Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 12:42 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Fdr also didn't mean decent living as having one/two cars per family, enough for each adult. On demand Internet and smartphone plans. He didn't mean cable tv or eating out as much. He also didn't think young adults would live on their own in the hot urban areas of the city without any struggle.

Stop whining about "decent" living when you inflate what he means

Even $100k/year wouldn't satisfy the requirement of "decent" living to some people
Speaking of "inflate", I see this a lot from the other side of the coin... Many critics seem to think that all people who are struggling can just "skip the $800+ iPhone, skip the 4K TV, skip cable TV, skip eating out, etc." when they already were NOT doing those things! As covered by others, some of them have ongoing medical bills. One person I met had to pay back a huge medical bill for emergency surgery, so making a lot of money doesn't get you very far when that's hanging over your head.

The biggest way to be convinced is to just see for yourself. People who've converted to this sort of thinking became believers when they moved to certain places like certain parts of DC, talked with those people, visited them, and gotten to know them. They're people who hold down steady jobs, have good work ethic, know the differences between "need" and "want", but are still struggling. They too have medical bills to cover, dealing with a nasty divorce, etc. When you're working 2 jobs and need to take care of kids, a sick spouse/parents, or whatever life has to throw at you, it's difficult to "better yourself". THESE are the people who can use a better standard of living.

Yes, there will be slackers who want the good life without putting in the work, but I don't think it's worth it to punish those who are good people just to get to them. It reminds me of that saying we have in our legal system... "better 10 guilty men go free than to lock up one innocent person". In a perfect legal system, the 10 guilty men would be locked up, leaving the innocent person free to go, but we don't have a perfect legal system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 12:46 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Speaking of "inflate", I see this a lot from the other side of the coin... Many critics seem to think that all people who are struggling can just "skip the $800+ iPhone, skip the 4K TV, skip cable TV, skip eating out, etc." when they already were NOT doing those things! As covered by others, some of them have ongoing medical bills. One person I met had to pay back a huge medical bill for emergency surgery, so making a lot of money doesn't get you very far when that's hanging over your head.
so having a higher minimum wage somehow prevents the medical bill? if someone is out of work for surgery at a minimum wage job, they would not have the benefits of sick time, and would be fired...increasing minimum wage to $15/hr would not prevent their firing...

increasing minimum wage does not even give them more money to better themselves, the money gets spent as quick as it comes in...

Old 11-30-2017, 02:41 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,674,386 times
Quote:
increasing minimum wage does not even give them more money to better themselves, the money gets spent as quick as it comes in...
Which is why it stimulates the economy so much better than giving the same amount of money to millionaires through tax breaks.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:25 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,477,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmition View Post
Which is why it stimulates the economy so much better than giving the same amount of money to millionaires through tax breaks.
Bingo!

They did an experiment in Kansas to cut corporate tax rates and it just about bankrupt the state. Come to find out, giving businesses more money doesn't increase business, therefore doesn't increase a need for more workers. Who'd have thunk it? Ask all the Kansans how much they love Sam Brownback these days.

Giving tax breaks to lower income people gives them money, that they will spend, for many of their necessities. That money will most certainly be spent, whereas the elites may very stuff it away in coffers in the Caribbean.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:54 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Again, if you can't afford to live somewhere on your minimum wage job, move to somewhere you can.
And where, may I ask, is that?

https://www.vox.com/2015/5/28/867988...ge-housing-map

"There is no state in the union where a full-time, minimum-wage worker can afford to rent a one-bedroom apartment for less than 30 percent of his paycheck (which is a standard measure of housing affordability)."

Quote:
Fdr also didn't mean decent living as having one/two cars per family, enough for each adult. On demand Internet and smartphone plans. He didn't mean cable tv or eating out as much. He also didn't think young adults would live on their own in the hot urban areas of the city without any struggle.

Stop whining about "decent" living when you inflate what he means

Even $100k/year wouldn't satisfy the requirement of "decent" living to some people

I'm not inflating anything FDR said. I'm not talking about cars, phones, computers, and anything else. What you can't seem to understand is even without the cars, the cable TV, the internet, or eating out, people working a minimum wage job still can't afford a decent living, one where a person's salary should allow him to put a roof over his head, food on the table, pay the bills, and be able to save something from what's left over.

Look at the minimum wage housing map in the article I posted above.

By the way, how do you not eat out when you're living in a motel and you're not allowed to use a hotplate?

Old 11-30-2017, 04:05 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,916,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Bingo!

They did an experiment in Kansas to cut corporate tax rates and it just about bankrupt the state. Come to find out, giving businesses more money doesn't increase business, therefore doesn't increase a need for more workers. Who'd have thunk it? Ask all the Kansans how much they love Sam Brownback these days.

Giving tax breaks to lower income people gives them money, that they will spend, for many of their necessities. That money will most certainly be spent, whereas the elites may very stuff it away in coffers in the Caribbean.

Exactly!

NEVER EVER give big business any tax breaks. The savings only goes to the shareholders or the pocket book of the board members. The tax breaks for business is for them to pass the savings on in raises for their employees from the guy washing the dishes to the person building your product. Not to the board members and other higher ups.

But in my field, were worth between 20+-40 depending market and company. COL is way over inflated in austin.. thus reason i move out to a smaller town but savings gets eat up by gas.. honestly prefer it to be in something that makes me money and gets me places vs some LL pocket book. Pretty much reason why housing in my area is still high due to investors from out of the state/country buying up everything. Went to a house that we liked, and seconds later was bought or on hold from somebody across the world. .Like what they seen online and put a bid/hold on it. Thats got to stop..

Wages are base on your skills, but they do need to keep up with inflation period. Keep the COL low and wages high, then you might get somewhere. But once you get those greedy SOB in the market demanding more because the market bares it.. then it becomes a war. I see the market like FORDS factory line.. keep speeding (increasing prices)it up till somebody complains then mark it and leave as is.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:48 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
Quote:
Giving tax breaks to lower income people gives them money, that they will spend, for many of their necessities.
Not necessarily, though.

As of 2014, 66.4% of Americans filing tax returns that year with yearly incomes of $30K or less, did not have any Federal income tax liability. You can't give tax breaks to people who don't owe any tax to begin with.

Around 1% of those with an annual income $75K or above don't have any Federal income tax liability.

Old 11-30-2017, 04:57 PM

901 posts, read 747,798 times
Quote:
Bingo!

Spend on necessities like big screen TV's, more tattoos, fashion, and entertainment, which is why the poor stay poor.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just hanging out View Post

What do you think YOU'RE worth?

It's more a matter of what is a livable way in the U.S. The current minimum wage is not a livable sustaining wage.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:51 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Before I retired (Forced for health) I was running my own computer consulting business making $100 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment