Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:28 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,138,678 times

Advertisements

I work in fast food. W/ the same company for a while. The first time around I was working there for 7 years. Never could move up because I was in a small town. They eventually fired me. I went on to work other jobs but then I moved to a bigger city and got a job back with this fast food place again. I really like my job accept for a few things here and there but really I like it and don't have a problem with any of the work. I'm used to a lot of it and know what I'm doing.

But the same thing that happened at my other job is happening here. I feel like I'm being picked on and I'm not sure why me. At this place we have a bigger crew and we all of have responsibilities (besides taking care of customers) but it all depends what shift. My shifts are mostly evenings and nights I do a lot of the cleaning and the extra stuff and help get the place stocked and ready for the next day. I'm not late, I don't ahve an attitude I just do what needs to be done. Lately ive tried to do a bit extra because I'm interested in moving up and maybe being a manager and to do that you have to go that extra mile and prove you are willing to work.

I feel like I'm doing that and more. But my problem is that my manager constantly picks on me. If she gives me a list of 20 things to do and if I don't get to the last one and do it right then she's just awful to me. She picks on me and leaves me notes that call me out. Its just really annoying. What makes me upset about it is that she complains about several people who work there who don't do anything or do as little as they have to, but then I'm actually trying to do my job and help her, get everything done but she still picks on me. To me, I feel like with these other people I work with she has bigger fish to fry but yet I still get notes and called out if something isn't done.

Like I'm on the shift before she comes in. She normally does a walk around the place to amke sure everything is clean and everything is set up. Well if anything isn't she blames me because me and the cook are one of the last ones on shift. Even though the people before me didn't do what they were supposed to do, it causes more work for me and if I don't clean it all up, then I get balmed :/ Its so frustrating.

This is more of a rant than anything else. This is the second time this is happening to me so I'm starting to feel like its me/.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
If you move up, how do you become a manager? Do you stay at the same store? Who promotes you? Do you still report to your manager? She may be threatened that you want to rise.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:26 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
You really need to look for something outside of low end work like that. Low end jobs are full of drama and problems.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 PM

140 posts, read 71,889 times
Sounds like it's just life. People put up with alot of things at work. Maybe consider working days to avoid her

Old 03-10-2018, 07:39 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,123,953 times
I agree with Penny4YourThoughts. That's just life in the fast food industry.

These fast food managers have their own little kingdom at work. It's the only power that they have ever had. They are happy to use it.

Since you are in a bigger city, it may be time to look at other opportunities like an office job. I find office work to be less stressful than fast food.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:24 PM

844 posts, read 2,020,957 times
I agree with others - you write better than a good number of the posters here who seem to have office jobs. You should aim higher.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 PM

251 posts, read 204,203 times
You're not going to succeed here.

Get another gig.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,228,419 times
There are no little jobs, only little people.

Your boss is a little person with a big person complex.

Escape and avoid!

Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,854,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You really need to look for something outside of low end work like that. Low end jobs are full of drama and problems.
Absolutely. At this level of job, you are dealing with people who mostly can't get a job anywhere else. You are not going to find managers who have the skills and mindset to want to bring someone along and see them grow.

Look for a better job.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:24 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,905,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Every executive at McDonalds worked their way up.

EVERY major corporation has a career path.

I find the suggestion that "low end work" has no value to be insulting and inaccurate. And demeaning to people who find rewards doing it.

If everyone who was accuses of doing "low end work" were to quit, their accusers wouldn't be able to function in the world. Healthcare HHA and CNA, Restaurants, grocery stores, farms, hairdressers, ALL retail, gas stations, stock room and fulfillment like Amazon....etc.

I've even had clients of my dog walking business say to my face: "Oh I could never be a pet sitter; I need to use my brain."

Meanwhile, that particular person was cut back in her corporate hours looking for a new job while paying me $100 per day so she could even work and I turn away business I'm so in demand. LOL.

And you better believe I made that point to her.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 03-11-2018 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment