Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 08:07 PM

55 posts, read 45,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I have internal IT groups in all of the companies I own. I don't think we have a single college educated, go-getter employee under $30/hour, even entry level. All but a couple of roles would typically be full time with full benefits. We pay interns $12-15/hr. If you are only offered an entry level position for less than $15 you either are in the wrong specialty, the wrong location, or aren't selling yourself very well. And you wasted your money going to college.

Keep looking for better opportunities. Right now most Internal IT departments are limited due to quality resource availability. And consider moving into IT products or services, especially cloud, machine learning, or big data/analytics. They pay better than internal IT although the work will be a lot more challenging and you will most likely need to live in a high cost of living location.

Good luck.
I think you misread my post. I'm still in college.

I do not have my degree so no, I am not in the wrong specialty (I'm actually in a really good one), wrong location or selling myself short. I just do not have a degree yet.

Thanks anyway though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 08:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
FDR:“By living wages, I mean more than a bare subsistence level — I mean the wages of a decent living.” (1933, Statement on National Industrial Recovery Act)
Fdr also didn't mean decent living as having one/two cars per family, enough for each adult. On demand Internet and smartphone plans. He didn't mean cable tv or eating out as much. He also didn't think young adults would live on their own in the hot urban areas of the city without any struggle.

Stop whining about "decent" living when you inflate what he means

Even $100k/year wouldn't satisfy the requirement of "decent" living to some people

Old 11-29-2017, 11:11 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Fdr also didn't mean decent living as having one/two cars per family, enough for each adult. On demand Internet and smartphone plans. He didn't mean cable tv or eating out as much. He also didn't think young adults would live on their own in the hot urban areas of the city without any struggle.

Stop whining about "decent" living when you inflate what he means

Even $100k/year wouldn't satisfy the requirement of "decent" living to some people
Hip urban area = area where you wont be shot to death. There is very little inbetween, its either gentrified or its not, I suppose you could find a place that is in the infancy of gentrification but once owners realize whats going on the prices start shooting up pretty quick becasue no one is going to sell cheap once the key indicators are present for gentrification.

You could live way out in the sticks but then your commute is a god aweful nightmare, I like how the spin doctors play up brutual commutes as minor inconviences (when I am loosing 2-3 hrs of my day that I am not being compensated for thats significant, not to mention the stress of stop and go congestion). So yea people want to live close to work and not get shot at, the elites are good spin doctors - people should have to toil for decades to live in THEIR hip and trendy gentrifeid urban center where you wont get shot.

Let me guess, you lived in a pre gentrifiation area and got lucky and it gentrified and you will be damned if anyone else gets in "free" becasue you have to live with hood rats for a number of years before the first starbucks poped up? Am I getting close.

Phones, cars and avacado toast are not the issues .... LAND is. Real estate is why so many young people are struggling. Dont worry we wont have the money to fund your SS and alot of baby boomers wont have grand kids, have fun with that.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:07 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Why do I think I am? There are a few reasons. I work in education and in my state there are many unfilled positions from teachers to paraprofessionals like me. All of this school year I've done the work of pretty much two or even three people in my role in special education whether it was in structured teaching classrooms or with medically fragile students. Also my role is hard to fill, even in a structured setting when it is about $1.35 above the state's minimum wage and it will likely be minimum wage within two years. Oh and the fact I get a minuet raise while my state's governor can give his staff 20% yearly raises gives me reason to say I'm worth more than what I currently make. The position use to be $2.00 above minimum wage prior to the passing of the state's minimum wage law and now would be under a $1 over. By January 2020, it will be minimum wage. As of right now, $15 is virtually time and a half for me.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:35 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeUnderground View Post

I do not have my degree so no, I am not in the wrong specialty (I'm actually in a really good one), wrong location or selling myself short. I just do not have a degree yet.

Thanks anyway though.
Sorry - this statement threw me off - "Doubt I'll be able to get anything close to 15$ until after I graduate, although I have had my eye on a permanent position that I had been recruited for a few months prior that starts at $14.84, but who knows if there will still be availability."

If you are in an internship at that rate your in the right range.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:37 AM

95 posts, read 89,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Work your way in? You think you deserve to live in my neighborhood in your van? Wrong. Again, if you can't afford to live somewhere on your minimum wage job, move to somewhere you can. You are not entitled to live wherever you want if you can't afford it. That's called being an adult.

I grew up poor on a farm. When I turned 18 I moved out and never moved back. Where I come from people who move back home when they are adults are not acting like adults but rather children. Again, live where you can afford to live.
Mod cut. You make a great slave and your kind will probably survive...dog eat dog right? The kind who loves dogs but never gives a person on the street a dollar?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-30-2017 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Leave politics out of it.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Hip urban area = area where you wont be shot to death. There is very little inbetween, its either gentrified or its not, I suppose you could find a place that is in the infancy of gentrification but once owners realize whats going on the prices start shooting up pretty quick becasue no one is going to sell cheap once the key indicators are present for gentrification.

You could live way out in the sticks but then your commute is a god aweful nightmare, I like how the spin doctors play up brutual commutes as minor inconviences (when I am loosing 2-3 hrs of my day that I am not being compensated for thats significant, not to mention the stress of stop and go congestion). So yea people want to live close to work and not get shot at, the elites are good spin doctors - people should have to toil for decades to live in THEIR hip and trendy gentrifeid urban center where you wont get shot.

Let me guess, you lived in a pre gentrifiation area and got lucky and it gentrified and you will be damned if anyone else gets in "free" becasue you have to live with hood rats for a number of years before the first starbucks poped up? Am I getting close.

Phones, cars and avacado toast are not the issues .... LAND is. Real estate is why so many young people are struggling. Dont worry we wont have the money to fund your SS and alot of baby boomers wont have grand kids, have fun with that.
I call all of this BS. Not sure where you live. But if you can't afford it you need to move for a better job or a lower cost of living. Don't blame anyone but yourself. I know lots of people who moved to 'hip urban areas' (not my term) because they thought the lifestyle would be cool. SF, LA, Seattle, Boston, Vancouver. Of course, they don't have skills that pay a livable wage in those areas but they still want to live there. Great. But they are going to make huge sacrifices to do so. Of course, they could be doing the same job in Chicago, Buffalo, Cleveland, Des Moines, or somewhere else, make a livable wage for that area, live in a safe area, etc but that is not good enough.

I also find it hard to believe that you can't find a minimum wage job where you live, 'out in the sticks'. Walla. No commute.

You can't have what you can't pay for.

Last edited by Stonepa; 11-30-2017 at 07:53 AM..

Old 11-30-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foster913 View Post
[snip] You make a great slave and your kind will probably survive...dog eat dog right? The kind who loves dogs but never gives a person on the street a dollar?
Mod cut: Orphaned (reply to comment which has been deleted). And why do you believe you can live somewhere you can't afford? Just nonsense.

I have several friends that live in their vans. Want to know where? The desert of Utah. The Crystal Mountain ski resort parking lot. Next to some random trout stream in Montana. But not in the city. And they live so far below minimum wage you can't believe it but they live where they live based on what they have and the lifestyle they love.

But you are right about the dogs. Love dogs.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 11-30-2017 at 05:39 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 08:18 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
you talking about govt employees?
No -- some very large old-line major companies.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:09 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeUnderground View Post

Thanks anyway though.
Nice! That's close to what I had when I was at that point when you factor in inflation, although that was MY high range. Another internship yielded me a lower rate, but it was a nonprofit company, so the work was still great, and some of those similar types of work were unpaid to boot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment