Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2017, 02:18 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,391,623 times

Advertisements

I walk a mile in their shoes.I care if my fellow citizens cannot support their basic needs because they are not paid a living wage.

It will take a while before employers recognize they will not attract college grads without offering more attractive higher-wage packages.

Where I live, a $15 hr wage for a single person takes some doing to make ends meet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 03:03 PM

416 posts, read 409,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I walk a mile in their shoes.I care if my fellow citizens cannot support their basic needs because they are not paid a living wage.

It will take a while before employers recognize they will not attract college grads without offering more attractive higher-wage packages.

Where I live, a $15 hr wage for a single person takes some doing to make ends meet.
Employers will pay more for college graduates than minimum-wage.

They won’t if the degree is completely unrelated and in some fluff subject matter. Parents need to start insisting that their kids get useful and employable degrees.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:48 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,637,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

And then there is the hoop of not getting the job because you don't have experience. You can get a so called employable degree and still get shut out due to no experience.

Entry level now is 2 years and up. I have even seen ads that state they want 5 years experience for so called "entry" level.

Heck entry level used to mean no experience was required.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,547,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
And then there is the hoop of not getting the job because you don't have experience. You can get a so called employable degree and still get shut out due to no experience.
fyi, companies do not "employ" degrees, they employ the person who can do the job they need

if classes can teach that instead of them doing it in house, great, but that has nothing to do with the degree itself

a degree does not tell someone what skills a person has, it only lists classes that were taken

the person with the degree need to have something other than an appendix of classes on a transcript to compete against people with experience and the same degree (the competition doesn't "start" at graduation, it's been on going since before they were born, they compete against older graduates, and younger graduates, with technology and foreign workers)

Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
It has always been this way. At least since the 1980s. When the minimum wage was raised, those who where earning above it did not get a raise to compensate. It’s what you call, just tough.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:18 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,903,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Employers will pay more for college graduates than minimum-wage.

They won’t if the degree is completely unrelated and in some fluff subject matter. Parents need to start insisting that their kids get useful and employable degrees.
Not true at all.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:10 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
I still say we tie the minimum wage to the local rents. Whatever the average rent for a (let's be generous here) one bedroom apartment is in your county, minimum wage should be enough per month so that that rent is 30% of it. So if you live in San Francisco and your rent is $3500 a month*, then the minimum wage should be $72.92 an hour before taxes. How's that hit you?

Seriously, 30% is the recommended amount people should be paying for rent and in San Francisco, if your rent were $3500 a month, you'd need to be making $72.92 an hour, for a total of $11,667 a month, or $140,000 a year to be able to keep your rent at 30% of your income.

If you can't do the math, go ahead and send me the average rent from your area and I'll do it for you.

*San Francisco Average Rent

As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in San Francisco, CA is $3671 which is a 3.49% decrease from last year when the average rent was $3799 , and a 0.35% decrease from last month when the average rent was $3684.

One bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3377 a month on average (a 0.12% increase from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $4519 (a 1.26% decrease from last year).

Old 12-03-2017, 08:20 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
I would say as an employee at the company I am not worth 15 dollars an hour because I only took it out of desperation and they probably hired me out of desperation. I'm not good at being a people person which is part of what the job requires so I would say I'm not very good at my job.
However I would say I'm worth paying more because of the sad fact that life is expensive like someone else said and as a person I am worth more because of my strong work ethic. I would be happy with more opportunities to make more money that I could do on the side but sadly I cannot find any I can do. I don't drive so that limits me severely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
And when your pizza gets done wrong, who are you going to talk to about it? When I was stocking shelves, it took about 3 hours a week. The rest of the time I cashiered, did bookkeeping, cleaned the store, and ordered those supplies that were to be stocked when they came in.

I have yet to see a machine be able to stock milk by the expiration date.

So since I was already doing all those things and doing them well, would you please explain to me why any manager or owner would spend the money on a machine that could stock my groceries just to save them the cost of paying me for 3 hours a week? How much do you think those machines cost anyway? They're not free, you know.

Ohhh, and while we're on the subject of self checkout, read these and tell me you don't need people cashiering or helping on the self checkout:

Retail Hell Underground: Cashier Hell: Stop Sitting On The Scale, You Idiot!

Retail Hell Underground: Cashier Hell: What Do You Mean I Have To Do It Myself At The Self Checkout?!

We've had self scanning machines in libraries and stores for years now. Have you noticed that we still need cashiers and librarians?

I hate those contraptions. I'm all for better technology in a general sense but self checkout does not fit the bill. If you worked near a talking machine all day you would desire real cashiers even more. I'm at the point where I'm surprised I don't hear them while I'm sleeping. Sometimes I think machines just shouldn't talk. If they had more to say maybe..but it's always the same stuff and the more machines there are the worse it is. Imagine all of those robotic voices greeting you at the same time for 6 hours straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
What a bunch of baloney.

Entrepreneurs and business owners will not risk resources if they can't make a good profit. It's simply not worth their time and effort. If their expenses go up then the price of their products go up. The very examples that you give for minimum wage employees (Fast food and retail clerks) will affect the poor and minimum wage earners first so it will just become a frustrating cycle. Once you violate the free market with synthetic wages it's the beginning of the end.

$15 now... and when that still doesn't get people their cell phones, fast food, tattoos, lottery tickets, alcohol, car, and entertainment (Yes. Those are luxuries; they are not cultural entitlements contrary to how we've been brainwashed.) they will demand more.
Car payments are a necessary frustration. Don't lump a car as a luxury even though they are branded as such.
Yes technically you can get by without one but should you? Unless you mean a sports car but ideally people should have their own car unless they really don't want one and are able to walk everywhere they need to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I used to be a minimum wage supporter but really if people don't want the wage bad enough they shouldn't take the job. I would never work for under $15/hour or at least the prospect of it. $9/hour was a good wage back in 1991 maybe for factory work. It's a joke what places pay but that's why I work somewhere I made $23/hour.
That would be nice but I don't have a competitive bone in my body. I was lucky to get any job so I had to settle for a job I didn't even like for less than 15 dollars an hour with no sick or vacation leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Sheetz is a gas station in the area and they don't have anyone taking food orders and its not an issue at all. You have multiple touch screens, step up to one and you go through the menu and pick what you want, pay for your food and wait for it to be finished.

Most FF will be this way in the future because it costs less in the long run.
Well good thing I don't eat much fast food because I don't like that idea. It's fine for some places but I don't like the idea of it being everywhere. We're already technology dependent as it is do we really need a screen to order our food for us too?
Don't get me wrong I love technology but I also like a break from it in a sense. I know at a few casual restaurants you can order what you want on a screen but I never do that. I just tell the waitress what I want. If you use machines as much as I do which many other millenials do that's too much on your eyes.
I also worry when will it end if they start doing that? We're all going to ruin our eyes if this keeps up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Let this sink in, if you are going to take on $70,000 in debt, you had better have a plan on paying it off. It is a business investment, so have a business proposal on specific income, payment schedule, action plan on how you get there

Taking ☓ class is not a "goal" for a job, it is a goal for completing college, FYI college is not a job placement service

No one forced people to take out loans...
Well the thing is we don't need money to pay the loans we need the loans to just disappear completely. That would be a far better option than worrying about having to pay them. In certain cases it's fine to need to pay the loan but that's if it's a worthy school putting out results but if you're like me and you went to the joke college University of Phoenix you better be forgiving my loans forever because it was most definitely a scam.

Like I said many times before unless you weren't referring to me.
In my case essentially I was forced to take out those loans. If you mean literally no I didn't have a gun put to my head or anything like that but I was left with no other option.
I had no guidance from my parents because my father was too busy trying to ruin my mother (my mom doesn't remember a lot of my childhood because of it). When it came senior year of course the guidance counselor asked me what I was going to do after school. I told them I had no idea. I don't remember exactly what they said but I know they sent me on my way left with more questions than answers. I almost didn't graduate because I was afraid to leave. I was that lost that I ended up playing hooky out of sheer paranoia. I knew I had to do something because I remember the times we were almost homeless when I was 14 (I got my very first panic attack then partially due to that) but what was I to do? The school pushes the idea in your head that you're supposed to go to college and have you go on all these tours to see them. I would have gone to a different school except I had no way to get there so Phoenix was my only option because at that time online classes were not as prevalent. They never warned me that Phoenix was a bad idea. No one did. It wasn't until I already started taking classes that I realized what kind of school they were and I had to finish because either way you have to pay it back.
This doesn't even include the fact I was an introverted person with a learning disability that I didn't even know I had so with my grades I probably wouldn't have gotten into a prestigious college anyway.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:56 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

As of October 2017, average rent for an apartment in San Francisco, CA is $3671 which is a 3.49% decrease from last year when the average rent was $3799 , and a 0.35% decrease from last month when the average rent was $3684.

One bedroom apartments in San Francisco rent for $3377 a month on average (a 0.12% increase from last year) and two bedroom apartment rents average $4519 (a 1.26% decrease from last year). [/i]
People who work in SF usually don't live there. Unlike much of the country, they built a tremendous rail system that goes places quick. I can be in Oakland in 25 minutes from DT San Francisco. I can also head south down the valley, north, west over the hills to the newer developments, etc.

Another factor is weather. A smaller amount of sq ft will suffice. They have filled in some of the swamp/bay down near oakland airport and will be building many thousands of housing units. It will all catch up to some degree - just like singapore and hong kong and NYC (people commute to brooklyn).

Obviously wages will adjust to some extent to the COL. My main point is that anything short of $12-$15 is poverty wages anywhere...or should be.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:27 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,585,544 times
Why do people think they are worth $15 an hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

It's more a matter of what is a livable wage in the U.S. The current minimum wage is not a livable sustaining wage.
(correcting what the spellchecker corrected erroneously)

Last edited by matisse12; 12-03-2017 at 10:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment