareholders? Have you ever heard of businesses starting in someone's garage, spare bedroom, or basement? Many businesses start with no source of income until they make their first sale or provide their first services. Think about any new service company such as a law firm, architect, or a business such as a contractor. They first need to establish a base of satisfied customers to use as references before they have any income.

Again your statements about what a business is shows your idealism or naivety.

Quote:
People who start a business only to make money aren't going to, because in order to make money in a business, you have to be accountable to the whole picture, not just the money aspect of it.
Are you really serious about this statement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 07:35 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
As an entrepreneur/small business owner, I sometimes need to hire help. When I do, I absolutely don't hire the cheapest person I can find. That would be a complete disaster! Instead, I pay a fair wage to someone who I know will be able to get the job done well and on time. I've dealt with people who would do the job for a third of what I was offering, and they were unreliable. Lesson learned.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:36 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Your idealism shows. Anyone can start a business without obligations to anyone. Do you really think every business has shareholders? Have you ever heard of businesses starting in someone's garage, spare bedroom, or basement? Many businesses start with no source of income until they make their first sale or provide their first services. Think about any new service company such as a law firm, architect, or a business such as a contractor. They first need to establish a base of satisfied customers to use as references before they have any income.
There are about 30 million businesses in the US but only about 20,000 have more than 500 employees. A vast majority do not have shareholders. A vast majority are small ones like you describe. Yet when cutting corporate tax rates is discussed the left slams it for only benefiting the rich which is totally untrue.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,020,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
There are about 30 million businesses in the US but only about 20,000 have more than 500 employees. A vast majority do not have shareholders. A vast majority are small ones like you describe. Yet when cutting corporate tax rates is discussed the left slams it for only benefiting the rich which is totally untrue.
Because corporate taxes don't need to be cut.

Small business America though, can use some help. They're the backbone of the country, not corporate America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Far fewer. A NYC target staffs at peak times with 3 or 4 live cashiers, plus 14 self checkouts run with 2 people.

Staff of 6 handles what are probably several hundred transactions per hour.

There were 20 registers put in place at the start.
We all know those are just for looks.

Even before the self checkouts, having 3/4+ of the registers closed was normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
Minimum wages earners are not suppose to make ends meet. minimum wages is for part time high school kids.

time to learn a trade
My first job paid $13.25 (office) to start.

Second paid $14.00 (landscaping). Wasn't at college yet.

In college I got offered a job at $7.50 (retail). I passed. Wasn't worth getting out of bed.

I got offered another at $9.50 (office). Same as above.

I went self employed. Bill out $50-$100/hr for my time. Bill out $50-$100/hr per person that works for me.

I don't even have to get out of bed during the week, can still make a four figure income for the week.

I start people at $15/hr.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:25 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,861,761 times
Quote:
Yes, this is a common misconception. Its private family wealth that is what they are after but since they are stupid (being leftists precedes that) they blame evil public corporations which brought their prosperity to all of us.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:49 AM

797 posts, read 3,581,226 times
That statement, quite possibly, might be the saddest thing I have ever read on these message boards
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I'm worth what my paycheck says I'm worth. Simple as that.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:57 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,670,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
As an entrepreneur/small business owner, I sometimes need to hire help. When I do, I absolutely don't hire the cheapest person I can find. That would be a complete disaster! Instead, I pay a fair wage to someone who I know will be able to get the job done well and on time. I've dealt with people who would do the job for a third of what I was offering, and they were unreliable. Lesson learned.
Of course, this is only common sense. It is easy to see in a small business. It is not as easy to see in large organizations with human resource departments.

Your last statement is contradictory; they couldn't do the job for a third of what you were offering if they were unreliable.

Quote:
You need to be able to distinguish between corporations, partnerships, and sole proprietorships. Only corporations have shareholders.

Cutting corporate taxes on large profitable corporations will have little effect since many pay minimal if any corporate taxes.

For example, check out Apple. Take a look at how much cash they have, how much they invest in research and development, and where their cash is invested. Companies such as Apple have moved more into investment banking rather than their original core business.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:04 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,075 times
Cost of living would be the biggest factor for why some want the increase. In places like NYC or LA, it probably makes more sense. In places like Branson, MO, probably not so much because it’s much cheaper to live there compared to other large cities. That’s where a federally-mandated hike in the minimum wage can have some serious fallout. It could potentially have some dire consequences for small-town firms.

To ask how much you’re worth is completely arbitrary. All you’re going to get is around the statistical average or median salary for a particular type of job or experience or set of skills. That’s more to do with what most companies are willing to pay for the position than it does how somehow feels about their monetary worth.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:17 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,488,281 times
Why do people think they are worth $50, $75, $100, $200, or $300 an hour?

Old 11-27-2017, 01:36 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,239,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Cost of living would be the biggest factor for why some want the increase. In places like NYC or LA, it probably makes more sense. In places like Branson, MO, probably not so much because it’s much cheaper to live there compared to other large cities. That’s where a federally-mandated hike in the minimum wage can have some serious fallout. It could potentially have some dire consequences for small-town firms.
But NYC and LA already impose a minimum wage higher than what is Federally-mandated. In NYC, It's currently $11, or $10.50 if 10 or less employees. In LA it's $12, or $10 with 25 or less employees. A number of cities and states across the country impose a minimum wage higher than the Federal minimum.

Unless the Feds were to raise the minimum wage nationally to something like $11-$13 or more per hour tomorrow, it wouldn't mean anything to minimum wage workers in some geographic areas like those above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment